September 15, 2014, 09:28:09 PM

Author Topic: Camera & Lens Focus Calibration  (Read 3609 times)

dvky

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Camera & Lens Focus Calibration
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »
Hello

I am sorry if this topic has been mentioned in another thread previously but I'd wanted to confirm this from photographers that actually use and take pictures daily professionally and print them as fine art for the final product.

How important and off or spot on are the camera and lenses focus that you buy?

For example, a canon 5d mk 3 w/ 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.2, 24mm f/1.4

I am aware that there may be some difference depending on the lens and camera coming out straight from the factory
and may have some minor change during handling, etc

But my current boss insists that the camera and ALL the lenses must be focus calibrated to get that spot on autofocus.
And I have tried finding a store that would do that kind of pin focus service but haven't been quite successful.
Would CPS have that kind of service? or will there be another retailer that offers this ind of service?

I'm sure there are bound to be margin of error in spot on autofocus with different lenses due to various reasons but buying from B&H, Amazon, or Adorama, etc will have such problems?
Micro-adjustments seems to be general answer but I'd appreciate if someone would know of such service.

My boss gets his camera and lens focus service done in Korea but I'm currently trying to buy a 5d mk3 in NYC.
Since my need to purchase this camera is urgent I'd greatly appreciate for some helpful answers.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Dave

canon rumors FORUM

Camera & Lens Focus Calibration
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Camera & Lens Focus Calibration
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
AF microadjustment is the DIY solution, but do it properly with software like Reikan FoCal or a commercial tool like LensAlign.

Yes, CPS will do it - in fact, that need (which far predates AFMA as a feature) is one of the reasons that CPS came into existence.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
CPS or any of the very few Authorized Canon Service centers will do it.  Like Neuro said, Reikan Focal can be used  make adjustments at one focal distance for primes, and two focal lengths at one distance for zooms.
Canon may be able to adjust a lens at different distances and focal lengths depending on the lens.  However, you might have to pay for a super fine adjustment if the lens/camera combination already meets specifications.

AKChui

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
I'm adjusting DIY (so results are approximate), and have found that my 5D3 and two 5D2s are all focusing in front by 1-2 inches for just about every Canon lens I own.  IMHO it is worth the effort, but for everyday users, any mis-focus is probably inconsequential.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »
AF microadjustment is the DIY solution, but do it properly with software like Reikan FoCal or a commercial tool like LensAlign.

Yes, CPS will do it - in fact, that need (which far predates AFMA as a feature) is one of the reasons that CPS came into existence.

Has one use the Reikan FoCal?  How much time is required to calibarate each prime/body pair?  What about a zoom?  Can telephotos be calibrated (300+ mm or longer)?  Has one tried calibrating with converter on a telephoto?

If I lived closer to NJ I would drop all my stuff at Canon to have them check it out.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
FoCal takes me less than 10 minutes per test.  I run several tests per lens - distance of 25x and 50x the focal length, zooms tested at both ends and 1-3 intermediate focal lengths (more for higher zoom ratios).  I've done my 600/4 bare and with the 1.4xIII; I haven't done it with the 2xIII yet as I need to find a vacant football field...

dvky

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
Thanks for the awesome and helpful feedback guys!
I guess i'll try the CPS silver membership and also try DIY with older body and lenses. :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
FoCal takes me less than 10 minutes per test.  I run several tests per lens - distance of 25x and 50x the focal length, zooms tested at both ends and 1-3 intermediate focal lengths (more for higher zoom ratios).  I've done my 600/4 bare and with the 1.4xIII; I haven't done it with the 2xIII yet as I need to find a vacant football field...

600 mm plus 2x at 10x focal length is 12 meters or about 40 feet.  Perhaps a hallway in a house, definitely hard to find a room that big in my house

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

600 mm plus 2x at 10x focal length is 12 meters or about 40 feet.  Perhaps a hallway in a house, definitely hard to find a room that big in my house

10x is generally too close, should be 25-50x.  I will test the 600+2x at 30 and 60 meters (100 and 200 ft).

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »
each camera and each lens is not set to an exact point, but rather to exact tolerances.  As such, you may get a camera and lens combination that is perfect, but likely as not, not.  Think of it this way.  Say a the camera is within spec but at the low extreme, and the lens on the other hand is within spec but at the high end of the extreme.  Although both within spec, together, they will not produce an optimal pic. 
Even if you get good pics without calibrating, you may not be getting the best that your most excellent equipment can deliver.  That is why the AFMA is offered.

I lost confidence in Canon doing the calibration when I shipped my gear to them for calibration prior to a photo safari in August.  When I realized that the pics were at all focused well, I had to make adjustments in the field.  Much better and fortunately, did get some keepers.  Sadly, lost some great, never to capture again pics.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »
You need big spaces for long teles.  Vibration will also skew your results.  The longer the focal length the harder it is to get FoCal to give you consistent results.  Ive given up testing any of my lenses longer than 300mm.  I calibrate them manually using a lensalign setup.

New stuff though has come out with the latest version so I might give it a try again when this snow gets out of here.

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »

10x is generally too close, should be 25-50x.  I will test the 600+2x at 30 and 60 meters (100 and 200 ft).

My error.   25-50x would be about half a football field.  You were not kidding about the distance required.   Garbage on the alley to house is only about 100 feet.  Need a bigger yard

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »
You need big spaces for long teles.  Vibration will also skew your results.  The longer the focal length the harder it is to get FoCal to give you consistent results.  Ive given up testing any of my lenses longer than 300mm.  I calibrate them manually using a lensalign setup.

New stuff though has come out with the latest version so I might give it a try again when this snow gets out of here.

Other the difficulty of supertelephotos, is it worth the investment.    I am trying to get off the accessory (and bag) of the month club.   Need more than 12 steps to get off those habits

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
The latest version (1.8) of Reikan Focal has a Turbocal setting that will AFMA a Canon lens in 20-30 seconds.  However, some cameras like the 5D MK III are semi-automatic and will take a little longer.

http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/33

I've read that the 1D MK III is not recognized, so there will be a fix to 1.8.

woollybear

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »

Do I understand you correctly...zooms...short end tested at 25x and 50x, long end tested at 25x and 50x, and intermediates tested at 25x and 50x...

So a 70-200 would involve 6-10 tests with distances ranging from 1.75m to 10m?

And the results (5diii) would be an average (mean or median?) for the low end and an average for the high end?

And if you'll indulge me one more question...you run a complete, separate series of tests when using a TC?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »