August 21, 2014, 02:28:31 AM

Author Topic: Tried Canon 200-400f/4L IS today & asked the price, told it didn't exist :-)  (Read 6473 times)

Gadger

I went to the 'Focus on Imaging' exhibition at the NEC Birmingham (UK) today, while there I waited to get access to the elevated Canon stand to view their larger lens. Once up there, I checked the available lens to try on the stand, and I asked the Canon rep if there was the Canon 200-400f/4L IS to look at, he disappeared and came out with the Canon 200-400 f/4L attached to a Canon 5DMK3 which looked lost on it  :(

No photos could be taken on a media card, but could shoot away focusing with it and changing the focus distance between the 1 and 1.4 switch.

I was impressed, even got the other half to photo me  :D

I then asked the damaging question, how much, he replied it didn't exist.  About the same time another college asked him to remove it from the stand, it seemed it shouldn't have come out, so I was lucky. Well, it was certainly nice trying it and it was not as heavy as I thought it would be hand held.

Gadger

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
You cannot buy a prototype, the lens is still under development and not in production.  Everyone is waiting for a announcement and release date, but apparently some re-design was done after prototypes were used in the Olympics and some issues uncovered.

However, if you want one, plan on North of $10,000.

Gadger

You cannot buy a prototype, the lens is still under development and not in production.  Everyone is waiting for a announcement and release date, but apparently some re-design was done after prototypes were used in the Olympics and some issues uncovered.

Mt Spokane

Once out, I'm sure it will drop after the first year plus, not a lot, but enough to wait patiently  :)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile

As has been said... "everything is for sale".. I'm sure that if you offered $10,000,000.00 to Canon that they would sell you one.... now THAT would be an early adopter's price premium! :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
What's the approx weight of this lens? Looks to be at least 4kg?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile

Mt Spokane

Once out, I'm sure it will drop after the first year plus, not a lot, but enough to wait patiently  :)
Its very unlikely that prices will drop until a few years have passed, if then.  Price drops for the supertelephoto lenses just do not happen.  No rebates either.  There are only a few made, and a lot of buyers waiting to get them.

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
So undecided whether to check this one out or go for version II of the 400 mm, which is the focal length I use most.

canon rumors FORUM

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
What's the approx weight of this lens? Looks to be at least 4kg?

Apparently it is around 3Kg or so I am told. There is one not far from where I live but have not had a chance to play - must catch him on a good day!
Due to current Canon pricing I don't think I will be interested as I already have 300 & 800mm lenses and am simply not willing to pay (at current rumors) nearly twice what I paid for a near mint 800 for a little 200-400 f4.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Wow.  I thought... eh maybe if it comes around 5 or 6K... I might be able to swing it... but that is just crazy big. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Wow.  I thought... eh maybe if it comes around 5 or 6K... I might be able to swing it... but that is just crazy big.

Swinging it might cause fatalities...
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Shoot! Just downgraded myself from a Rebel to an Eos M :(
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
i am mostly impressed that you got your wife to go with you to that nerdfest! my wife tolerates my nerdery at home but no way could i drag her to something like that! lol.

Shoot! Just downgraded myself from a Rebel to an Eos M

you could put that lens on an Eos M. people would think you are just carrying around a lens...new approach to stealthy photography.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile

For that price you might be able to get the redesigned 100-400 (if they ever make one)

Only way we will see the 200-400 that low is for the Yen to plummet to 150-180 to the USD.  They maybe you could get a gray market 200-400 then.  Of course if the Yen falls that far we have other problems

canon rumors FORUM

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
As a cps member at that show I was allowed to play with it to my hearts content. It's a thing of beauty but they wouldn't say a price

hyles

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I had chance to play with it last bout one year ago at Roma photo show. They did not allow me to take any picture, but it was indeed lighter than i thought. It had quite fast AF but cannot say anything about IQ or price.
It won't be for me, i'd prefer 4002.8 or 600 f4.
Diego

canon rumors FORUM