November 25, 2014, 06:21:29 PM

Author Topic: My previous account just disappeared  (Read 1908 times)

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
My previous account just disappeared
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:57:23 AM »
Hi Craig, I can't seem to login to my old username, I don't know why it got deleted or what. I was never informed if I had committed any violation or anything. I'm keen to recover that account since I'm one of the first 100 to register for this site. Thanks in advance.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

My previous account just disappeared
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:57:23 AM »

simonbratt99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Simon Bratt Photography
Re: My previous account just disappeared
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:48:55 AM »
Hi Ive also lost my old profile, i dont know why, it was called mreco99 and i havent used it for probably over a year, cant remeber. Can it be reactivated?
www.facebook.com/simonbrattphotography
Its good to be liked, even nicer to be paid.

crasher8

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »
I once had mine deactivated by submitting a link to Induro rebates and extended warranty info. The kind of thing you find everyday here for more respected products by more respected members. Lame. Oh well. I guess if the 'right' person complains...

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
I know we periodically purge old accounts as there are tens of thousands that get created during each contest, post once, and then never login again.

We'll also sometimes get a spammer that will create thousands of randomly named, or sequentially named accounts, and then abandon them once they realize they're useless since they can't post links until they've reached a certain post threshold.

Mark 5D Team III (if I'm remembering your old name right) and mreco99 don't show in the user list so they were deleted.

simonbratt99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
Tanks Bvukich

Does that mean they definately cant be revived? because i can search for my old username and still see the threads i took part in.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
Every week, spam robots signup a thousand or more members, but our defensive measures keep almost all of them from posting.

Eventually, we clean up and remove members that haven't logged in for a while.

We do have the ability now to only remove old members who have no posts or only a few, so hopefully active members will not get removed if they take a 6 month break.

Its time to clean up again, but it brings the system to its knees to do tens of  thousand's at once, so it must be done in small chunks.

We cannot retrieve them, but you might be able to signup again with the same user name, I've never tried it.

If a user is gone, he is gone, but the posts may remain.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:06:53 AM by CR Backup Admin »

simonbratt99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
ok, well that has its benefits.
Bit like robbing a bank, hiding for a year, and coming back to civilisation and nobodys looking for you.

Not a big issue. Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »
I know we periodically purge old accounts as there are tens of thousands that get created during each contest, post once, and then never login again.

We'll also sometimes get a spammer that will create thousands of randomly named, or sequentially named accounts, and then abandon them once they realize they're useless since they can't post links until they've reached a certain post threshold.

Mark 5D Team III (if I'm remembering your old name right) and mreco99 don't show in the user list so they were deleted.

^^^None of those apply to me. My previous account was this: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=100

What do you mean "don't show in the user list so they were deleted"? Shouldn't that be the other way around? What are your criteria for deleting usernames? I definitely don't fall into the categories "CR Backup Admin" has mentioned. I can still search for my old posts. Yes, I'm the 100th person to register for this forum after the reformat. But I was already very active even before there was even a forum and we all just commented below the actual article. That is why I chose that username, it was an in-joke during those times before there was a forum (old-timers here would know the "joke" ;) ), same with my signature (another in-joke, used by another poster in an article comment thread then :P).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:41:48 AM by Mark D5 TEAM III »
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »

What do you mean "don't show in the user list so they were deleted"? Shouldn't that be the other way around? What are your criteria for deleting usernames? I definitely don't fall into the categories "CR Backup Admin" has mentioned. I can still search for my old posts. Yes, I'm the 100th person to register for this forum after the reformat. But I was already very active even before there was even a forum and we all just commented below the actual article. That is why I chose that username, it was an in-joke during those times before there was a forum (old-timers here would know the "joke" ;) ), same with my signature (another in-joke, used by another poster in an article comment thread then :P).

If you are not in the user list, your account is gone, that's what he means.  When a user is deleted, there is no entry in the list.  Posts from the user may remain, but his name is shown in black, not red to show that he is no longer a user.

What was your old user name?  Can you post a link to a recent post if there is one.  If you have posted recently, I might be able to find out what happened, but the history disappears pretty fast from the logs with thousands of entries a day.

It seems very unlikely that a moderator or administrator removed you without some good reason.  I'm sure that one of the mods would have mentioned it by now if they recall anything.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »