October 01, 2014, 02:29:03 AM

Author Topic: Review - Canon EF 85 f/1.2L II  (Read 18810 times)

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
Re: Review - Canon EF 85 f/1.2L II
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
Did you have any concern with the gap between the protruding barrel and the outer lens body?

Um, there is no filter. The only filters I use are circular polarizers and ND... but not for that shot.

Maybe you're seeing the front barrel extended slightly?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Did you have any concern with the gap between the protruding barrel and the outer lens body?

Concern? No - it just feels a bit weird when putting it on. But it's such a unique lens in so many ways it doesn't affect how I shot with it.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
There is no need to debate UV filters (again) in this thread. I wish these forums were better moderated.

Agreed - there isn't even a UV filter in the photo, nor do I ever use them, so I'm particularly confused  ???

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
Why is the weight listed as a con? What did you expect, the 85/1.2 to be as light at the 50/1.8?  It's like buying a Porshe 911 and listing its price as a con.

Because I prefer to make a list of 3 or more. And the price of a Porche 911 is a con - if it was cheaper everyone would have it because it's so great!  ;D

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
Have you had the chance to compare the Canon to the Sigma or other 85mm primes?

That was actually the biggest thing I found lacking in the review...a lens like this, with such a huge disparity in price for such little extra...well, it practically screams for a head-to-head comparison. A battle of the 85s, if you will.

b&

If Sigma wants to send us some lenses to review I certainly wouldn't object!

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »
Have you had the chance to compare the Canon to the Sigma or other 85mm primes?

That was actually the biggest thing I found lacking in the review...a lens like this, with such a huge disparity in price for such little extra...well, it practically screams for a head-to-head comparison. A battle of the 85s, if you will.

b&

If Sigma wants to send us some lenses to review I certainly wouldn't object!

Sure wouldn't hurt to ask them!

b&

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »
Great review. Been considering an 85 for a bit.... but I was very un-impressed by the 50 1.2 compared to the 1.4 (across all areas I look for in performance). Guess Ill just rent both and play with em for two weeks possibly toss a sigma in. I feel any more.. id rather just shoot it with my 200 f/2 /shrug.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
There is no need to debate UV filters (again) in this thread. I wish these forums were better moderated.

Agreed - there isn't even a UV filter in the photo, nor do I ever use them, so I'm particularly confused  ???

The photo on the front page of Canon Rumors has a filter on it.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »

Concern? No - it just feels a bit weird when putting it on. But it's such a unique lens in so many ways it doesn't affect how I shot with it.

I think he may be referencing the gap as a dust issue...this lens apparently ends up with more dust inside the barrel with time...it is not weather sealed and the barrel design is frequently cited as a reason that also doesn't help. So it appears to be a concern for some...

I have no strong feelings as there is not any dust in mine...but then again I mostly use it indoors.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »

Ohhhhhhhh, I see now - that's all CRguy. I blame him.

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »

Ohhhhhhhh, I see now - that's all CRguy. I blame him.

So we're in agreement, it's CRguy's fault.

Rui Brito

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »
Went from crop to FF. Night and day with the 85L. Only with FF one can appreciate the 85L, believe. Colors. I used to think "I must think I like the colors and look of the pictures taken with the 85L because it costs a lot" but then my mom comes along and says "wow, beautiful colors on that and that photo". Picked one by one the ones shot with the 85L, and she knows nothing about lenses. Then I knew the 85L is indeed a special lens. Not my first choice on a set of lenses (that would be my 70-200 2.8L IS mkII), but if one can afford one and its time to buy a 85, go with the L, you can´t go wrong.
Just know the AF IS slow. But that´s part of the lens, just like one can not say "MP-E 65? hard to focus, choose another" while it´s true, there is no other like it. Know the lens, master it (I´m far from that). Part of the fun is the challenge.

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
Just know the AF IS slow. But that´s part of the lens, just like one can not say "MP-E 65? hard to focus, choose another" while it´s true, there is no other like it.

That's what's been discussed for the last three pages: there are other options to the 85L, unlike the MP-E 65.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Just know the AF IS slow. But that´s part of the lens...

True, but with this lens using it on a 1-series body makes a noticeable difference in AF speed.  When I went from the 7D/5DII to the 1D X, I found that my 85L II focuses much faster. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
Just know the AF IS slow. But that´s part of the lens...

True, but with this lens using it on a 1-series body makes a noticeable difference in AF speed.  When I went from the 7D/5DII to the 1D X, I found that my 85L II focuses much faster.

So we're at about $10 grand eh? 5DII should be left out of that equation. WORST. AUTOFOCUS. EVER.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »