September 02, 2014, 03:24:25 PM

Author Topic: Best way to organize photos for clients  (Read 2466 times)

norcalniner

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Best way to organize photos for clients
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
Hey everyone, I am about 3 weeks away from a very busy influx of photo shoots and need a little advice. What do you find to be the best way to show your clients the preliminary images to approve? I was thinking of making password galleries on flickr but not sure if there is an easier way. Potentially just use my iPad(wifi with 6d) and let them choose the ones they like right at the shoot? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

canon rumors FORUM

Best way to organize photos for clients
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Best way to organize photos for clients
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
Are these portraits or commercial work?
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

norcalniner

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
Sorry. portrait work

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »
Once images have been processed by me, I put them on an iPad for the clients to look at and choose from. All images are numbered so all clients have to do in tell me which ones they like and how big a print/canvas they want.

Works pretty well for me :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »
If you are doing portrait work, online galleries are notorious for producing LOW sales averages.  The best way to not only raise averages but also gauge reaction and emotion is in person consultation.  Personally, I have apple TV which communicates with my computer, and i have a large screen HDTV, so I display their pictures large on the wall... They get the feel and the look of what a large print would look on a wall.  Others suggest even going projection showing....  Projection with some sales software you could show them exactly how small an 8x10 or 11x14 would look on the wall vs a 20x24 or 30x40...  Pays for itself after a few sales, or so i'm told. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:23:13 PM by awinphoto »
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:22:14 PM »
Also, tools like animoto pro allows you to easily put together stunning slideshows of your sessions which is a great intro into the sales session, and can prove to be a great add-on sale!  Also the software I mentioned in a prior comment was proselect.  It's not cheap, but those who use it swear by it. 

norcalniner

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I think that gives me a good sense of what I need, to be prepared.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »
If you are doing portrait work, online galleries are notorious for producing LOW sales averages.  The best way to not only raise averages but also gauge reaction and emotion is in person consultation.  Personally, I have apple TV which communicates with my computer, and i have a large screen HDTV, so I display their pictures large on the wall... They get the feel and the look of what a large print would look on a wall.  Others suggest even going projection showing....  Projection with some sales software you could show them exactly how small an 8x10 or 11x14 would look on the wall vs a 20x24 or 30x40...  Pays for itself after a few sales, or so i'm told.

I've been watching a LOT of very successful portrait and wedding shooters on CreativeLive past year, and ALL of them say just what this poster said...SELL IN PERSON.
They all attested to seeing their sales and sales dollar per customer skyrocket when they insisted on in studio sales presentations vs showing stuff online

Most all of them offered as a part of a package (they all suggest package sales too...with deep discounts to packages vs higher inflated prices for just single items) or maybe throw in online postings once the physical images wall art sales have been done and paid for.

norcalniner

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »
Also any good tips for online printing (canvases, postcards, etc..)? Initially I was going to just provide print ready products but have had way too many requests for printing to not offer it.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
2 of the best i've seen are Bay Photo Lab (west coast) and Black River Imaging (east)...  prices are similar... worth every penny. 

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 04:44:40 AM »
A one to one consultation is best - either in studio or their place.

I prefer the  clients to come to me as I have plenty of various size canvas hanging on the walls for them to compare sizes / quality etc.

Last week a potentially great client couldn't come to see me so I took three canvas from the wall, an A2, A1 & A0 and took them to their place and held the A0 (120cm wide) canvas against one of the walls in the lounge - the effect was amazing. They loved it.

The point is providing exceptional service as I want my clients to keep coming back to me year after year :)

Good luck
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

jackdorsey

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:15:16 AM »
If you are doing portrait work, online galleries are notorious for producing LOW sales averages.  The best way to not only raise averages but also gauge reaction and emotion is in person consultation.  Personally, I have apple TV which communicates with my computer, and i have a large screen HDTV to organize photos, so I display their pictures large on the wall... They get the feel and the look of what a large print would look on a wall.  Others suggest even going projection showing....  Projection with some sales software you could show them exactly how small an 8x10 or 11x14 would look on the wall vs a 20x24 or 30x40...  Pays for itself after a few sales, or so i'm told.

Thank you all very much. I love the tips on this forum.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »
Also any good tips for online printing (canvases, postcards, etc..)? Initially I was going to just provide print ready products but have had way too many requests for printing to not offer it.

You'll make more money printing yourself and selling wall art...as to just selling images digitally.

Watch the folks on CreativeLive.com....they have some really good folks on there talking how to make serious $$$ in the photography/videography business. Even if you don't shoot weddings, the wedding shooters on CL have great business ideas...and there are other specialty types there talking too (children, portrait...etc).

But again, everything they say is,,,,have them look at the images AT your studio, in person....and you might look into putting together packages to see of wall art/albums.....make those what they buy, price them so that ala-carte pricing is way more $$....

HTH,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »