July 24, 2014, 09:26:36 AM

Author Topic: Alternatives to 5D MK3 viewfinder adhesive mount?  (Read 5455 times)

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
Alternatives to 5D MK3 viewfinder adhesive mount?
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
I'm putting together a Canon 5D III video rig. The rig will be built on a Redrock Micro Shoulder Mount. I have everything picked out except the viewfinder.

Is it possible to find an optical viewfinder that doesn't require an adhesive attachment? Or are there alternative ways to attach these normally adhesive-attached viewfinders?

Ideally, I would like to use a Kinotehnik LCDVF or a Zacuto Z-Finder. I'm wary of using an adhesive frame, both because of the removal hassle and because I will shoot a lot of stills w/o the extra viewfinder.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:23:02 PM by dirtcastle »

canon rumors FORUM

Alternatives to 5D MK3 viewfinder adhesive mount?
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to 5D MK3 viewfinder adhesive mount?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »
I'm putting together a Canon 5D III video rig. The rig will be built on a Redrock Micro Shoulder Mount. I have everything picked out except the viewfinder.

Is it possible to find an optical viewfinder that doesn't require an adhesive attachment? Or are there alternative ways to attach these normally adhesive-attached viewfinders?

Ideally, I would like to use a Kinotehnik LCDVF or a Zacuto Z-Finder. I'm wary of using an adhesive frame, both because of the removal hassle and because I will shoot a lot of stills w/o the extra viewfinder.

Hmm...I'll have to look into that. I didn't think the Zacuto view finders used any type of 'adhesive'...I'd seen videos of people snapping them on and off easily, and didn't notice any type of adhesive used...?

cayenne

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »

Hmm...I'll have to look into that. I didn't think the Zacuto view finders used any type of 'adhesive'...I'd seen videos of people snapping them on and off easily, and didn't notice any type of adhesive used...?

cayenne

You are correct, Zacuto finders mount to a baseplate or sandwich in between the baseplate and camera depending on the style you order.

http://store.zacuto.com/Z-Finder-Pro-2.5x-for-3.2-Screens.html

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »

cayenne

You are correct, Zacuto finders mount to a baseplate or sandwich in between the baseplate and camera depending on the style you order. You can buy a optional adhesive mount, but its not standard.

http://store.zacuto.com/Z-Finder-Pro-2.5x-for-3.2-Screens.html

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
Thank you both. Sorry it took awhile to get back on this.

I got the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro EVF, which is pretty amazing, btw. I can attach it to my shoulder rig using a simple $40 Pearstone articulating arm. But for handheld shooting, I will need to get a Zacuto Gorilla Plate and mounting frame. They ain't cheap, but as I mentioned... I'm not mucking my camera with adhesive. It should pay itself back in used resale value.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »

I got the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro EVF, which is pretty amazing, btw. I can attach it to my shoulder rig using a simple $40 Pearstone articulating arm. But for handheld shooting, I will need to get a Zacuto Gorilla Plate and mounting frame. They ain't cheap, but as I mentioned... I'm not mucking my camera with adhesive. It should pay itself back in used resale value.

Interesting.

So, if you buy the view finder, you have to buy separately the apparatus for attaching it to your camera?!?!

Geez, for the price of that thing, I'd think all the mounting hardware would be included..?!?!?!

:o :o :o :o :o :o

C

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »

Interesting.

So, if you buy the view finder, you have to buy separately the apparatus for attaching it to your camera?!?!

Geez, for the price of that thing, I'd think all the mounting hardware would be included..?!?!?!

:o :o :o :o :o :o

C

I don't know where he bought his, but the baseplate should have been included.

The Z-Finder Pro 2.5x for 3.2” Screens includes:
Z-Finder Pro loupe with 2.5x magnification and diopter
 Three (3) Extender Frames
 Gorilla Baseplate and 3.2” Mounting Frame for Small DSLR Bodies (Canon 5D M3 Nikon D800/600 type cameras)
 Lanyard and Lanyard Hook
 Lens Cap, Sun Mask, and protective boot
 Z-Finder Dust Cover
 One installed and one additional Anti-Fog disc.  This also acts as a lens protector and is expendable.  More can be purchased here. We also have anti-fog wipes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
I appreciate you guys looking out for me on this! :-) I did actually have a missing part from the Cinevate UnoGrip I ordered, but it got worked out over the phone and Cinevate is sending me the missing piece.

I bought the Zacuto EVF from B&H without the baseplate because I'm building a shoulder rig (the Zacuto baseplate doesn't work with my particular configuration of parts.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755493-REG/Zacuto_Z_FIND_EVFP_Z_Finder_EVF_Pro_3_2.html

I totally agree that the price of the EVF is steep. I think it cost 2x what the rest of my rig did. Fortunately, I saved a lot of money by putting together a custom rig with a variety of mostly low-priced and or off-brand pieces. But I didn't see a viable alternative to the EVF for my particular setup. And, again, having used it... wow... it's amazing.

So the Pearstone articulating arm works pretty well for the shoulder rig. But for handheld stuff, I will probably plunk down the extra dough for the Zacuto baseplate setup.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
I appreciate you guys looking out for me on this! :-) I did actually have a missing part from the Cinevate UnoGrip I ordered, but it got worked out over the phone and Cinevate is sending me the missing piece.

I bought the Zacuto EVF from B&H without the baseplate because I'm building a shoulder rig (the Zacuto baseplate doesn't work with my particular configuration of parts.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755493-REG/Zacuto_Z_FIND_EVFP_Z_Finder_EVF_Pro_3_2.html

I totally agree that the price of the EVF is steep. I think it cost 2x what the rest of my rig did. Fortunately, I saved a lot of money by putting together a custom rig with a variety of mostly low-priced and or off-brand pieces. But I didn't see a viable alternative to the EVF for my particular setup. And, again, having used it... wow... it's amazing.

So the Pearstone articulating arm works pretty well for the shoulder rig. But for handheld stuff, I will probably plunk down the extra dough for the Zacuto baseplate setup.

Can you post some pics of your rig? Parts list? I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with!!

C

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
Can you post some pics of your rig? Parts list? I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with!!

Absolutely! As soon as I get that part from Cinevate, I'll take some shots and upload. :-)

Barrfly

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »
 I kind of like this, it looks very sturdy. No adhesives , will fit multiple camera models and looks like you can adjust it to fit a 5D mkIII with or without a battery grip.
Best part it's only $130 bucks !
 I think I'm going to get one.

http://www.carryspeed.com/collections/viewfinders

Barrfly

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
 A follow up to my previous post.

Small | Large
!

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »
I kind of like this, it looks very sturdy. No adhesives , will fit multiple camera models and looks like you can adjust it to fit a 5D mkIII with or without a battery grip.
Best part it's only $130 bucks !
 I think I'm going to get one.
http://www.carryspeed.com/collections/viewfinders

Looks promising! If it lives up to the video, I would use this for handheld shooting, rather than mounting my EVF.

Keep us posted if you get one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »

Barrfly

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
 I literally talked myself into buying one as I was posting the links.
Just finished the online purchase moments ago.   

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
I literally talked myself into buying one as I was posting the links.
Just finished the online purchase moments ago.
WOW!!!

That is impressive.

Please, when you get it....give us a full review!!!

I'm going to look into it....man, I just bought new Manfrotto mono pod, and 504 Video heads, all that use the Manfrotto 501 plate QR system....

I'd looked at trying to go all arca swiss, but just didn't work for what I could afford and needed right now...

So, I'm curious how this would work with my current QR system....will have to look into this.

But again, please give us a review on this after you get it and play with it!

Tickle this thread again so I don't miss it!

;)

Thanks,

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »