October 26, 2014, 01:28:19 AM

Author Topic: Alternatives to 5D MK3 viewfinder adhesive mount?  (Read 6048 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to 5D MK3 viewfinder adhesive mount?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
Just found it $10 cheaper on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/VF-3-Swivi-Universal-View-Finder/dp/B0098N59VA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1365040051&sr=8-7&keywords=carry+speed

Man..this is tempting...geez, this camera hobby is causing me to hemorrhage money this past month and now fresh into this one!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
D@mmit.....

Ok, I bought one too.....looked too interesting!!

I can't film myself for my cooking show without my glasses...due to having to see the Live View for focusing.

In my contacts, my farsightedness is hitting me...so, this way, I can use my contacts, and can use the diopter along with the magnification on the camera to now be able to view and focus for my set ups!!

I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

I got it for $120 shipped on Amazon.

cayenne

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
 I ordered mine from the manufacturer direct , cost $9.00 more but free shipping.
Still waiting.

teedidy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »
I am using a Zacuto z-Finder 3.0. I have attached the adhesive mount to a "Vello Snap-On LCD Screen Protector for Canon 5D Mark III"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=860349&is=REG The Screen Protector snaps on and off very easily when I know I am only going to shoot stills. Most of the time I leave it on (Can cause partial loss of 100% viewfinder unless you really "squeeze" your eyeball in there).
 I further secure it with a single "Zacuto Z-Bands for the Z-Finder"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657226-REG/Zacuto_Z_BNDS_Z_Bands_for_the_Z_Finder.html

I find this solution works great. I always have my RRS plate attached so most of the mounting plates are not an option for me.

5DmkIII, 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/2.8L, 600ex, 600ex, 430ex(I and II) 580ex I, 50D(backup and ML Video), G1Xii

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
Give me the pentaprism any day.  I learned to shoot using an optical viewfinder and just can't see myself breaking the habit.  I do like camera gadgets though, and this one looks interesting.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
I am using a Zacuto z-Finder 3.0. I have attached the adhesive mount to a "Vello Snap-On LCD Screen Protector for Canon 5D Mark III"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=860349&is=REG The Screen Protector snaps on and off very easily when I know I am only going to shoot stills. Most of the time I leave it on (Can cause partial loss of 100% viewfinder unless you really "squeeze" your eyeball in there).
 I further secure it with a single "Zacuto Z-Bands for the Z-Finder"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657226-REG/Zacuto_Z_BNDS_Z_Bands_for_the_Z_Finder.html

I find this solution works great. I always have my RRS plate attached so most of the mounting plates are not an option for me.

Another promising option! Thanks!

:-)

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »
 The Carryspeed viewfinder I mentioned in an earlier post came today, I have to admit I'm pretty impressed .  It's a straightforward design and I had it on the camera in moments with no need for reading the directions. ( A preview of the video before it arrived was very helpful .) 
 This viewfinder does work with a battery grip although you'll have to make one tweak .
Using a phillips screwdriver to pull one screw and flipping the vertical adjustment bars gives it enough reach to fit quite nicely with the grip.

The view is sharp and I must admit thanks to the adjustable diopter I no longer have to fish around my pockets looking for reading glasses to see live view.   
 By the way, kudos to the guy who started this thread , if I hadn't read this I wouldn't have researched looking for a deal nor found this little gem of an item .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »
By the way, kudos to the guy who started this thread , if I hadn't read this I wouldn't have researched looking for a deal nor found this little gem of an item .

Thank you! That was a great find! It would appear the Carry Speed is the best bargain for those who can use (or don't mind) an Arca mount. Now the hard part for me is deciding between lots of good options for my handheld setup!  8)  I will post pics when I get the shoulder rig together (I'm still waiting on a part).

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
Speaking of Carry Speed...

AndreeOnline

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Well, to each their own...

I couldn't imagine using something that would require a baseplate of any kind... Maybe if you're not using a vertical grip that could work.

I've used the Kinotehnik LCDVF for my mk2, mk3 and it will be the first thing i slap on my 1Dc.

The small metal frame gets applied with a silicon-like adhesive that easy to remove if you'd want to (without leaving any trace), but still sticks well enough not to come off accidentally.

The magnets are in the loupe itself (so not permanently attached to the camera) and they have no ill effects whatsoever on LCD screen or memory cards.

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
Well, to each their own...

I couldn't imagine using something that would require a baseplate of any kind... Maybe if you're not using a vertical grip that could work.

I've used the Kinotehnik LCDVF for my mk2, mk3 and it will be the first thing i slap on my 1Dc.

The small metal frame gets applied with a silicon-like adhesive that easy to remove if you'd want to (without leaving any trace), but still sticks well enough not to come off accidentally.

The magnets are in the loupe itself (so not permanently attached to the camera) and they have no ill effects whatsoever on LCD screen or memory cards.

For handheld, I'm also leaning toward a non-baseplate viewfinder (to keep it light and leave the bottom available for a grip). But I'm still 100% averse to adhesive. But that's where a screen protector comes in (and for $25, I might add).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860349-REG/Vello_SPSO_C5DIII_Snap_On_LCD_Screen_Protector.html

Obviously, if you don't mind adhesive on your camera itself, then this is unnecessary. The bottom line here is that all of the options are available. We're not stuck with one method of attaching viewfinders.

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »
New Carry Speed VF-4...

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/lcd-view-finder

Great...I just bought the VF-3....it is in the mail, and they come out with a VF-4???

:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
New Carry Speed VF-4...

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/lcd-view-finder

Great...I just bought the VF-3....it is in the mail, and they come out with a VF-4???

It sounds like the two main changes are: it is sized for 3.2 screens, and it improves access to the buttons on the left.

When it comes to camera gear, I never hesitate to return stuff. I bought a refurb'd Canon 35mm L the same week the latest Sigma 35mm came out. I returned the Canon one day after it arrived. That said, I still haven't ordered the Sigma yet.  :'(

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Same here, but I'm happy with it none the less .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »