July 24, 2014, 07:33:31 AM

Author Topic: Which wireless radio control for the 5D3?  (Read 4419 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Which wireless radio control for the 5D3?
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:56:17 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a radio wireless control for the 5D3 but am unsure of which one to get. I am looking to cover for a distance of about 150-200 feet between myself and the camera. Please advise ...

Thanks in advance ...

--JR
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

Which wireless radio control for the 5D3?
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:56:17 AM »

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
Re: Which wireless radio control for the 5D3?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:08:24 AM »
Check out Phottix Odin. I went with Canon RT (600EX-RT and STE3) but if I had not then I would have went with Phottix. Half the cost of PW and they work better.

By the way there is no specific wireless for your camera. The 5D3 has no wireless features. The only advantage with going Canon RT is you can access and control flash menus for on and off camera flash via LCD screen. Any 3rd party RT will just say for Canon. Canon RT is rated at 100ft.       

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:30:57 AM »
I assume you mean something to trigger the camera, right?  I was in the same boat - I really liked the little Canon RC-1 IR trigger, but while that works with the 5DIII, the 1-series bodies don't have an IR receiver so a radio trigger was the only option.  Canon has an LC-5, it's expensive but for me the real downside was the remote unit is really big.

I picked up a hähnel Giga T Pro II RF remote.  Interval timer, the remote unit is small enough to fit in the palm (for getting in the picture if needed).  I like that the remote unit can actually be plugged directly into the camera if desired (i.e. used as a wired release) for interval timing, etc.

If you do have the Canon -RT system, you can acutally use that to remotely trigger the camera - but using a speedlite or ST-E3 as a handheld remote isn't the most convenient option, IMO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »
Does the RC-1 IR trigger work from the rear of the camera when you are in an outdoor environment.  I've never used this device because I always though that the front mounted IR receiver on the EOS bodies would only work reliably from the front, which would limit the RC-1 to a self portrait snapshot tool.  Second question: does the RC-1 have the ability to hold the shutter open in Bulb mode, without the need to keep your finger on the trigger? 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:03:45 AM »
Does the RC-1 IR trigger work from the rear of the camera when you are in an outdoor environment.  I've never used this device because I always though that the front mounted IR receiver on the EOS bodies would only work reliably from the front, which would limit the RC-1 to a self portrait snapshot tool.  Second question: does the RC-1 have the ability to hold the shutter open in Bulb mode, without the need to keep your finger on the trigger?

No, not from the rear (unless there's something the IR signal bounces off, like pointing your TV remote at a white ceiling).  When the camera is set to Bulb, pressing the RC-1 shutter release once opens the shutter, a second press of the button closes the shutter.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ncsa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
If you already have iOS devices. iPAD, iPhone, then check out the CamRanger - it works very well in remote control / release of the camera.

http://www.camranger.com

Canon 1D3 & 700D | Manfrotto 055 405 468
MP-E 65mm 2.8 | S85mm f1.4 | S180mm APO OS Macro f2.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 II
Godox V850 | AD360

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »
I picked up a hähnel Giga T Pro II RF remote.  Interval timer, the remote unit is small enough to fit in the palm (for getting in the picture if needed).  I like that the remote unit can actually be plugged directly into the camera if desired (i.e. used as a wired release) for interval timing, etc.

+1. I have this and its very good, its more than just a simple trigger, with an intervalometer etc built in. One annoying thing with it, for me anyway, is that the remote will power off after a minute or so, therefore if you are scouting about with your camera set up and see something you want to shoot and you haven't used the trigger for a few minutes you need to turn it back on again, which takes time. It might be possible to change the standby duration in the settings but I've never got round to checking.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
Thanks digital.paradise

I was actually looking only for a remote that could simply trip the shutter but will keep your advice in mind as my speedlites increase in number.

Thanks ncsa!

Camranger looks interesting. It'd be great to complete live view on the iPad / iPhone. Pity they don't ship it to India. I tried a search and it looks like a similar product is available for preorder at BH photo-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916082-REG/sanho_sahdcm_cameramator_wireless_tethered_dslr.html

How do the specs compare to the Camranger? Also, will the camera LV also be active while using Camranger?

Thanks Neuro!

I will buy the Giga Pro II. It's got a pretty good reach of 100m and will meet my requirements nicely.

Thanks Stoneysnapper!

Do you lose the settings if the trigger turns off? If not, I probably could live with it the same way my phone locks up after every 5mins  ;)
Light is language!

Jeff H

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
+1  I have the Camranger. It is a great tool for controlling my 5d3.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »
I got a Velo one that has worked GREAT so far....I've done time lapse from it, and used it to take pictures of myself with my family...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GMVGGE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might give it a look...you can do it wireless or wired.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
I dont believe you do lose the settings, i.e. if you have it set on burst mode it will be there when you switch back on. Just to note that the receiver does not auto power off. You have to remember to switch that off when you put it back in your bag!

I had a good look at the Camranger yesterday at Focus 2013. Its actually really neat piece of kit, however its £270 and I was very tempted but I'm pretty sure I could find something that I will use more often to put my £250 towards.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

ncsa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
When CamRanger is connected to the camera body LV on the camera is not operational, this saves on batteries for one.  All controls are sent to the iOS device, they are developing Andriod and have a beta OS X client which works well.

Thanks digital.paradise

I was actually looking only for a remote that could simply trip the shutter but will keep your advice in mind as my speedlites increase in number.

Thanks ncsa!

Camranger looks interesting. It'd be great to complete live view on the iPad / iPhone. Pity they don't ship it to India. I tried a search and it looks like a similar product is available for preorder at BH photo-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916082-REG/sanho_sahdcm_cameramator_wireless_tethered_dslr.html

How do the specs compare to the Camranger? Also, will the camera LV also be active while using Camranger?

Thanks Neuro!

I will buy the Giga Pro II. It's got a pretty good reach of 100m and will meet my requirements nicely.

Thanks Stoneysnapper!

Do you lose the settings if the trigger turns off? If not, I probably could live with it the same way my phone locks up after every 5mins  ;)
Canon 1D3 & 700D | Manfrotto 055 405 468
MP-E 65mm 2.8 | S85mm f1.4 | S180mm APO OS Macro f2.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 II
Godox V850 | AD360

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
If all you need is to trip the shutter, the Phottix Strato II includes the necessary cables to remotely trigger the shutter release, and also can function as remote strobe/speedlite trigger.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »

darth mollusk

• Power Shot G16
  • naturalist²
    • View Profile
    • nature and wildlife photography
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
I assume you mean something to trigger the camera, right?  I was in the same boat - I really liked the little Canon RC-1 IR trigger, but while that works with the 5DIII, the 1-series bodies don't have an IR receiver so a radio trigger was the only option.  Canon has an LC-5, it's expensive but for me the real downside was the remote unit is really big.

If you do have the Canon -RT system, you can acutally use that to remotely trigger the camera - but using a speedlite or ST-E3 as a handheld remote isn't the most convenient option, IMO.

One more somewhat annoying feature of the hähnel Giga T Pro II RF - and I didn't know this until I bought it.  The 2.4 GHz frequency is also used by most wireless internet routers.  If you are in wireless range the signal to your camera will be cancelled and the radio unit won't work.  Mine works at home only if I switch the router wireless signal off.  Could be a deal breaker for anyone wanting to use a wireless remote in any urban setting.
Canon 7D • Tokina 11-16 2.8 • Sigma 120-300 2.8 • Canon 17-55 2.8

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »
If all you need is to trip the shutter, the Phottix Strato II includes the necessary cables to remotely trigger the shutter release, and also can function as remote strobe/speedlite trigger.

+1
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »