April 24, 2014, 02:29:26 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 25857 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« on: March 07, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
*UPDATE 2*
The battery does help a camera body autofocus an EF lens faster.

From Chuck Westfall… “In addition, the EOS-1D X achieves a higher lens motor drive speed with select L-series USM telephoto lenses than the 5D Mark III because of the 1D X’s more powerful battery pack.” [source]

Thanks Edwin

*UPDATE*

Some discussion has come up about AF performance being affected by battery voltage. The LP-E4 style batter in the 1D series is 11.1 volts, while the LP-E6 is 7.2 volts. I do not have the technical papers of the relationship between voltage and AF performance on for EF lenses. If such an article exists, I would love to see it. We were passing on information that came to us from a new source.

What to expect?
We’ve received some interesting information about the development of the EOS 7D Mark II.

We’re told at least one variation of the camera being developed has an integrated grip, really making it a “Baby EOS-1D X”. We’re told that the larger battery seen in the EOS-1D X is part of the reason it will autofocus bigger lenses better than a camera with say an LP-E6. If this is going to be targeted at sports and wildlife photographers, the bigger battery makes a lot of sense. I would expect the camera to be somewhat smaller, as the mirrorbox and prism wouldn’t need to be as large. It’s sounding like Canon is really going to test how much people are willing to spend on an APS-C body.

It is a 2013 camera by all indications, most likely the late summer/early fall.

No other specifications were mentioned.

cr

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:47:19 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« on: March 07, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »
Integrated grip and a high-density AF sensor?  Very, very interested.  Throw in noticeably better high ISO performance than the current 7D and I'm sold...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mehmetski

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »
It is very interesting and very hard to believe. Canon can be a BIG game changer if it can release such a camera.

SDsc0rch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:16:11 AM »
sounds "good"  -  fun

dont "need" it - but would definitely "want" one :)

would get it eventually I'd say..
 8)

bseitz234

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
It is very interesting and very hard to believe. Canon can be a BIG game changer if it can release such a camera.

I think this would be a game changer IF it comes in under $2.5k. If the initial release price is much more than that, then it'll just be a case of moving the 7d up in the marketplace, which really isn't remarkable. Moving the featureset up and keeping the price reasonable (note I consider $2k or $2100 reasonable, in this case) would be the market-defining move.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

docsmith

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:55 AM »
This could make a lot of sense.  But it does not sound like a $2,000 camera body.  I'd expect a "mini-1Dx" to be significantly more than $2k.  We may learn a lot with the 70D announcement.  If the 70D has the features of the current 7D (with a few enhancements) and is priced ~$1,400-$1,700 it will look like Canon is setting up the 7DII to be a "mini-1Dx."

This path would make both the 70D and 7DII very interesting cameras with distinct niches.  Wow.  I'll be impressed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:52:24 AM by docsmith »

HarryWintergreen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
At last something to write home about by Canon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »

docsmith

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »

I think this would be a game changer IF it comes in under $2.5k. If the initial release price is much more than that, then it'll just be a case of moving the 7d up in the marketplace, which really isn't remarkable. Moving the featureset up and keeping the price reasonable (note I consider $2k or $2100 reasonable, in this case) would be the market-defining move.

You mean to potentially be the replacement of the 1DIV?  Maybe not remarkable, but a very interesting and, assuming some other improvements, a very desirable camera to many photographers. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:53:00 AM by docsmith »

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
Integrated grip and a high-density AF sensor?  Very, very interested.  Throw in noticeably better high ISO performance than the current 7D and I'm sold...

+1
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

TW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
integrated grip
Not something for me then...

-h

+1

Deal-breaker for me. Would be a shame; I've been looking forward to a replacement for my 7D purely for improved noise & DR. Everything else about the camera suits me perfectly, including the size and shared battery with my 5Dii. If I wanted a boat anchor, I'd buy a 1Dx.
Oh well, it appears we'll get a chance to learn about the 70D first, and then see what happens with the 7D. :-\
35+ years of Canon gear...good grief! Still have 2 FTb cameras in working order, too!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »
I think this would be a game changer IF it comes in under $2.5k.

It almost certainly will not be that cheap.  I'd expect a camera that's billed as a 'mini 1D X' to be priced in the $3500-$4000 range. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jackson_Bill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:21 AM »
improved high iso performance - mandatory
more focus points - nice to have
integrated grip - not so much. More weight and my LowePro 600 is pretty heavy as it is with the old 500 in it.

docsmith

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:04 AM »

It almost certainly will not be that cheap.  I'd expect a camera that's billed as a 'mini 1D X' to be priced in the $3500-$4000 range.

That sounds about right on the price.  Although it really depends on features.  If it has new sensor tech that is very impressive, I could see it coming in over $4k.  Rehash of the same sensor technology, but with 1DX AF system, great weather sealing, maybe 24 MP, then ~$3k. 

From a structure standpoint it would put the 5DIII and the 7DII beneath the 1Dx at about the same price point with the 5DIII being FF aimed at event and portrait photographers and the 7DII being aimed at sport/wildlife photographers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:04 AM »

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »

Absolutely. The thing that caught my eye was "mini 1dx" that to me should read, "it's going to be expensive". I think the price point of the 70d when released should tell us where the 7dii will slot in.

pierlux

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
We’re told at least one variation of the camera being developed has an integrated grip

So there is at least another with optional detachable battery grip: I would prefer this one.

We’re told that the larger battery seen in the EOS-1D X is part of the reason it will autofocus bigger lenses better than a camera with say an LP-E6.

Which means using 2xLP-E6 in the grip should allow the same autofocus performance, and, I would add, should also allow driving a burst speed of 12+ fps, a feature which would draw even more current than a big lens AF. Again, I'd rather have the opportunity to choose whether to configure a fully performing camera or to go light if needed.

Whatever the production model will be, I'm confident the 7DII is going to be a monster camera. Now let's hope the sensor performance will be up to the expected amazing specs. :P But I'm figuring its release not earlier than 2014. :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »