December 18, 2014, 09:31:18 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 32870 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
$3500-$4000 range will be fine IF the 70D ends up being a 'replacement' for the 7D/50D . . . especially price-wise.

I highly suspect that, once these two are announced that rebel owners are going to seriously agonize over what to purchase when the 7D becomes absurdly cheap, vs. new, more expensive cameras. (think new 5DmkII under $1500)

Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »
I think this would be a game changer IF it comes in under $2.5k.

It almost certainly will not be that cheap.  I'd expect a camera that's billed as a 'mini 1D X' to be priced in the $3500-$4000 range.

my bet 3299$

Could be.  There's logic to having it come in a bit cheaper than the 5DIII MSRP. 

We’re told that the larger battery seen in the EOS-1D X is part of the reason it will autofocus bigger lenses better than a camera with say an LP-E6.

Which means using 2xLP-E6 in the grip should allow the same autofocus performance, and, I would add, should also allow driving a burst speed of 12+ fps, a feature which would draw even more current than a big lens AF.

No, dual LP-E6 ≠ one LP-E4N.  With two batteries in a grip, the voltage output of them is not added, they are used in an alternating sequence. The 1-series bodies drive lens AF motors faster because the battery delivers a higher voltage.

It should have nothing to do with the fps, either - adding a grip to a dSLR isn't required for higher frame rate AFAIK (although it was with film bodies to drive the film winder faster).  Even with Nikon bodies where the grip provides a higher frame rate, there's a firmware hack that enables that higher frame rate without the grip, i.e. the higher frame rate with grip is a Nikon marketing ploy to sell an expensive accessory.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
Sounds like a killer camera.  I skipped the 5DMKIII in favor of keeping my 5DMKII and have slowly been saving up for the 1Dx - the 5DMKIII just was not enough of a leap to justify.

Now the 7DMKII - would be nice to have some reach back.  As long as it has awesome AF, decent ISO, could be a real winner.  I like the integrated grip, that saves me $100 going aftermarket or $250 going Canon and I have had a grip on my camera for as long as I can remember. 

Price.  Will have to see.  Not sure I can see Canon pricing the 7DMKII more the the 5DMKIII.

I am not thinking a $2K camera, but probably in the $2599 to $2899 range

Real tempting for pre-sale, but thinking if it is close to rumored specs and anywhere close to my range estimate, then likely hunt for holiday sale

mbj68

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »
Integrated battery and a dual memory card slots (CF and SD) and I am defintely in!

Stichus III

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
Integrated grip and a high-density AF sensor?  Very, very interested.  Throw in noticeably better high ISO performance than the current 7D and I'm sold...

improved high iso performance - mandatory
more focus points - nice to have
integrated grip - not so much. More weight and my LowePro 600 is pretty heavy as it is with the old 500 in it.

They really need to improve on image quality and noise performance at all iso's. 

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
Glad Canon has finally decided that the prosumer (none 1D-series) bodies/consumers deserve serious tools. With the demise of the APS-H sensor I feel abandon by Canon.  I want something with more reach than a FF body - 500mm is long enough for me, 600 is a challenge to travel with (not to mention to hand hold, ...).

A great [professional] APS-C camera would be wonderful - couple this with the [hopefully] soon to be released 200-400 body, and Canon has a winning combination

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »
Hmmm, this does sound quite interesting.  It sounds like this camera will be positioned to have better features than the 5D3 just with a crop sensor.  If it is using the 1D battery it will have to have a 1D body.  Add the extra FPS and (Hopefully) a sensor that can cope with low ISO noise, I cannot see canon pricing this less than the5D3.  I am guessing it will come in right around $3,500.  That way most of us will complain about the price but they will still be sold out for months anyway because all of the sports and bird photographers will line up to put in their orders.  Then like the 5d3 the price will come down to more reasonable ($2,800 street price with occasional $2,500 sales) levels.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
I think this would be a game changer IF it comes in under $2.5k.

It almost certainly will not be that cheap.  I'd expect a camera that's billed as a 'mini 1D X' to be priced in the $3500-$4000 range.

That sounds about right on the price.  Although it really depends on features.  If it has new sensor tech that is very impressive, I could see it coming in over $4k.  Rehash of the same sensor technology, but with 1DX AF system, great weather sealing, maybe 24 MP, then ~$3k. 

From a structure standpoint it would put the 5DIII and the 7DII beneath the 1Dx at about the same price point with the 5DIII being FF aimed at event and portrait photographers and the 7DII being aimed at sport/wildlife photographers.

Ooops. Quite a price. Will be intresting how much high ISO improvement in IQ there will be in such a crop body compared to a 5D/6D
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »
Hmmm, this does sound quite interesting.  It sounds like this camera will be positioned to have better features than the 5D3 just with a crop sensor.  If it is using the 1D battery it will have to have a 1D body.  Add the extra FPS and (Hopefully) a sensor that can cope with low ISO noise, I cannot see canon pricing this less than the5D3.  I am guessing it will come in right around $3,500.  That way most of us will complain about the price but they will still be sold out for months anyway because all of the sports and bird photographers will line up to put in their orders.  Then like the 5d3 the price will come down to more reasonable ($2,800 street price with occasional $2,500 sales) levels.

You can already get the 5DMKIII for just a little over $2500

Has Canon ever prices a higher number series more than a lower number? 

i.e. in the 1D > 5D > 7D chain and same down to the 60D etc

My guess is the FPS will be around 10, the ISO useable at 6400 and and 12800  / 25600 expansion giving the 5DMKIII a little better ISO and the 1Dx faster fps and more ISO

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:06 AM »
I have never considered the integrated grips as a plus. A *truly* integrated grip as those in the 1 series is actually a major gripe of mine.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
I dunno, this all sounds like it would make a great camera, but it doesn't seem like a logical step from the 7d, at least in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I see the point of releasing a sort of followup to the 1d series, but integrated grip and price well north of $3k sounds like it should be a "4d" or whatever you want to call it- a 1dV, so to speak. That was is so much of the beauty of the 7d- manageable size and weight, and a very attractive price. Sure, this would be a great camera for sports/wildlife shooters, but it seems to be getting too close to the 1dx and too far from the 7d. If this is really the 7d2 that goes into production, upon the announcement I'll immediately go buy more LP-E6es and another 7d, and be set for a long time...

Also, I can't help but mention the two things that no one else has: this is one of many prototypes, and it's a CR1. So honestly, I'm not too worried about the fate of the beloved 7d line just yet.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
They really need to improve on image quality and noise performance at all iso's.

True, but it's all relative.  I consider anything over ISO 400 to be 'high ISO' on the 7D.   ;)

I have never considered the integrated grips as a plus. A *truly* integrated grip as those in the 1 series is actually a major gripe of mine.

This is one of those 'less filling/tastes great' debates with no right answer. For people who don't routinely use a grip, an integrated grip just adds weight and bulk they don't want/need. For people who do routinely use a battery grip, the integrated grip is a plus compared to the add-on (no flex so it's much better for tripod shots; better ergonomics, for example the second multicontroller on the 1D X is ideally placed, and it's location falls right at the junction of the 5DIII with it's grip, so it's in a different place on the BG-E11).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »
Anyways, as rumors go, this is rated only as a CR1....

We are still waiting for that CR2 rated 35L II and 100-400 II that made appearances several times over the years. :D

Relax... enjoy the winter. 
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
10 FPS.

61-point AF W/ spot metering per focus point.

High Voltage for faster AF.

Integrated Grip.

1D Weather sealing.

New Sensor tech.

Expect a ridiculous price tag.

ehouli

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »
The actual 7D is a great camera and really like it's AF. What drives me mad is the noise even at ISO 200, the benefits of the 18mp resolution for cropping is not worth.

I don't think Canon will have better sensor technology readily available with lower noise... I'd have preferred that they made a whole new 18mp sensor with better noise handling and really improved DR that the actual 7D is lacking, at least they should come close to what the Nikon D7000 (not the D7100) did with 16mp to have something to be called Updated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »