October 23, 2014, 11:52:22 AM

Author Topic: need advise on what speedlite?  (Read 4148 times)

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
  • Someday, somewhere I'll get it right!
    • View Profile
    • Onedumbphoto (One dumb photo a day, everyday!)
need advise on what speedlite?
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
Hi, i am a former canon DSLR Shooter that has had experience with the canon 580ex when I was shooting weddings in 2000's.  A little over two + years ago i sold all my canon gear and switched over to M4/3.  to make a long story short almost a month ago i switched back to using a DSLR.  I purchased the 6d with a few lenses funded by selling of all my M4/3 gear.

I purchased the canon 270exii just as a simple flash that could be bounced while taking photos indoors of my kids and other things.  For what it cost and what it's worth, it's fine for that.  I now want to invest in a better speedlite. that's where your help comes in.  Let me give you an idea of what I would like to achieve.  I really want to be able to use the flash off of the camera on a stand of some sort, i just think it creates a visually better looking photo. again this will mostly be used of taking photos indoors.  I also want to be able to use the flash with a soft box. I would like TTL functionality.  I also want to take better portraits of my kids.  Maybe get a backdrop and add another flash down the road etc...

So, i was looking at the canon 600ex-rt and the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter, yes i know a 900.00 investment is a lot but is it worth it for what i want to do. Or for now should i just look at the 430exii or the 580exii and get a pocket wizard or some other radio transmitter. 

or am i better off getting some sort of studio strobe and can add on to it as needed.

Please feel free to comment, make suggestions and help me in any way

thanks for your help,
anthony

canon rumors FORUM

need advise on what speedlite?
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: need advise on what speedlite?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
I'd bite the bullet and get 2x 600-RT's so you could still use AF-assist and have a flash off-camera.

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
I'd bite the bullet and get 2x 600-RT's so you could still use AF-assist and have a flash off-camera.
Ramon, I checked out your site, magical work with that 50 1.2. really great work.

Anthony

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
Ramon, I checked out your site, magical work with that 50 1.2. really great work.

Anthony

Thanks, I really need to update it soon though. So much has changed...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »
So, i was looking at the canon 600ex-rt and the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter, yes i know a 900.00 investment is a lot but is it worth it for what i want to do. Or for now should i just look at the 430exii or the 580exii and get a pocket wizard or some other radio transmitter. 

or am i better off getting some sort of studio strobe and can add on to it as needed.

Indoors, with a small number of subjects, a Speedlite based setup can be fine.  I'd recommend checking out Syl Arena's excellent Speedliter's Handbook

If you're going to put the flash in a softbox, the more power the better - the 430EX II does ok with a smallish softbox (I use them in Lastolite 24" Ezyboxes), but they need to be pretty close to the subject.

If you're going to be shooting outdoors, trying to overpower the sun, a monolight setup is better (can be done with Speedlites, but you have to gang several of them together inside a modifier to have sufficient power). 

Cost is another concern - an excellent monolight like the Paul C. Buff Einstein 640 costs less than a 600EX-RT. 

Personally, I have an Einstein and 3 speedlites (one 600EX-RT, two 430EX II's), and I trigger with PocketWizards.  The advantage there is that I can trigger Speedlites and the monolight with the same system.  The powerful monolight lets me use a nice, big softbox (a 48" octabox) for soft, 'wrap-around' light.

If I was going to go with a Speedlite-only system, I'd definitely get the 600EX-RT + ST-E3-RT, or multiple 600's. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
I have two 580EXII's and they are great and I have used Yongnuo RF-602's and most recently 622c's (TTL) triggers and they are great. With the 622c's there are no line of sight issues and you can remotely bump power up and down all from the camera position and they are only $90 for a pair. You can go cheap and pair them with the excellent Yongnuo 568EX for $180 and have radio controlled off camera flash that supports HSS - all for under $300.

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
I ordered the 600ex-rt and the Canon ST-E3-RT and also the yn622c. I'll do some testing to see what setup I like better. I will report back my findings.

Anthony

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 06:00:31 AM »
I like the fact that the 622 trigger doubles as an AF assist light. :-)
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »
I like the fact that the 622 trigger doubles as an AF assist light. :-)
I do too! I also like the fact that you can control both flashes using ratios. I will be testing some more tonight.

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »

i first thought (3 years ago) about buying two 580 EX II.
but you get two 430 EX II for the price of one 580 EXII (nearly 3 today for the price of a 600 EX RT).
then i thought i am much more flexible (and have more power) with two smaller flashes.
so i bought one 580 EX II and two 430 EX II.
 How do you find the output of the 430's?  I'll probably keep the 600 with yn622c and add a 430 as a kicker. Thoughts?

Anthony

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
Still in the process of testing, but here's what I can tell you so far. The canon st-e3-rt is definitely going back, and i will keep the yn622c's.  I will probably keep the 600ex-rt a because I basically paid for it what a 580ex ii cost.  I am going to add a 430exii to have a basic 2 light setup for portraits with some soft boxes and umbrellas. Another question I have is, will 2 430exii give me the same results as having a 600 and a 430? I can get 2 430exii for less than what I paid for the 600?

Thoughts?

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »
Still in the process of testing, but here's what I can tell you so far. The canon st-e3-rt is definitely going back, and i will keep the yn622c's.  I will probably keep the 600ex-rt a because I basically paid for it what a 580ex ii cost.  I am going to add a 430exii to have a basic 2 light setup for portraits with some soft boxes and umbrellas. Another question I have is, will 2 430exii give me the same results as having a 600 and a 430? I can get 2 430exii for less than what I paid for the 600?

Thoughts?
I don't have a 600 but I do have two 580exII's. The 600ex-rt will give you more power than a 430exII. In many situations you won't need it but when you do it is nice to have something up for the task.

As an alternative, you could go off brand and pickup a Yongnuo 568ex from eBay for $180.

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »
Anthonyhnj,

Can you tell more about why you're not keeping the ST-E3-RT?  What are it's benefits or shortcomings relative to the Youngnuo 622Cs for what you're doing?  Just curious since I am considering buying it.

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »

+1

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 12:56:25 AM »
Anthonyhnj,

Can you tell more about why you're not keeping the ST-E3-RT?  What are it's benefits or shortcomings relative to the Youngnuo 622Cs for what you're doing?  Just curious since I am considering buying it.

Thanks
notapro,
The only real reason why I'm not keeping it is because I don't want to buy another 600ex-rt
IMO, with only one 600 it serves no purpose.  I could do the same with the yn622c for only 90.00.
However, that being said I am getting mixed results using a 600 and 430ex ii with the yn622c's

Anthony

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 12:56:25 AM »