April 19, 2014, 05:03:48 PM

Author Topic: CF Cards - Where do you buy yours?  (Read 3373 times)

360_6pack

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: CF Cards - Where do you buy yours?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
I live in Perth West Australia. Bought 5D III May last year in Perth. Lexar 32gb 1000 cards were over $250 each here. I bought 2 from B&H on a sale acfter reading about it on this site. Paid for airfreight and had delivered within a week. Great service. I was able to track consignment all the way. Total $320. Definitely the say to go. At the time the B&H deal was $25 cheaper after adding in freight than Adorama and the freihht was quicker.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »

Stewbyyy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Stuart Comerford Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
i can't believe people use Lexar....

I've had 3 fail...and any other pro's i talk to have had same experience and lost stuff..

everyone (in ireland) using sandisk for a while now...

I'm Irish and 95% of my CF cards are Lexar, I have 1 Sandisk and 1 really old 2GB Fuji card.

I've never had a Lexar card fail on me. I buy all of mine from Amazon UK and they're the best cards I've ever had for such a stellar price.

Orangutan

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: CF Cards - Test not Trust
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
Here's my standard advice.  Sure, buy a decent brand from a reputable dealer, but don't leave it there.  I've bought mostly cheap cards from Amazon and Newegg (a lot of Transcend).  But I always test them thoroughly before I use them for anything important.

The easiest way to test a new flash card is using a disk wipe program, such as DBAN.  You make bootable media (CD or flash drive) and it wipes attached drives by overwriting several times.  I typically do a 20-pass operation on each new card.  If the card is good after 20-passes, it'll probably be good in the field (assuming you treat it with reasonable care).

CAUTION!!!: It's best to do this on a machine without a hard drive so you don't accidentally wipe your computer down to entropy.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »
Is there some reason why Google won't answer this question for you?

Google does have the answer to most questions, doesn't it.

However, I had never even considered buying my CF cards from the US before, and only discovered they were almost half the price of the UK by mistake. That's why I wondered whether other CR members in Asia and elsewhere outside the US, buy their cards there. Google probably couldn't answer that question, though it might be able to once it finds this thread. I also wondered whether the US was the cheapest, or whether I had missed somewhere else.

In fact this little discovery (for me at least) means I might be buying a bit more than just CF cards from the US in future.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:21 AM »
Is there some reason why Google won't answer this question for you?

Google does have the answer to most questions, doesn't it.

However, I had never even considered buying my CF cards from the US before, and only discovered they were almost half the price of the UK by mistake. That's why I wondered whether other CR members in Asia and elsewhere outside the US, buy their cards there. Google probably couldn't answer that question, though it might be able to once it finds this thread. I also wondered whether the US was the cheapest, or whether I had missed somewhere else.

In fact this little discovery (for me at least) means I might be buying a bit more than just CF cards from the US in future.

Quite a lot of people from outside of the USA buy goods from inside the USA. Generally this has been because the price tag on the same goods in the USA is less than elsewhere but more recently, the US dollar has been worth substantially less and the savings add up.

For some people it is cheaper to fly there, buy various things in the store (paying sales tax) and fly home than to buy it in their own country. Go figure. I seem to recall reading stories about the 1DX and people from England doing exactly that...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:21 AM »