Image & Video Galleries > Canon EF-S and EF-M Lenses

Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

(1/4) > >>

Mt Spokane Photography:
I decided to take advantage of the Canon Loyalty Program and trade in my old film SLR for a $296.79 discount off the refurbished price of the Canon 7D.  I also added a refurbished Canon 15-85mm lens in with it.

It arrived today, and since i've heard a lot of people ask what a refurb looks like, I snapped a couple of photos.

Basically, it arrived in a white box marked Canon Refurbished.  It was very well packed in the box, and had all the usual paper wark and 90 day warranty.  I looked the lens over, shook it, and decided that I could not tell it from new, it looked perfect, as did the camera body.

I already had a charged battery from my 5D MK II, so I formatted a 8GB flash card in my PC and took a few photos.  My first impressions were that they were sharp enough, but not when viewed at 1:1.  Just a tinge of front or back focus adjustment might help, but I really doubt it, still, I'll give it a try.

Here are a few of those first photos shot around my yard.

dr croubie:
How's the vignetting at 15mm? In another thread we were discussing, that vignetting on my lens is a lot worse on one side than the other, could be a centering issue. I haven't had any IQ issues (nothing better to compare it to though), i'd be interested to see how a refurb fares...
(and i'll put some pics up on here too one day, but i've taken a *lot* with this lens...)

Mt Spokane Photography:
I'll check for vigenetting, I haven't used it much at 15mm, but I will.  I spent a couple of hours MAing all my lenses, or at least most of them.    For the most part, AF was pretty close to perfect.  A couple benefitted from +4, a couple from +2, and the other 4 were right on.  I expected this, since I see the same on my other bodies.

The MA did make a noticible difference when the images were viewed at 1:1.

Here is a handheld shot with my 100mm L after I set it up to focus on the center group and did the MA.  It isare almost 1:1, severely cropped.

dstppy:

--- Quote from: dr croubie on July 22, 2011, 07:51:49 PM ---How's the vignetting at 15mm? In another thread we were discussing, that vignetting on my lens is a lot worse on one side than the other, could be a centering issue. I haven't had any IQ issues (nothing better to compare it to though), i'd be interested to see how a refurb fares...
(and i'll put some pics up on here too one day, but i've taken a *lot* with this lens...)

--- End quote ---

Okay, I found/rendered an image you can use for comparison, please consider:
1) I'm a Java Programmer by trade ;)
2) I call this photo 'fat man on a staircase fighting vertigo' ;D

Seriously though, photo is from Boldt Castle, Thousand Islands, midway the staircase shot straight up at 15mm.  Only changes have been made (per your inquiry about vignetting) -- scale, temperature/white balance change by way of GIMP to give you greater detail and make it post-able.

It's from a CR2 I shot on the 60D.

herbert:
I don't shoot this as my main lens but whenever I put it on I am reminded of what a great piece of glass it is.

Canon 7D, 50mm, f11, 1/640s, ISO 100

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version