October 31, 2014, 11:58:42 AM

Author Topic: Anyone know any good Noise Reduction programs?  (Read 3375 times)

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
Re: Anyone know any good Noise Reduction programs?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »
That is the whole thing. LR/ACR NR is excellent. You might be able to a difference that the pixel level but at the end of the day will another person notice the difference. I have not touched either NIK Dfine or Topaz in a year. Workflow is so much easier working with Adobe products.     

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »
This is a very useful topic!

Digital Paradise, your examples are very nice, great job!  However, your results don't look like they're any better than I could have done with CS5, and I want something very superior to CS5.  I want to reduce chrominance and luminance noise significantly more, yet preserve far more detail.  From some of the other comments, I'm beginning to wonder if that's even possible with "third party" software or plugins.  I would rather not spend money on software unless it is clearly superior...since you can't legally re-sell it later, as you can photo hardware.

Maybe there will be a new generation of NR software this year?

For example, my cousin's 5D3 files at ISO 4000, via LR4 (presumably "better" than CS5?), were NOT able to reduce luminance noise much at all, without putting the slider well above 80%, which severely softened the image.  The 5D3 seems to produce luminance with a very large grain, perhaps 4 to 7 pixels diameter (seems larger and more harsh than even the 1D4's files). 

By contrast, my older crop camera produces luminance noise with a much smaller diameter (3 pixels or sometimes less than 2 pixels diameter)...so I am able to reduce this noise much better via CS5, even with the slider well below 35%.  (Of course key to preserving detail, are the luminance detail and contrast sliders...and the chrominance detail slider.) 

My biggest problem with CS5, is it will not reduce "color banding noise" at all, whereas Topaz supposedly does.  I've also not seen any evidence that CS6 / LR4 are superior for color banding...

I disagree with the practice of sharpening at .5 pixel radius in ACR (in the hopes it will preserve detail downstream).  It's far better to find the ideal radius and optimize that (without over-doing it), and then export to whichever program will do further processing.  Also, the "detail" slider (maybe it's better to call it the "global detail slider"...in the sharpening section of ACR) is highly effective on images that are already very sharp.  If an image is already sharp and also noise free, it's best to push the detail slider as far as possible, while using the sharpening slider only near minimum (besides making its radius as small as possible...which is not always .5 radius).

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »
No problem. This was my mission. The OP asked how to use NR correctly so that was what I demonstrated. I did not use ACR NR when I had CS5 so I can't compare but I believe you. 3rd party might slightly be better but not at the level you are looking for, I don't think anyway. Hopefully what you are seeking will come out.       

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
Photoshop CS6
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »
Noise Ninja was my primary NR software until I learned how clean up noise with Lightroom 4.  I now use Lightroom 4 exclusively.  Note that I'm shooting grade school sports and figure skating with a 7D and ISO typically between 2000 and 4000, sometimes 6400.

I've been very satisfied with Lightroom 4 and, in particular, it's ease of use.  I particularly like that Lightroom 4 offers noise reduction when converting from RAW to JPEG.  Noise Ninja won't work directly from RAW images.

To be fair to Noise Ninja, there is a lot to the software that I have yet to learn.  It could have offer more to offer than Lightroom, but I'm not past the learning curve yet.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot G16, S100

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 03:17:08 AM »
In most cases where there is only light noise in the picture (i.e. no banding noise) I use DPP's noise reduction functions. It does a decent job if you use it very moderately. I never push the luminance NR slider higher than 5 because it is a bit heavy handed and you lose quite a lot of detail. For noisier pictures I use NIK Dfine 2 (available as stand alone app or as plug-in for PS, LR, and Aperture). Dfine has a lot more options than DPP. For instance it lets you define where in the picture noise is measured. It is also rather good in retaining detail even if you have to apply stronger luminance NR. Dfine also lets you tackle banding noise but I am not too happy with that function: although it removes (most) of the banding patterns it tends to introduce its own artifacts, especially along contrasty edges. But all in all it is the best NR application I ever used.
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 |
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/

gkaefer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:36 AM »
NR on multiple files:
"PhotoAcute Studio processes sets of photographs taken in continuous mode to produce high-resolution, low-noise pictures that (...)" (source: welcome Screen after starting demo)
and Oloneo Photo Engine also does allow NR on multiple imput files.
Georg

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:36 AM »

crasher8

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »
5D3 ;)

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
Topaz DeNoise ... try out the 30 day trial. You might just like it.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »