Rumors > Lenses

Where can I send my 24-70mm to be worked on? (somewhere besides Canon)

(1/3) > >>

wingspan:
Hello. I have the older version of the 24-70mm and it's not as smooth as it once was. I live in Los Angeles and needed a sensor cleaning as well so I drove to Irvine to see what could be done. The people at Canon told me that anything having to do with opening the lens is a repair even though in this case it's a light cleaning. I told them fine but ended up not letting them do it when I realized just how high their prices have gone up. They were going to charge me $382. I decided against it because I am planning on getting the newer version later this year and I don't think I could get my money back on that investment when I sell this one.

Does anybody know of a place I can take or send this lens in California or the U.S. to get cleaned for less than $382? Thanks in advance kind people.

emag:
I've used Royal Camera Service near Chicago.  Happy repeat customer.  Never charged more than the online estimate and very fast service.

curtisnull:
I have used Strauss Photo Technical Service in Washington DC many, many times. They have technicians that are dedicated to certain brands. Like the Canon techs only work on Canon, etc. I have known Steve Strauss for about 30 years now and trust them. http://www.straussphototech.com

Zlatko:
Toshio is highly regarded for service of Canon gear:

TF Camera Repair Service
27 Brunswick Woods Drive
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
(732) 238-8806

Mt Spokane Photography:
I'd be concerned that the issue with the focus ring is the common damage to the collars that guide the lens barrell as it moves.  If one or more cracks, focus gets rough.
You can pay to have it cleaned, but you may then pay again to have it fixed.

Canon no longer sells parts to small camera repair shops, so even for a 2 cent part, you may have to send it to Canon or one of the very few authorized repair centers.

This article discusses the issue with the collars:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/10/the-limits-of-variation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version