December 19, 2014, 09:41:44 AM

Author Topic: HELP - Could you measure your focus distance scale window?  (Read 1574 times)

hugofilipe

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
HELP - Could you measure your focus distance scale window?
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »
Hi everyone!

I do need your help on this one. I have a Canon 200 1.8 with a broken distance scale window and there is no way i can find a replacement for it. I've searched everywhere, no luck.
So I'm in the market for a compatible window. I kindly ask you, if possible, to measure your focus distance scale window and post it dimensions here on this post.
I hope that this might be useful for other people in similar situation.

My Canon EF 200 1.8 window measures 4cm wide x 1.5cm tall.

I have high hopes that a 300/400/500 window matches this size.

Thanks in advance everyone!

canon rumors FORUM

HELP - Could you measure your focus distance scale window?
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - Could you measure your focus distance scale window?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »
If they were the same part, Canon would (or should) have the same part number on them. 
Did you contact Pro Camera Repair in San Diego?

Give them the dimensions and they might have one close that could be trimmed a little.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EF-300MM-2-8L-IS-USM-SCALE-WINDOW-NEW-ORIGINAL-/390167724986?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item5ad7cf03ba

hugofilipe

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »
I've already sent 3 messages to Pro Camera Repair on the previews weeks and no luck with a reply.
I do think that might be a different part number for a distance window with the same size due to different markings or even a slight different window curvature.

I do thank everyone able to measure its focus window so i can buy a compatible one.

Thanks!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
I've had no trouble e-mailing them and getting a answer.  Certainly, the markings will be different.  None of my lenses are close to your dimensions, but they are not the big whites.

There is also Midwest camera who may have parts, they also buy up old parts. 

I'd probably get some plexiglass and cut it to size and heat / bend it.  Then grind the edges to a bevel.  The black double sided adhesive strips are available.  My son has a milling machine which might make it easier.

hugofilipe

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
I've had no trouble e-mailing them and getting a answer.  Certainly, the markings will be different.  None of my lenses are close to your dimensions, but they are not the big whites.

There is also Midwest camera who may have parts, they also buy up old parts. 

I'd probably get some plexiglass and cut it to size and heat / bend it.  Then grind the edges to a bevel.  The black double sided adhesive strips are available.  My son has a milling machine which might make it easier.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was contacting them via eBay and no luck with replies. I have now contacted them via their contact form on their site and I do hope to get a reply on this.

I'm contacted also Midwest camera, but they cannot help.

The markings are no issue, i really don't find a use for it on a lens this focal lens. As a last resource I'll have to make one of plexiglass as you said.

I still have hope in finding one. I hope someone with big whites could help me out here.

Thanks for your reply!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »
Drop a e-mail to neuro, he has a 600mm mk II and would probably measure it for you.

You might also e-mail Roger Cicala of lens rentals, he might have some tips, since they likely have fallen off rental lenses.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:10:36 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
200 f/2

40mm x 16.5mm

400 f/2.8 II

Same size

500 F/4 II

Same size

After a bit closer inspection of your photo, the 200 f/2 has a different scale then the 1.8. All the "new supers" have the same window but the older MK1 versions make have one similar to yours.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:01:34 PM by RMC33 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »