October 23, 2014, 03:09:47 AM

Author Topic: Your next high resolution display will be.... an APPLE 5K  (Read 1675 times)

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Your next high resolution display will be.... an APPLE 5K
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »
With my eyesight heading south faster than a songbird in september there's not much point in me having pixels so small I can't see them when I'm editing.

I'd rather have a 4k or 5k display that's 60"
Then I can be a decent distance back (no glasses), still edit pixel level without excessively enlarging the view and have more of a life-size preview of my prints.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »
And why would I want an sRGB monitor????

Another good point in favor of the Dell. The Dell will have both an internal sRGB emulation mode for when you need that as well as wide gamut.

It's weird that Apple that fully color manages its OS (unlike just about anyone else) is like the only maker to not make any wide gamut displays (AFAIK).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »
A few weeks ago, I bought a Dell UP2414Q 24" 4K display. I had a 27" for a few years but found it actually too large. I'm mid-40s and don't wear glasses (yet) but my eyes every week it seems are headed that way. I digress. I bought the Dell 24" to match my retina macbook pro. It's a perfect match. And 4K on the 24 is basically like 5K on 27. I'm graphic designer as occupation and photographer as hobby. Colour and contrast on the Dell 24 are great. And it's matte finish. No glossy reflections.

The new iMac looks great and I'm sure it will be, but...

Best thing? I got the Dell on eBay from a reputable seller with 100% rating, for $495.

With my absolutely top spec new macbook pro, I've spent about the same as I would if I bought the new iMac. It's the best of two worlds. Two monitor desktop plus a laptop. Highly recommended.

Holy cow $495 for the UP2414Q is insane!????!!!!! I've never seen it below $750 and even that was fantastic considering programmable uniformity correct, internal programmable high bit LUT, wide gamut, multiple emulation modes, expensive NON-PWM directly variable current driven LED backlighting. It sold for $1300 list a year ago, less than (although it had $200 off sales even nearly from the start every few weeks).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
A few weeks ago, I bought a Dell UP2414Q 24" 4K display. I had a 27" for a few years but found it actually too large. I'm mid-40s and don't wear glasses (yet) but my eyes every week it seems are headed that way. I digress. I bought the Dell 24" to match my retina macbook pro. It's a perfect match. And 4K on the 24 is basically like 5K on 27. I'm graphic designer as occupation and photographer as hobby. Colour and contrast on the Dell 24 are great. And it's matte finish. No glossy reflections.

All your apps must be really hard to work with though? There are scroll bars and text in the Adobe suite which currently can't be scaled (AFAIK) and they are already too small even on a regular display. At that pixel density they'd be a nightmare!

With Photoshop on Windows (but apparently not on the MAC or not for Lightroom on either) that is true, but I happily deal with it to edit, in realtime, essentially 8MP prints. And it's so awesome to be able to instantly view every photo you have without cost with the detail of an 8MP 24" print.

And text looks so much better too. Like right now, as I type, it's like I'm typing in a magazine or book and it doesn't look all computery at all. It looks like real print.

And images just look natural. They don't look computery. They just look far more organic and natural, more like looking at a giant magnified slide table or something, they don't have that blurry, pixellated so sort of subtly digital computery look so much now. And the 27" 14MP displays must truly be insane, wow.

Imagine an amazing photo coffee table book printed at 240PPI and then one printed at like 80PPI. The looks decent if still a trace soft and the other just looks a mess.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »

All your apps must be really hard to work with though? There are scroll bars and text in the Adobe suite which currently can't be scaled (AFAIK) and they are already too small even on a regular display. At that pixel density they'd be a nightmare!

And some apps scale a lot better.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
Rumours had it that it was a DELL manufactured monitor inside.

Neither Apple nor Dell manufacture display panels. They both use panels made by LG. Get your facts straight.

I'm happy to stay with my monitor for quite a while, only had it for 2 years. It was a lot cheaper than any Apple branded gear, and in no aspect worse.

Funny, the Dell UltraSharp 27" Ultra HD 5K Monitor which has the same screen size, resolution, and almost certainly uses the same display panel as the new iMac, costs $2499.99, or $0.99 (99 cents) more than the iMac. The iMac "display" comes with an entire top-of-the-line, fully spec'ed computer behind it. The Dell doesn't. Get your facts straight.

The Dell will probably start out with large sales then PLUS as mentioned the APple will probably use PWM dimming and probably even low frequency then. It almost certainly won't have wide gamut. Or internal LUT. Or screen uniformity controls.

That said, 5k is exciting all the same and I'd say the difference is certainly more overall noticeable for 4k/5k vs 1080p than for sRGB vs. wide gamut. And it's great to see more and more of this good hi-res stuff out there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »