October 21, 2014, 12:49:30 PM

Author Topic: IMac vs MacBook Pro vs Custom PC for editing?  (Read 8766 times)

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: IMac vs MacBook Pro vs Custom PC for editing?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
I think the OP needs to decide what their time is worth.  All 3.5 options (hackintosh is a half step on custom pc) will work fine, it's more of how you will use them.  Some of the Thunderbolt accessories are really nice and fast, but are currently limited to Apple built machines.  Taking this into the field or working only from your desk? 

Building a pc adds time and complexity, and you have more granular control over things - but this only does you any good if you have existing experience in building and troubleshooting.  Chances are you want to get back to the actual film projects, not trying to fix your computer.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 05:05:52 PM »
Back in the day, Mac were a much better platform than a Windows PC for any graphics arts applications such as Adobe.  Today however, it is the opposite.  Adobe's CS6 Mercury engine supports CUDA extensively and supports NVIDIA's Maximus solution.  Abode being OpenGL based means that you get much better performance and more extensive features using admittedly more expensive Quadro and Tesla cards than GeForce cards. 

A PC with a relatively cheap Quadro 600 should render a video in Premier Pro CS6 in around half the time of the current iMac.

Put in card a Quadro K5000 and a Tesla K20 in a PC (this is not cheap) and you will have performance that would require a fleets of Mac's.

Summing up, a single Windows PC configured with a Quadro and Tesla card will give performance a Mac user can only dream about. 

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
If still considering a laptop, recommend looking at Lenovo -

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/

I took delivery on a W520 Thinkpad about a year ago and am very happy with it.

When matching specs with a Macbook Pro at the time, the W520 was substantially less expensive. The current model is W530. Pricing for a W530 configured similar to my last year's model comes to around $2,000 now. That includes mid model selection for i7, 8gig ram, and 180gig SSD. I started pricing with the W530 model that includes built-in x-rite monitor calibration.
I bought and used a lenovo last year for a gig I was doing on contract. Lenovo is NOT the old IBM Thinkpad of yesteryear.

The old thinkpads were built like tanks..full metal, heavy duty, last forever.

I cannot say the same about the new lenovo. I'd have to look it up, but I got what I believe was the top of the line laptop, I think it was the thinkpad 520 (I can look if you need me to)....I was surprised to see the amount of plastic on the new ones. The thing had very 'shaky' USB slots in it...I was doing some work that required USB to serial communications, and the noise I got off this thing was not fun. I actually got better performance  doing the same thing on my macbookpro donig Win7 on VMWare connecting USB to serial, which should not be the case.

I also found the connections using the IBM dock with the laptop poor with regard to hooking to my Dell U2711...if you bumped the desk slightly, the connection with the docking station to the laptop was so frail, often the monitor would get noisy or lose connection all together, which would cause another PITA to get back online...and after sleeping, the IBM would not often correctly come back to the high resolution.

I was a fan of thinkpads in the past, but honestly, IMHO and last experience, it wasn't worth the money.

I know this is anecdotal, but that's my take on them these days.

My $0.02,

cayenne

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »
Even as a lifelong Mac user (Started with a Apple II) I would say go with a custom built PC. My next computer will be. You will get far more bang for your buck, and as of late Macs have been crap. OS 10.8.2 is the buggiest piece of crap and I wish I never installed it. I will miss the unix aspects of OS X though.

raph

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »
Hi,
The answer is extremely simple : make a hackintosh and use FCPX.
go to http://www.tonymacx86.com
more specifically buy this http://www.tonymacx86.com/333-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-february-2013.html#custo_pro and get two Dell 27 inch screens at 2560 x 1440.
This will certainly cost less than $3500
The only thing to be careful about is to get a graphics adapter with two DVI dual link connectors otherwise the screens won't show their full resolution.
If you decide you prefer Windows this same specification is just fine as well !

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 07:20:45 PM »
Back in the day, Mac were a much better platform than a Windows PC for any graphics arts applications such as Adobe.  Today however, it is the opposite.  Adobe's CS6 Mercury engine supports CUDA extensively and supports NVIDIA's Maximus solution.  Abode being OpenGL based means that you get much better performance and more extensive features using admittedly more expensive Quadro and Tesla cards than GeForce cards. 

A PC with a relatively cheap Quadro 600 should render a video in Premier Pro CS6 in around half the time of the current iMac.

Put in card a Quadro K5000 and a Tesla K20 in a PC (this is not cheap) and you will have performance that would require a fleets of Mac's.

Summing up, a single Windows PC configured with a Quadro and Tesla card will give performance a Mac user can only dream about.

This is very interesting.... if true, I will be very interested to see what Apple includes for graphics with these new Mac Pros coming up....
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »

This is very interesting.... if true, I will be very interested to see what Apple includes for graphics with these new Mac Pros coming up....

Absolutely.  Currently Mac support the K5000 which gives superb performance at 1080p video or lower, but unless Mac support Tesla, they will always lag behind.

These solutions I have mentioned are aimed at Mac Pro only, for people who like the all-in-one form factor such as the very beautiful iMac, these solutions do not apply.   However one interesting solution is the HP Z1 which can be configured with a Quadro 4000 and has a 30-bit display, again offering video production performance way ahead of the current iMac.   

Just to address those who may label me as anti-Apple, I have been using Apple Mac's for over 20 years and dearly love their products, but the reality is that the landscape has changed and for video production in particular, Windows platforms are now way ahead.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
Hi,
The answer is extremely simple : make a hackintosh and use FCPX.
go to http://www.tonymacx86.com
more specifically buy this http://www.tonymacx86.com/333-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-february-2013.html#custo_pro and get two Dell 27 inch screens at 2560 x 1440.
This will certainly cost less than $3500
The only thing to be careful about is to get a graphics adapter with two DVI dual link connectors otherwise the screens won't show their full resolution.
If you decide you prefer Windows this same specification is just fine as well !

Well, one nice thing about today...is Virtual Machines (VMs).

My recommendation, is to get the fastest machine you can get or put together, and optimally, make it with specs that the Hackintosh crowd can work with, and that way, just install VMWare or VirtualBox, and then run whatever version of windows, OSX or Linux you want to run, and have the best of all worlds.

VMWare is getting pretty good of late, and will support just about any setup you wish....so, wny not have audio tools like Rosegarden http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/, or Ardour http://ardour.org/ running on Linux for sound, FCPX on OSX, and Adobe on Win7 if you prefer (or Win8....*shudder*).

Don't forget things like :

Blender http://www.blender.org/
Cinellera http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php

The nice thing about today is, you aren't stuck on one platform if you don't want to be, the operating system is quickly becoming a commodity.

I prefer the Unix/Linux based ones, but hey, every job has the proper tool for it...

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »