September 21, 2014, 08:17:31 PM

Author Topic: A New DSLR Line from Canon? [CR1]  (Read 12489 times)

bk-productions

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: A New DSLR Line from Canon? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
Quite interesting. Maybe it's gonna be something like Panasonic's GH-Series with an APS-C sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 06:13:47 PM »
I could get behind a camera that is similar to the Olympus OM-D.

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
Pentax 110 Auto from 1982
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
I had a Pentax 110 Auto back in 1984.
It was a real SLR with a set of 3 lenses. It was cute, small and useable.
I don't see why Canon can't make a small DSLR with unique interchangeable lenses.

Check it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_Auto_110
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »
I still have OM 1,2 and 3 bodies and winders and a few Zuiko lenses. With a few mods it could be possible to
reconfigure the winder to a battery pack and incorporate a sensor FF or APSC.

Zuiko 50 1.4 is still in use with an EOS adaptor
They're so cute, aren't they? I've loved them, especially the OM2 n. Since I had a lot of glass, I purchased the OM to EOS adapter more for fun than for real need; on a 5D II, the old Zuiko lenses, compared to L glass, are light years apart in IQ.

[OT] Digitalizing an old OM? Only if a digital back existed, I don't see such a metamorphosis as a DIY thing. [/OT]

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
Maybe it will be a retro style AE-1 lookalike beasty
APS-H Fanboy

thebowtie

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • You want me to rant? Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47:44 PM »
Maybe it will be a retro style AE-1 lookalike beasty

Maybe what they want to do is channel the Leica M-series idea but with a Canon twist?
A Camera. Some Lenses. Some accessories. Talent on back-order

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »
Is a new DSLR line that vital in the current industry?
Seems somewhat far-fetched.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 12:32:10 AM »
I am still a big fan of this mirror-less, compact, SLR look-a-like camera (use the Panasonic G/GH series as a standard).  I would like to be able to use the lenses I already have, so if an adapter like that needed for the ES-M is required, I'm in....  I guess.

RGomezPhotos

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 03:24:44 AM »
Smaller than a Rebel?  We talking Kiddie Cams?  I'm interested what a smaller DSLR looks like and not be a point/shoot or 4/3 camera....
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 05:52:48 AM »
Smaller than a Rebel?  We talking Kiddie Cams?  I'm interested what a smaller DSLR looks like and not be a point/shoot or 4/3 camera....

Something like this? (excuse the lousy photoshopping :) )

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 06:55:39 AM »
Canon just needs to fix the EOS-M. We don't need another line-up of cameras.
Agreed. Though I have no interest in the EOS-M myself, it would seem to be a better business move from here. Personally though, I would rather see more new glass like something in the way of a spectacular wide angle to compete with Nikon's AF-S 14-24mm 2.8G or perhaps a sharper version of the 16-35, which is killed in sharpness by the now rather old 17-40 f4L for those who don't want a bulbous fisheye like front element
Agreed I would love to see a 14-24mm myself. :)
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »

I said the OM-D is micro 4/3.

I've owned an OM 2n since 1980, then I added an OM 1n and an OM 3, many many Zuiko lenses and, over time, an insane number of accessories for the Olympus system. I've been shooting with them for 30+ years. I went for the Olympus system primarily because of the size and weight. I still have all of them, all in perfect order, I occasionally use them (actually the OM 2n, my preferred one), and I think I know them quite well. Still, I think you can't squeeze all the stuff needed for digital in an OM-sized body currently. Just as an example, an LP-E6 batt alone is about as thick as the OM body itself.

We're talking at cross purposes here, so I'm not going to continue down this road (I've culled the reply-counter reply chain, as it was getting ridiculous!).  You know better than most how small a 35mm camera can be made; do you not feel that the OM series feel more compact than the "Digital Rebels"? I can't see any reason why it would not be possible to make a DSLR this small (i.e. roughly comparible in size to the micro 4/3rds OMD EM-5).  I can understand your concern about the battery size, but I can't see that this would be any more of a problem with a DSLR than with a mirrorless body.  In fact, DSLRs tend to be less power hungry because they're not constantly running the sensor - LCD/EVF to provide viewfinding capabilities.
Traveller, maybe we're talking at cross purposes, in fact I've always ended agreeing that it is likely possible to further shrink a Rebel body, I've even edited the last post while you were typing to make this as clear as possible. But maybe not.  I do feel the OM series is more compact than rebels, that's doubtless, it's a fact. But, at present, an APS-C DSLR can't be as compact as a film OM or the OM-D, no way. You provided correct measurements for the flange-focal plane distances of the old OM system (46 mm)  and for EF/ EF-S (44 mm, in fact you can mount Zuiko lenses on EOS cameras with a cheap adapter 2mm thick), but you don't provide the distance for the OM-D, which is 20 mm, if I remember well. Therefore, in any case, at present the answer is that unfortunately it's NOT possible to engineer an EF/EF-S DSLR to make it as compact as, or comparable to, the OM-D. 24mm difference is roughly 1 inch, you can't put aside this fact. Don't feel offended, I insisted to make this clear, not to hurt you in any way.  :)

You're still missing my point! 

The comparison between the Rebel and the OM-D was made because I could find side by side comparison photos of them and I could also find side by side shots comparing the OM1 to the OM-D, but I couldn't find any shots comparing the Rebel to the OM1.  If you can find the latter, or are willing to photograph them yourself (assuming you own a Rebel), I would be most grateful if you could share the photo. 

When you compare the OM1 to the OM-D EM5 (sidenote: why not just call it the OM-D1?), the additional thickness caused by the mirrorbox is not all that great.  The bizzare thing is that small differences in overall dimensions don't seem to be as important in determining bulkiness as other design factors.  The OM1 and OM-D EM5 aren't that much smaller than the Rebel, but they both appear to be so (to me at least) because of their cleaner lines.  With prime lenses and careful design DSLRs needn't be anything like as bulky a system as they currently are. 

Perhaps Canon could make a smaller DSLR as a modular system (like the OM1 popularised back in the '70s), or even a modular  EOS-M series with hand/battery grip options and something like the Sony LAEA2 adaptor (with moving mirror and a pentaprism -go on Canon, take up the challenge!).  This latter option would be a good way of enticing EOS system users to buy into the EOS-M system as well: use EF-M lenses without the adaptor when you need maximum compactness, or swap in the adaptor, battery grip and EF(-S) mount lenses when you need performance (the elephant in the room is full-frame and whether Sony will make a full frame NEX stills camera...)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »

OK I just read on another blog that this new camera will be a Rebel...so this is NOT a new line of camera for Canon, which has been reported widely on the web. This camera will be in the Rebel line of cameras.
That should calm down a lot of the speculation, and confusion.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »
why does this have to be entry level? why cant Canon make a full frame interchangeable lens camera with a form smaller than a DSLR.
I know some of you out there cant hold tiny cameras, but for me, walking or carrying a backpack for 8 or 12 hours in a day around town, or walking to work, traveling, size and quality is everything... along with quick and accurate AF.
Canon, please make this dream of mine come true.

The 6D does seem to be looking to cater for a smaller FF body so I'm not sure we'll see something similar released in the next couple of years.
If the 6D is the smallest FF camera Canon makes in the next couple years I will be very disappointed. I don't understand why companies cant give the market a FF compact high end body on par with the M series but with AF. The M9 has been out for years already(4-5?) and no camera company can match anything like that yet? I'm about to just buy an RX1 and sell all my DSLR stuff. It's fun to shoot if I have a car and i'm just out for a few hours, but traveling or carrying a DSLR around all day, to work, on the bus, it's just too heavy to really enjoy it.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
OK I just read on another blog that this new camera will be a Rebel...so this is NOT a new line of camera for Canon, which has been reported widely on the web. This camera will be in the Rebel line of cameras.
That should calm down a lot of the speculation, and confusion.

Well, I guess it could be the 1200D, if they downsize it. The reason for speculation is the "new line" rumor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »