April 25, 2018, 03:30:43 AM

Author Topic: How good is Datacolor Spyder 4 pro  (Read 2913 times)

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
How good is Datacolor Spyder 4 pro
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »
for calibrating my new Dell U2713H monitor?

The dell is my first wide-gamut monitor and I want to calibrate it correctly. How good is the Spyder 4 pro?
I took a hiatus from CR for a year and a half. The discussions haven't changed much. Excellent information is still being shared while people bitching about Canon cameras are still bitching and haven't moved on to Sony

canon rumors FORUM

How good is Datacolor Spyder 4 pro
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »

fonts

• EOS Rebel 300D
Re: How good is Datacolor Spyder 4 pro
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
for calibrating my new Dell U2713H monitor?

The dell is my first wide-gamut monitor and I want to calibrate it correctly. How good is the Spyder 4 pro?

I was asking the same question when I bought that monitor. In the end I bought the Xrite Display Pro just cause as of now, its the only one compatible with the hardware calibration. Just waiting on Dell/Xrite to update their software for it >.<

Emeyerphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Erik Meyer Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
Honestly, I wish they made the Pantone Huey still.  I have had issues with my Datacolor Spyder Pro, even on a normal gamut monitor. When I re-calibrate my monitor it usually takes me several times to get a good calibration.  The reason I know that it isn't calibrating correctly is that I have an image of a white/black/grey card and there are times where the black will appear redish or greenish. It usually takes me two/three times to calibrate correctly. 

With my old Pantone Huey it would be one and done.  But, since they stopped the updates on the software, I had to move to the Spyder Pro system.  Once the system is calibrated though, it keeps the calibration fairly well, the only time I regret it is when I have re-calibrate it every two weeks - month.

My two cents.
5d Mk2, Canon 40d (backup), 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »