October 21, 2014, 02:27:47 AM

Author Topic: What?? A SCAM INVOLVING A CANON T3i??  (Read 12825 times)

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: What?? A SCAM INVOLVING A CANON T3i??
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »

As I usually do on such trips, I check in with the local Craigslist and take a quick look at the photo/video section to see what's up (or '"sup" as the kids say).

Then several days later (to make a long story even longer), I received 3 emails (each originating from the 3 addresses) from three different people -- but each email said the same thing:

"Hey, Sorry for replying so late..i just met someone up and sold it
If your still trying to find one at a discount, i found mine at  "This Site".
They still have the 4th of july promo for 10 free bids and i just signed up and won.
Trick i found was to bid only when counter hits 4 seconds.
hope i was able to help
regards"

"This Site" was a link to an online auction site.  All three emails were identical, but with different sender names.

Gee whiliakers... a scam to direct me to an auction site ... Whoda-thunk?

Sounds familiar! Here's the result of my email enquiry to a recent Craiglist Detroit T3i listing for $450:

"hey,
Sorry for replying so late..someone stopped by yesterday and picked it up

If your still looking for one at a sick discount, i bought mine at  THIS SITE

They still have the summer promo for 10 free bids and i just signed up and won two, which is why I was selling one. Since school's been out very few people are bidding.

Trick to winning everytime is to bid only when counter hits 4 seconds.
Seriously if I can do it anyone can
regards,
Mary Keller"

Lesson for me: if it sounds almost too good to be true, then it is!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »
And Yet, yesterday, I answered a Craigslist ad for a Canon 35-350mm L for $500.  It turned out to be a local photographer I have bought from before.  The lenses often sell for $1000 or more, but he saw dust in the lens, it had some minor paint dings,  and he did not want to try to sell it on ebay.

Actually, the dust was on the outside of the rear element and cleaned off nicely.  The lens is well used and has some tiny tick marks on the paint, but the glass is perfect.

So, you may have to kiss a lot of frogs, but there are some good deals as well.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »
And Yet, yesterday, I answered a Craigslist ad for a Canon 35-350mm L for $500.  It turned out to be a local photographer I have bought from before.  The lenses often sell for $1000 or more, but he saw dust in the lens, it had some minor paint dings,  and he did not want to try to sell it on ebay.

Actually, the dust was on the outside of the rear element and cleaned off nicely.  The lens is well used and has some tiny tick marks on the paint, but the glass is perfect.

So, you may have to kiss a lot of frogs, but there are some good deals as well.

I agree. And I have had a similar experience to you on Craigslist - just this week, I purchased a very good condition 2nd hand L lens for 35% less than the current retail price. In my limited experience, I think most 2nd hand L lenses tend to sell for within 10% of the retail price.

Which is why I responded to that "too good to be true" Craigslist T3i ad, hoping that it would be yet another steal, which've been perfect for the father-in-law. Alas, it was not to be!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:17:10 PM by Redreflex »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »