October 26, 2014, 12:51:26 AM

Author Topic: Canon tells me tethered shoots have to go direct to the "C" drive  (Read 1622 times)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Canon told me today tethered shoots have to go direct to the "C" drive...rather than a SSD on the laptop bus but not the C drive. That seems a little restrictive and nowhere mentioned in dialogs. I will look in the documentation...

I have been having tether trouble which now after the call and a card switch, may have been caused by a faulty Lexar 400x 64Gig UDMA7 CF card I recently bought. I would love to think my recent trouble in a liveView shoot was caused, too, by this card. On another nearby thread a 1Ds user said they have tens of thousands of LiveView shutter actuations with ZERO problems. Crossing my fingers that further testing today settles this.

Anyway, the C drive rule was a surprise.

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon tells me tethered shoots have to go direct to the "C" drive
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
Someone is confused, I commonly save when tethered in canon utility to any drive I want, even to a network location.  I just put a card in my card reader and saved to it as well.

You should have no problems saving to wherever you want.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:26:47 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
I have run into issues, where I couldn't install Canon software to any drive other than C:. The older versions allowed you to pick the install drive, but the last time I did an install that wasn't an option. I did call Canon tech support and they confirmed at the time that the then current version didn't allow you to pick your install drive.

I never tether, so I can't comment on what choices you have, but after my last experience installing their software, nothing would surprise me.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:15 AM »
I thought the tech might be wrong/confused. I have been saving the outflow of images to that SSD. the C drive is an SSD too, but I want them separated. This isn't about installation, just tethered image flow and chosen destinations.

I just reported it so we'd all know where they stand.

jonathan7007

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:15 AM »