July 22, 2014, 05:33:53 AM

Author Topic: Tri Pods!!!!!  (Read 3298 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Tri Pods!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »
RRS. It really is the right stuff. Really!  I have the TQC-14 + BH-30 for travel, and the TVC-33 + BH-55 and the PG-02 LLR gimbal, MC-34 monopod with MH-02 Pro head, macro rail, etc. - it's all top notch.

Manfrotto is about the ideal compromise between quality and value, IMO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 09:29:13 PM »
As you found out, none of the cheap tripods are very good.  You need to be even more careful with tripod heads.  There are lower cost tripods in the $100-$200 range from Slik that are of for occasional use on a smaller DSLR and lens, but when you start getting 3 lb lenses, the cheap tripods and heads will not do a very good job.

A head is probably even more important than the legs.  Good tripod systems have separate heads and legs, but sometimes come with a combo deal.  The standard mounting for head to legs is a 5/16 bolt.  don't get one setup for 1/4, its too weak.

The other thing to look at is the camera QR plate system.  Arca Swiss Compatible QR plates are THE standard, Manfroto makes more than one style, so you can end up with one style on one head, and another style on a monopod.  Watch out for this.  You can get a Manfroto head with Arca Swiss compatible QR plate!

Its best to just buy heads that take Arca Swiss compatible QR plates, this lets you use many different accessories, and you do not have to keep changing plates.  In some cases, you can modify a head, but that's wasting money.

The units recommended by those above will probably be fine, but watch out for the QR plate.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »
RRS. It really is the right stuff. Really!  I have the TQC-14 + BH-30 for travel, and the TVC-33 + BH-55 and the PG-02 LLR gimbal, MC-34 monopod with MH-02 Pro head, macro rail, etc. - it's all top notch.

true
I'd also recommend looking at Benro (they are chinese gitzo copies and very good quality at a reasonable price)
APS-H Fanboy

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »

This.. without a doubt. Here is a pic of what Neuro listed, other then the TQC and BH55 which were at home, while I was out shooting today. This stuff is built to last. I took your advice on the LLR Gimbal btw, Love it.

5D3 +500 f/4 II on a Versa 33 with a PG-02 on top, it holds the 400 f/2.8 II quite good as well.. but I am falling in love with the 500. I opted for the MH-01 LR as sometimes I need to swap bodies/lenses  on my mono.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »
I opted for the MH-01 LR as sometimes I need to swap bodies/lenses  on my mono.

Love the LR clamps, but I picked the screw clamp for the monopod because I often carry that rig over my shoulder, and was concerned about the lever catching on a pack strap.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »
Two for me....

Old Leica Tiltall still goin' ok after all these years.  Bought new back in '77

Almost as old Majestic with dual tube legs on both upper and lower sections.  Not fast to get into action.  Not light.  Its rock solid and heavy, and will hold anything I've got - 4x5 or medium format with long lenses are no problem.

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
In addition to the quality, RRS has a ton of options. Plus, if you're ever confused about what product will meet your needs, their customer service is top notch!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »

DrDeano

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 12:33:12 AM »
I concur with what people have been saying about buy right the first time and avoid spending money replacing crappy tripods.

I ended up buying the RRS 34L with BH-55LR head and L-plate for my 1DX.

The thing is a work of art. Light, solid, bleeds quality craftsmanship and sets up and breaks down quickly and effortlessly.

If you see yourself using a tripod for a while, you can't go wrong with RRS.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 12:56:09 AM »
I opted for the MH-01 LR as sometimes I need to swap bodies/lenses  on my mono.

Love the LR clamps, but I picked the screw clamp for the monopod because I often carry that rig over my shoulder, and was concerned about the lever catching on a pack strap.

Ya.. that does make me a bit nervous and I had not thought about that... I should swap my screw knob off my ballhead onto my monopod~
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:00:41 AM by RMC33 »

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 01:21:23 AM »
RRS or Gitzo.

I got the Gitzo 5531 with the center column. It is enormously robust yet quite lightweight.
I saved about $400  buying used. I believe the Gitzo saves few bucks over the RRS new but at this level it comes down to what you prefer. If you have a chance to try both, do it.

I use an Arca Swiss P-0 head. Light and solid I use RRS plates on all my bodies.

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
Guys, I didn't want to create a new thread, so I thought I could ask my question here. I'm really excited since I'm getting a Canon 200 f2 lens tomorrow ;) can anybody suggest a very high quality tripod AND monopod for 1dx and 200 f2? I'm very far from being a pro, so I'll be using it mostly for taking portraits of my family members, friends or models (for fun). Thanks in advance! :)

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
Guys, I didn't want to create a new thread, so I thought I could ask my question here. I'm really excited since I'm getting a Canon 200 f2 lens tomorrow ;) can anybody suggest a very high quality tripod AND monopod for 1dx and 200 f2? I'm very far from being a pro, so I'll be using it mostly for taking portraits of my family members, friends or models (for fun). Thanks in advance! :)

The setup Neuro listed and I showed. I use the MH 01 Mono and versa 33/PG 02 with my 200 f/2 and 1Dx. That shot was taken with a 1Dx and 200 f/2 oddly enough~

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »

The setup Neuro listed and I showed. I use the MH 01 Mono and versa 33/PG 02 with my 200 f/2 and 1Dx. That shot was taken with a 1Dx and 200 f/2 oddly enough~

Thanks for your response!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »

rcarbonell

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 12:45:53 AM »
Most Convenient (and durable):
Slik Mini II

http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/DS-SPRINT_MINI_II.html

I've had this for 2+ years and I carry it on my photo trips.
It's short enough to strap it horizontally on the bottom of a back pack, and light enough to leave it on the camera while taking a shot.

It can go stand really low (with the center extending pole removed), and about chest high on full extension.

I'd recommend this as a travel tripod under $100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 12:45:53 AM »