Gear Talk > Lenses

5DIII+35mm or 50mm?

<< < (2/4) > >>

AudioGlenn:
35L

peteroc:
Hi there,
The 16-35 is not that sharp on the sides and corners, even at 35mm, and specially on a FF.
The 50 f/1.2L is cool, but not than much worth the price, considering it's an old lens (still a version I) and has a lot of CA.

50 f/1.4 is a very nice lens for the price. I don't like the focus ring, but it still works really fine.

Why not keep your 35 as your standard lens and get something really different, like an 85 or the 135 for portrait?

Jim K:
I would consider an 85mm for portraits and keep the 35mm.

iso79:
35mm. It's more versatile. The 50mm is such an overrated lens not to mention not a good portrait lens.People's heads will get distorted when shot with the 50mm (unless you're going for the distorted head look).

I agree with Peteroc. Keep the 35mm and get either the 85mm or 135mm.

RS2021:

--- Quote from: iso79 on March 14, 2013, 04:05:46 PM ---35mm. It's more versatile. The 50mm is such an overrated lens not to mention not a good portrait lens.People's heads will get distorted when shot with the 50mm (unless you're going for the distorted head look).

--- End quote ---

To be fair, the above statement is not really fair nor accurate regarding the 50mm. While I favor the 35mm myself...the 50mm generates less distortion in comparison. If the photographer is not careful with his distance, the 35mm is more likely to distort and generate larger noses than the 50mm would normally.

The 35 does provides just a tad more versatility and cropping possibilities if handled well. A tad more versatile indoors and with small groups in low light and on the street. But the 50 f1.4 is not that far...just different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version