April 19, 2014, 04:30:57 PM

Author Topic: Is micro adjust setting stored in the camera or lens?  (Read 1312 times)

rcarbonell

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Is micro adjust setting stored in the camera or lens?
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
Is micro adjustment setting stored in the camera or lens?

I bought a 2nd hand Sigma 50mm 1.4, I really like the lens build, IQ and specially the bokeh. However it tends to front focus and is very noticeable at 1.4.

I was thinking of renting a 50D/7D/5D to micro adjust my sigma, then use it on my 60D.

I'm hoping someone with experience doing this could shed some light before I rent a camera.

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Is micro adjust setting stored in the camera or lens?
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is micro adjust setting stored in the camera or lens?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
It's stored in the camera. Your plan won't work

With the Sigma USB lens dock (purchased separately, of course), you can store adjustments in Sigma lenses (more complex ones than the 1-2 values with Canon bodies).  It basically customizes the lens firmware. Not sure if it works with all Sigma lenses, but worth a look.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

viggen61

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »
In the camera.
Canon 7D

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
No dice...but I love the thought process though...better than thinking "oh I need a 1DX now. "
And boooooooooo canon for going backwards with 60D and stripping AFMA off the body!
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Skirball

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
It's stored in the camera.  And as discussed in the first link below, it's really a camera + lens combination that you're micro-adjusting.  Micro-adjustments were meant to fine tune.  If the lens is significantly off you'd have to send it back to Sigma.

Some interesting reading:

http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/how-to-test-a-lens/
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/af_microadjustment_article.shtml

Edit:  geez, I guy takes a minute to dig up a link and the whole community posts up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:07:40 PM by Skirball »

Skirball

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
And boooooooooo canon for going backwards with 60D and stripping AFMA off the body!

Wow, I didn't realize the 50D had AFMA.  Yeah, that's messed up pulling it off the 60D.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
Both the lens and the camera can be adjusted, but only Canon can adjust the lens, while those with AFMA in their body can adjust that body for a particular lens.

You can send your 60D and lens to Canon, and they can adjust both of them to specification.  I had my 35mmL adjusted at Canon Irvine, and now it is right on for all my camera bodies.

Most of the time, new lenses are pretty close to perfect as received, but I have received a few that are off by enough to be detrimental to my images.

I don't recommend getting a fast f/1.4 lens for a 60D due to no AFMA, and its a particular issue for third party lenses, because Canon will not adjust them to match the body, so you must send the lens to its manufacturer and the body to Canon, and hope that fixes things. 

Sigma has a new lens adjustment tool that works with their new high end lens models, so that should help if you pick one with owner adjustment capability.  In that case, the adjustment is in the lens.  The drawback is that the lens may need different adjustments on different bodies, so its not a ultimate solution.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »