December 19, 2014, 11:41:04 AM

Author Topic: Own a 5D3 - need a backup...  (Read 4571 times)

Hydrogen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Own a 5D3 - need a backup...
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I presently own a 5D3.  Have had the 5D3 for three months now and really love the camera.  Wish I could own two 5D3's.  I would get the 5D2 as a backup, but @ ~$1,200 used, it's just way more than I'm willing to spend after investing in lighting equipment.  ~$700 is the absolute limit for me, even lower is better.

I am looking to get a better backup to the 5D3 than my 20D is (no contest) and I am considering a used 5D classic or used 50D.  I realize they are completely different options with pros and cons to each, but here is my thought process.  Please note that I am a prosumer turning professional and will be taking more and more family and couples portraits with a near-future goal to shoot weddings.

1. 5D will match the full frame of my 5D3 so it makes for a closer 1:1 backup in terms of FOV.

2. 5D appears it would have better high ISO performance.  Likely better IQ and shallower DOF because of the FF and higher DLA for those narrow aperture landscapes as the size of the photo sites being larger.  The 50D actually has a pretty low DLA of f/7.5 vs. the f/10.1 of the 5D3 and f/10.2 of my 20D.

3. A feature lacking in the 5D classic that I would very much be missing that I have in my 5D3 is AFMA.  This is one huge benefit in my view of the 50D and on a tangent, where I believe the 60D falls short and hope to see a 70D with AFMA again.  I want to be able to tweak my lenses myself (so long as they aren't way out of spec).  I sent lenses in when they exceed +/-5 AFMA.

4. Would down-sizing/sampling a 15MP image out of 50D down to 12MP to match that of those images coming from the 5D overcome any higher ISO noise from the 50D (to a point - i.e. ISO 1600)?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

-Darius
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:52:29 AM by Hydrogen »
5D Mark III | 1D Mark III | 20D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 28 f/1.8 | 35 f/1.4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 580ex | 430ex | 420ex

canon rumors FORUM

Own a 5D3 - need a backup...
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Own a 5D3 - need a backup...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:12 AM »
Hmm, 5Dc and 50D are pretty close in general IQ but at 1600ISO the 5Dc will have a slight edge, while you being used to the 5DIII now would mean the 5Dc would remain as an absolute backup as it'd be far slower in response and it'd possibly be 'uncomfortable' to switch to it.
I'm in a similar situation, don't quite need a backup yet but it would really help in some situations as my current is a 5DII and a backup of a Rebel T1i that I don't even touch, just purely an in case device. I could grab a used 60D for real cheap now, but the lack of AFMA bothers me as well, but for video work that isn't an issue, and I could limit the use of UWAs on that. While considering the 60Ds sensor isn't stellar with it's age and being behind the 5DII, I'm waiting to see what this 7DII/70D will turn out to be, if it's good and not insanely priced then I can go for that, if not then either way the 60D should hopefully drop in value some more and become a real bargain. I know other wedding shooters carrying the 60D or even 50D as second bodies so really either of those are perfectly usable.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »
As I don't know your saving scheme, how about to hold out  a bit longer and buy a 6D?
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:40:15 AM »
in terms of price and UI its the 7D with firmware 2xx
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
If you're going to buy that old of a camera, don't get the 5Dc.  Get a used 1Ds Mark II.  WAY better.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

crasher8

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
In a similar situation myself but really want the batteries to match so that limits my options. Have you considered that as well?

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »
I have been putting some thought into this same question recently as I  need a backup. I think the 6D is a great back up - the IQ is potentially very similar to the 5D and it expands your capabilities by adding the GPS, wireless and even low light ability. It is also a great B video cam. However I feel its too expensive. I'd wait a few months until its more heavily discounted.  My second consideration is that I find my self more and more interested in Landscape photog., for which canon and the 5D in general is not the best (as the wide lenses and zooms are supposedly better on the nikon side). Would it make sense to buy a D800, and a high end wide zoom? And maybe a more GP nikon zoom so that it could be a back up for the 5D? Quite often if I am at a scenic area doing long exposures which can take up to ten minutes per shot. I wish i had another camera to walk around with. The settings on both are very different and switching from long exp to say AV require that I change about 7 settings on the camera and I always miss a few, its annoying.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:34:46 PM by Wilmark »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
I have been putting some thought into this same question recently as I have been getting jobs where I need a backup. I think the 6D is a great back up - the IQ is potentially very similar to the 5D and it expands your capabilities by adding the GPS, wireless and even low light ability. It is also a great B video cam. However I feel its too expensive. I'd wait a few months until its more heavily discounted. 

You really think the 6D is going to drop that much over the next few months?

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »
You really think the 6D is going to drop that much over the next few months?

The 5D M3 dropped periodically about 6 months after it was released by a full $1000, even when there was strong demand. Most reviews clearly put the D600 ahead of the 6D, although there are issues with quality and dust.  I think the price will drop for short bursts,  but you have to be on the look out.

Hydrogen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses and considerations.

@Nishi Drew: It sounds like the 7DII may end up being a 'gripped' body and may be close to, or even exceed the US$2,000 mark.  Canon rep has been quoted as stating it will be in a 'different' league than the 7D.  At that point, a used 5D2 or 6D would make more sense here.  The 70D though, if they place a better sensor into it than the 60D/7D have today and bring AFMA back, it could be very interesting.  But at an estimated ~US$1,000+/- that may have me looking to a 5D2 again.

@Camerajah: 7D UI and body being very similar to the 5D3 would make for a good crop body alternative and would give me some more reach for bird/nature photog and that would be nice.  I am considering that.

@bdunbar79: I have also been looking at the 1DsII.  My concern is the old and more costly batteries, still lack of AFMA, very small LCD - smaller than 5Dc I think? and still a relatively higher ~US$1k price tag for such an old body.

@Wilmark: Do you own a Nikon? I ask because I have very much been lately considering a switch after my EF 35mm f/1.4L has been into service SEVEN times and they still have not been able to get it right and another zoom took FOUR repairs just to fix a small issue.  Canon Factory Service is slipping. I wouldn't mind being without a lens for 30 days (Nikon) if I have a higher chance of getting it back in perfect working order.  That said, are you referring to seven buttons/setting changes between Av and long-exposure as being a problem for you with the Nikon's or Canon's?  As I would use a Custom program for the long exposure tweaks on a Canon body.

If I can pick up the 5Dc for ~$500 I may just do it and then look to a 70D or something else in the future.

-Darius
5D Mark III | 1D Mark III | 20D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 28 f/1.8 | 35 f/1.4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 580ex | 430ex | 420ex

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
Love my 1Ds mk2 - batteries aren't that bad if you go non-oem:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817551012

The lcd screen sucks, no 2 ways about it.  But, it doubles as a blunt object if ever dealing with rioters.  Just keep in mind that moving back and forth between them requires you to be fully awake, or in my case 2 coffee's in.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
I have a similar situation, 5D M3 with a very heavy 1D as backup. 1D is great for wildlife (10 FPS), rugged, ... but weighs a ton.  How long should I wait for the 6D prices to fall?  Don't need a backup immediately, but will need one this summer or autumn.

Txema

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
I would recommend you the 5Dc. I`ve been using it for pro weddings and travel photography since it's release. It's a great camera though slow in extreme low light situations. I bought the 5D markIII on november, but with good light I still use the 5Dc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »
Wilmark: Do you own a Nikon? I ask because I have very much been lately considering a switch after my EF 35mm f/1.4L has been into service SEVEN times and they still have not been able to get it right and another zoom took FOUR repairs just to fix a small issue.  Canon Factory Service is slipping. I wouldn't mind being without a lens for 30 days (Nikon) if I have a higher chance of getting it back in perfect working order.  That said, are you referring to seven buttons/setting changes between Av and long-exposure as being a problem for you with the Nikon's or Canon's?  As I would use a Custom program for the long exposure tweaks on a Canon body.

I dont own nikon but I monitor the boards. I feel Nikon has more quality and service issues. If you look at the the D800 and D600 they are very good cameras on paper but bogged down by quality and customer issues (even superior to their canon counterparts theoretically). Nikon seems less likely to admit that there are issues. I think that CPS serves pros very well. I wouldn't make a judgement call on one lens issue. However i can see myself being served by a D800 and for that I will have to make a few lens purchases.  Long exposure usually means having multiple filters on the camera with autofocus and IS off, unfortunately custom settings dont take care of that! I suspect that bulb exposures may be easier on the D800, as i know that it has a built in intervalometer, still investigating. All the best.

stipotle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
I have had the 5D3 as well (for the last 6 months), upgrading from the 5Dc.

As a second body the 5Dc can be difficult, because it's so different from the mkIII (ergonomics and LCD). Switching back and forth is a bit frustrating. I don't know the ergonomics of the 50D though, so that will probably be a downside either way. I never use anything but center AF point either with the 5Dc - so if that's an important issue for you maybe that's +1 for the 7D and it's supposedly MUCH better AF. (But the 7D is over budget, so -1 right back)

HOWEVER - as a backup body I would say go for it.  I still LOVE the images from my 5Dc. if I didn't love the mkIII so much I would probably try to find more reasons to use the old body. I still think the IQ is fantastic (overall - color and noise patterns etc), and 1600 ISO is very much acceptable in RAW. If you can get one for $500-$600 I don't think there's a chance in hell you'd regret it.

Also - I think the full frame is probably a bigger deal than you think, ensuring that the lenses / lengths you are working with don't change.  I realize that AMFA is a real need, but honestly it was never an issue with the 5Dc for me.

Good Luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »