April 16, 2014, 04:50:45 PM

Author Topic: Do you use lens correction profiles when processing raw files or not with LR4  (Read 5431 times)

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
I just bought a 16-35 II and I it really does depend on the image and what the inbuilt correction can do for it.
On a lot of images I find myself going with the correction but letting the vignette largely remain as is adds to the framing.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

scott_m

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Not normally - because sometimes they don't work the way they are supposed to (or are not as effective).

I do however use the similar feature in DPP, which works amazingly well and had the added benefit of separating curvilinear distortion from all other corrections. This is a big deal because correcting CA improves detail in an image (it is one of the few truly non-destructive corrections) but distortion correction is always going to be stretching and/or squeezing pixels somewhere in the image, resulting in interpolation and less detail, and/or the appearance of strange artifacts. In many images that don't involve architecture, a bit of distortion can go unnoticed so I'd (personally) rather keep the detail. YMMV.

As nothed elsewhere in this thread, you can use the sliders in Lr to back off on the distortion correction but some changes are "baked in" (like where you see things far from the edges of the frame change size) so the ability to treat them separately (like DPP, which still has a few bugs) is limited.

Scott

yablonsky

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
I started to use the correction profiles for the first time with my 24-70 II in Adobe Camera Raw. Since vignetting is very strong here. I now use both distortion and vignetting correction at 100%. The result is ok.
5D2, 17-40 4L, 24-70 2.8L II, 70-200 4L IS,  300 4L IS

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
I only use lens corrections in critical situations where lines should be straight, such as horizons etc. I however use it sparingly because it messes with the original composition ie what I saw through the viewfinder no longer matches the processed result.

I've only just installed LR4 because I need something to process the raws from my Sony Nex. Sony Image Data Converter is unworkably slow, so I had to find something else.

The 16-50 Sony lens heavily distorts and depends on post-processing to correct it. The camera already does that on the fly and so you see the undistorted picture when taking photos (and the correction is applied to the jpg's but not the raws obviously). LR seems to be doing a pretty good job of it, but I miss the automatic NR functionality from DPP.

So, does anybody know if its possible in LR to automatically apply different levels of NR depending on ISO used?

5D3, 5D2, Sony NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: Ʃ19mm f/2.8 EX DN, Ʃ30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 OSS, 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes.

Simon_X_George

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Simple answer is I use it all the time, esp. for my Sigma 8-16 where it is particularly effective. I've not really seen any reason not to use it TBH

2n10

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I only use lens corrections in critical situations where lines should be straight, such as horizons etc. I however use it sparingly because it messes with the original composition ie what I saw through the viewfinder no longer matches the processed result.

I've only just installed LR4 because I need something to process the raws from my Sony Nex. Sony Image Data Converter is unworkably slow, so I had to find something else.

The 16-50 Sony lens heavily distorts and depends on post-processing to correct it. The camera already does that on the fly and so you see the undistorted picture when taking photos (and the correction is applied to the jpg's but not the raws obviously). LR seems to be doing a pretty good job of it, but I miss the automatic NR functionality from DPP.

So, does anybody know if its possible in LR to automatically apply different levels of NR depending on ISO used?

I think you need to do it manually.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

2n10

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Yes I use them in all of my PP.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

canon rumors FORUM

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
I use it generally, but if I have important features near the edge or corners, I find it distorts those things too much, then I will not use lens correction. 

Apop

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
I used to use them when i had the nikon 200-400

But now i have the canon 500mm f4 IS, and there is no such profile in LR4 :(

I am not experienced enough to make my own profiles, and have not yet made the effort to see if others are offering them.

Even though the 500 has less 'flaws' than the 200-400, I would still like a lens profile

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Yes 90+% of the time.   LR4 is lacking a profile for the canon500 f4 so I use the 600mm F4 profile.   Using profiles only has a small impact, but small impacts can add up

RayValdez360

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
SO   What i get from all this is to  use it if you need lines to be straight in an image, don't use it if detail is the most important factor because it softens or   makes it less detailed(even though no one provides visual examples), don't use it if it messes with the composition too much ( if that is  important.) Vignetting is totally  optional.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
SO   What i get from all this is to  use it if you need lines to be straight in an image, don't use it if detail is the most important factor because it softens or   makes it less detailed(even though no one provides visual examples), don't use it if it messes with the composition too much ( if that is  important.) Vignetting is totally  optional.

That's how I go about it. Remember, there are no set rules in photography ;)
5D3, 5D2, Sony NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: Ʃ19mm f/2.8 EX DN, Ʃ30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 OSS, 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes.

Dim

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • OpenEyes
Always use. I wrote it to defaults in LR4. And Camera Calibration for colours.
Forever Young!

canon rumors FORUM

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
"So, does anybody know if its possible in LR to automatically apply different levels of NR depending on ISO used? "

Yes it is, you can set default develop settings to any camera model and iso combination. First go into Lightroom: Preferences: and tick the Make defaults specific to camera ISO setting box, then go into the develop module and develop one image at the specific iso in the way you would want every image shot at that iso with that camera adjusted, then go to the Develop sub menu, not the module button, under Develop click the Set Default Settings, you then get a dialogue box that sounds a bit sinister but it tells you what it is creating, all images shot with that model camera and iso will, by default, get the current develop setting applied. They are of course, completely reversible.

Wow, thank you very much! This is very cool indeed :) I also ticked the 'make defaults specific to camera serial number' option so I can distinguish between my camera's. I'm really happy now - still have to decide on the levels of NR I require though. Maybe I can have a peek at the default settings in DPP  for each iso to get something to work from.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Lightroom 4.  I  have been using raws all the time now and I finally checked the lens correction button and I noticed my images getting brighter and stretched (undistorted?) I mainly shoot in clubs and some  portraits. I honestly didn't noticed  the pincushion effect but now that I know about it I am wondering if  my images might be better in the long run   if I correct  them. I use a 24-70. I get slight pincushion on the long end. SOmeone help me thanks....

Hell yes....on every single file. Automated so I never have to think about it.
This is one of the gold plated functions of LR as far as I'm concerned.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM