October 22, 2014, 05:08:14 AM

Author Topic: 7d2 Video specification speculation  (Read 3664 times)

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
7d2 Video specification speculation
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »
Pardon the pun in the title, it's Friday afternoon and I'm getting goofy.

Adding to my wish list of things that are unlikely to happen, along with AF-point-linked spot metering, I'm wondering what the chances are of seeing higher frame rate video in the 7d2. Obviously this is not based on anything more than line items on CR1 spec lists about "improved video", and there are lots of ways to improve video.

But, given that the 7d is geared towards sports shooters, might Canon include the ability to shoot 1080/60 (or better?) This would be a better spec than the 5d3 and 1dx, but the GoPro3 can do it, and that's a much smaller, cheaper little device. Plus, I want it to happen, and therefore I've convinced myself it's possible.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

canon rumors FORUM

7d2 Video specification speculation
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »

Kingnog

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: 7d2 Video specification speculation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
I don't see a pun in the title.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »

I think he meant alliteration.

Whatever the specs are, we can pretty much guarantee that specs will be totally nerfed compared to what the processors are capable of.

I hoping for a 7DC that give me RAW, but i doubts that's coming anytime in the near future.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
hahaha you lost me at AF point linked spot metering...
APS-H Fanboy

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:11 PM »

I think he meant alliteration.

Whatever the specs are, we can pretty much guarantee that specs will be totally nerfed compared to what the processors are capable of.

I hoping for a 7DC that give me RAW, but i doubts that's coming anytime in the near future.

Indeed. Thanks.

yeah... maybe that'll be good cause to start using ML.

also, 7DC?
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

al2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »
I would guess that the 7D2 video performance will be limited by the same overheating problems that limit all DSLRs.  DSLRs are camera that are designed to take photographs, but happen to have some ability to make video.  The video performance has to be limited to prevent the sensor and electronics from overheating and failing prematurely.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
I would guess that the 7D2 video performance will be limited by the same overheating problems that limit all DSLRs.  DSLRs are camera that are designed to take photographs, but happen to have some ability to make video.  The video performance has to be limited to prevent the sensor and electronics from overheating and failing prematurely.

I don't think sensor heat has anything to do with it. You don't need to expose the sensor more times, you just need to throw away less data.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »

Rofflesaurrr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »

I don't think sensor heat has anything to do with it. You don't need to expose the sensor more times, you just need to throw away less data.

I believe that it must have something to do with it. The 1DC has a heat spreader around the sensor to keep it cool. The Sony SLT cameras are known to overheat while shooting 1080p60 video. They don't actually overheat, but first display a warning, then shut down before any damage can occur. Even my RX100 will shut down if I shoot 1080p60 long enough at a high ISO. I'd imagine the thermal output increases as the sensor size increases. The GoPro Hero and most handheld video cameras have tiny sensors.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »

I believe that it must have something to do with it. The 1DC has a heat spreader around the sensor to keep it cool. The Sony SLT cameras are known to overheat while shooting 1080p60 video. They don't actually overheat, but first display a warning, then shut down before any damage can occur. Even my RX100 will shut down if I shoot 1080p60 long enough at a high ISO. I'd imagine the thermal output increases as the sensor size increases. The GoPro Hero and most handheld video cameras have tiny sensors.

The GoPro cameras also have a heating problem and will shutdown if they get too warm. That's why there is an open back for the case to be used in dry conditions.
The best camera is the one in your hands

al2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
Monitor the sensor temperature when using Live View.  Gets quite hot.  Seems like the same thing would happen during extended video recording.  The rest of the processing components are probably suffering the same fate. 

I never thought that Canon set out to design crippled video features, they just designed the camera for photography and then tested them to see what level of video performance could be achieved without compromising the life of the electronics.  They could have gone the route of allowing higher performance with thermal overload protection, but then the complaints would be about the camera shutting down. 

If they designed the hardware capable of the video some people want, our camera would be as big and expensive as the true video camera.  Probably more expensive, because they would still have to meet our expectations for stills and no video camera does that.  OK, the 1Dc does, but the price of that camera kind of proves the point.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »
Its pretty well established that the higher frame rates heat up a sensor more.  Camera manufacturers are scrambling for fixes that reduce heating as well as solutions to dissipate the heat.

I'd expect that this will be addressed in the distant future by the time the 7D MK II comes out.   The other issue is getting a fast enough readout from the sensor without a big quality hit.

I'd expect 60 fps @ 1080 in a $2500 camera.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »

Of course higher frame rates will put more heat on the sensor. What i am saying is, a far greater increase in video image quality can be achieved by throwing away less information from the sensor than adding more exposures(6op does have it's uses, but for many people it offers no useful advantage). 

It's time Canon took the handcuffs off it's dslrs.

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »
Its pretty well established that the higher frame rates heat up a sensor more.  Camera manufacturers are scrambling for fixes that reduce heating as well as solutions to dissipate the heat.

I'd expect that this will be addressed in the distant future by the time the 7D MK II comes out.   The other issue is getting a fast enough readout from the sensor without a big quality hit.

I'd expect 60 fps @ 1080 in a $2500 camera.

Why? The Panasonic GH3 has it for $1200. All Sony DSLTs have it, as well as their $700 NEX model. Canon is simply lagging and greedy and it is infuriating so see so much ignorance in Canon fans and how they blindly follow Canon's explanations.

On a related note, Canon said they are unable hdmi out on the 5D mark III due to technical limitations but now it is announced and coming in April. Open you eyes and question what you hear. Canon is lying.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 03:12:08 AM »
Pardon the pun in the title, it's Friday afternoon and I'm getting goofy.

Adding to my wish list of things that are unlikely to happen, along with AF-point-linked spot metering, I'm wondering what the chances are of seeing higher frame rate video in the 7d2. Obviously this is not based on anything more than line items on CR1 spec lists about "improved video", and there are lots of ways to improve video.

But, given that the 7d is geared towards sports shooters, might Canon include the ability to shoot 1080/60 (or better?) This would be a better spec than the 5d3 and 1dx, but the GoPro3 can do it, and that's a much smaller, cheaper little device. Plus, I want it to happen, and therefore I've convinced myself it's possible.

I really hope 7D2 will have 1080/60 fps AND 720/120 fps. I believe the speculated dual DIGIC 5 processors will have enough processing power for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 03:12:08 AM »