October 20, 2014, 03:00:03 PM

Author Topic: Crazy... go Nikon?  (Read 38863 times)

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Crazy... go Nikon?
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Call me mad... but cameras are a tool and the eye is all important.

I make the most photographically via my landscape and fine art prints, and I also cover events and photojournalism.

Up till recently I used a 1Ds III and a 24 mm TS-E II for the first and a 1DX with a 70-200 mm and a 400 mm f/2.8 I IS L for the second. Although quite happy with the TS-E II and the 1DX, I am feeling quite a bit let down by the 1Ds III. Files simply are not up to scratch compared to a 1DX.

Now a crazy thought entered my mind... how about going dark, and selling part of the gear to reinvest in a D800E (!!) and the fabled 14-24 mm, since I do most of my work on the landscape side?

The 400 mm f/2.8 has already been sold, at a profit. The fisheye, 135 f/2, 100 mm macro, 50 mm 1.2 might consider selling, keeping the 70-200 mm and the tilt shift.

Does playing both systems make sense? Canon have no higher resolution sensor, and the Nikkor ultrawide is a renowned lens. Now Canon might be considering a higher MP body at some point, but it is still total vaporware.

canon rumors FORUM

Crazy... go Nikon?
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: Crazy... go Nikon?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »

+1

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »

I make the most photographically via my landscape and fine art prints, and I also cover events and photojournalism.

Up till recently I used a 1Ds III and a 24 mm TS-E II for the first and a 1DX with a 70-200 mm and a 400 mm f/2.8 I IS L for the second. Although quite happy with the TS-E II and the 1DX, I am feeling quite a bit let down by the 1Ds III. Files simply are not up to scratch compared to a 1DX.

Now a crazy thought entered my mind... how about going dark, and selling part of the gear to reinvest in a D800E (!!) and the fabled 14-24 mm, since I do most of my work on the landscape side?

The 400 mm f/2.8 has already been sold, at a profit. The fisheye, 135 f/2, 100 mm macro, 50 mm 1.2 might consider selling, keeping the 70-200 mm and the tilt shift.

Does playing both systems make sense? Canon have no higher resolution sensor, and the Nikkor ultrawide is a renowned lens. Now Canon might be considering a higher MP body at some point, but it is still total vaporware.

I can't think of any reason you couldn't shoot both.  Use one system for one set of purposes, and the other system for the other set.  Like you said, they are just tools. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

goodplanet

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Nobody would call you crazy whoever did the same. I was Canon for 6 years. Liked it. Still like many things about it. But after D800 experience and different picture feel from sensor, I gave up. My eyes and mind was kind of tired of Canon's redish look and beautiful decorations out of their sensor. I found something new with Nikon and experiencing it in a real good way. If Magic Latern was on Nikon camera's (I also do video) I'd hardly look at C again. However I like new crisp look of D800 video as well. To have both systems is a good way to learn both worlds.

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »
Nikon D800E is made for landscape shooters, isnt it? If you need the high MP why not? nothing crazy.

Rogerone

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
I've already switched part of my kit to Nikon - the Nikon D800E. And I may consider switching entirely from Canon to Nikon if they bring out a high spec pro model based on the 36mp sensor. I'm beginning to lose faith in Canon's ability to produce cameras that I want to use, even though I've been a Canon user for the past decade. 

Despite the hype, the Canon EOS1 Dx is clearly a sports camera. I suspect that Canon has had a much higher pixel count camera in development, which for some reason, has failed to materialise. The decision to hype the 1Dx as the new flagship body has clearly been a desperate ploy designed to buy time to find a replacement.

In past I would have stuck with Canon though thick and thin, but also because I had invested so much money in Canon glass. However, new high MP cameras are showing up the flaws in old lens designs, so we'll have to replace our lenses with new one anyway if we want to up grade. Therefore, being tied in to a lens range no longer applies.

I do hope Canon get their act together soon. The EOS 1DS Mk III was and still is a superb professional camera body. However, if Nikon bring out the rumoured Dx4 in the Autumn, with fast processors linked to the 36mp sensor, Canon are dead in the water. Everyone will jump ship. And once they have invested in Nikon glass, they're not going to change back again for quite some time, regardless of what Canon does later.   

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
I've already switched part of my kit to Nikon - the Nikon D800E. And I may consider switching entirely from Canon to Nikon if they bring out a high spec pro model based on the 36mp sensor. I'm beginning to lose faith in Canon's ability to produce cameras that I want to use, even though I've been a Canon user for the past decade. 

Despite the hype, the Canon EOS1 Dx is clearly a sports camera. I suspect that Canon has had a much higher pixel count camera in development, which for some reason, has failed to materialise. The decision to hype the 1Dx as the new flagship body has clearly been a desperate ploy designed to buy time to find a replacement.

In past I would have stuck with Canon though thick and thin, but also because I had invested so much money in Canon glass. However, new high MP cameras are showing up the flaws in old lens designs, so we'll have to replace our lenses with new one anyway if we want to up grade. Therefore, being tied in to a lens range no longer applies.

I do hope Canon get their act together soon. The EOS 1DS Mk III was and still is a superb professional camera body. However, if Nikon bring out the rumoured Dx4 in the Autumn, with fast processors linked to the 36mp sensor, Canon are dead in the water. Everyone will jump ship. And once they have invested in Nikon glass, they're not going to change back again for quite some time, regardless of what Canon does later.

Everyone will jump ship?  Wow!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »
My eyes and mind was kind of tired of Canon's redish look and beautiful decorations out of their sensor. I found something new with Nikon and experiencing it in a real good way. If Magic Latern was on Nikon camera's (I also do video) I'd hardly look at C again.

Does this mean we can look forward to you not lurking here in the awful Canon land? Please, can you do that for us poor blighted Canon folk?  ::)
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Canon-F1

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »

reading your first sentence and then the rest of your stuff.... it crossed my mind if you are a bit schizophrenic?

Canon-F1

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
can a mod please check the IP´s of all these one-post-posters poping up here lately?

it kind of struck me that there are so many new users here who have nothing to tell beside how great nikon is.   ::)

i smell a troll....

pknight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
Everyone will jump ship?  Wow!

I count three people here who have switched or gone with dual systems.  I think Canon has sold at least 6 cameras, so no more than 50% have switched.  ;)

goodplanet

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »
what exactly can I try to do for you mister? 8)

Does this mean we can look forward to you not lurking here in the awful Canon land? Please, can you do that for us poor blighted Canon folk?  ::)

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »
can a mod please check the IP´s of all these one-post-posters poping up here lately?

it kind of struck me that there are so many new users here who have nothing to tell beside how great nikon is.   ::)

i smell a troll....

It's just how awesome Nikon cameras are. Face it: There are situations (Landscape, Studio) where Canon can't compete anymore and Nikon has taken the lead. If only the lenses would be compatible or Nikon would produce a camera with EF mount...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »

goodplanet

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
Now that's where I see the problem with many folks on canon or nikon side. If someone says something good about Nikon on Canon forum, then, suddenly "trolls are starting to appear from the woods" and smell of sarcasm follows.  don't let bias rule you. be simple. CR is posting new Nikon releases too - does this mean there's something fishy here?

i smell a troll....

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:12:22 AM »
If you make the most from landscape photography I say WOW indeed. That must be the hardest area in photography to actually make money.

Many of our most (financially ) successful pictures at B-P are taken on an old 13mp camera. Just to think what we'd have made if they'd been shot on a 36mp  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:12:22 AM »