October 25, 2014, 10:54:45 AM

Author Topic: Crazy... go Nikon?  (Read 39181 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy... go Nikon?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
No camera maker is constantly the best..... The newest technology usually wins....

For example, look at APS-C..... When the current sensor came out, it was the best thing out there.... Four years have passed and now it is inferior to the Nikon, Sony, and even the latest 4/3 sensors beat it...when they release a new sensor, it will probably be the best one out there.... Until the next time someone releases a new sensor.

All of these sensors are good and the differences are not night and day, it's a bit better at this and a bit worse at that. A quality lens or two will probably make more difference to most people.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »
You could rent the Nikon gear. Shoot tests where you properly expose both cameras. If you like Nikon result you could use both or switch entirely.
I personally know people who have done the switch.

I will stick to Canon as using the 1dx makes me miss fewer shots (fast focus and 12fps). And that alone is important.

I would love to see a proper comparison between the two cameras done at 100 iso while properly exposing landscapes...

Btw, you NOT crazy or anything like that. Anyone who feels you are, needs to examine themselves.

If you ever make a comparison test, please inbox me. I want to see!!

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
If you make the most from landscape photography I say WOW indeed. That must be the hardest area in photography to actually make money.

Many of our most (financially ) successful pictures at B-P are taken on an old 13mp camera. Just to think what we'd have made if they'd been shot on a 36mp  :'(

The best landscape picture I have ever taken was with a 2.1 megapixel Olympus point and shoot. Time, place, light, and season trumps gear!
The best camera is the one in your hands

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
If your specialty is landscape and you want high MP, it seems to me that medium format would be the most logical choice.  The Leica S2 looks particularly appealing (based solely on form of body - I have not used it or any other medium format myself).

Keeping both (Canon and Nikon) I do not think makes sense - go with one or the other.  For one thing, Nikon lenses mount and focus in the opposite direction of Canon (and all other brands).  Would confuse me (but perhaps not you) to have to switch back and forth.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »
Your logic appears sound. Damn shame people in business have to face such perplexing choices. As good as camera/lens makers are you'd think they'd see this and create specialty equipment to hold their customers.

I think you're looking at a business decision. If you go with Nikon for one part of your business, will it generate more revenue? It seems like it may be more personally satisfying for you, but if it doesn't add more to the bottom line, why are you really doing it?

Either way I'm sure you'll do fine -- and have fun and satisfying photographic experiences.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »
If you make the most from landscape photography I say WOW indeed. That must be the hardest area in photography to actually make money.

Many of our most (financially ) successful pictures at B-P are taken on an old 13mp camera. Just to think what we'd have made if they'd been shot on a 36mp  :'(

The best landscape picture I have ever taken was with a 2.1 megapixel Olympus point and shoot. Time, place, light, and season trumps gear!

+1  :D

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
Depends with which gear you feel comfortable.
I like the Colani- design of the bodys since the old T90.
And the "better" sensor: panta rei.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »
Depends with which gear you feel comfortable.

+1

Canon-F1

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
Now that's where I see the problem with many folks on canon or nikon side. If someone says something good about Nikon on Canon forum, then, suddenly "trolls are starting to appear from the woods" and smell of sarcasm follows.  don't let bias rule you. be simple. CR is posting new Nikon releases too - does this mean there's something fishy here?

can a mod please check the IP´s of all these one-post-posters poping up here lately?

it kind of struck me that there are so many new users here who have nothing to tell beside how great nikon is.   ::)

i smell a troll....

i have said my part of bad things about canon. your barking at the wrong tree.

it´s the number of "one post poster" lately that make me suspicious.
seems like many new users (or maybe just on or two under different names) just register on a canon forum to praise nikon.   ::)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:00:27 PM by Canon-F1 »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »

And so you are saying exactly what?

Canon-F1

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »

Time, place, light, and season trumps gear!

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »
I am not against Nikon per se...but I question these posts which are clearly meant to provoke a response in a clearly Canon-centered forum...sort of like Ann Coulter..."provocateur".

I question the intent....not the substance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:38:05 PM by RS2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »

Time, place, light, and season trumps gear!

Agree. BUT I would rather shoot the same thing with a lens/body combination way better than the 2.1 mp Olympus. BUT that is just me...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 01:03:27 PM »
Does playing both systems make sense? Canon have no higher resolution sensor, and the Nikkor ultrawide is a renowned lens. Now Canon might be considering a higher MP body at some point, but it is still total vaporware.

For me it is working.  I now have both a D800 and the D800E and I do prefer the D800E.  I'm mostly a seascape and landscape photographer and you are right about the Nikon 14-24.  It is a really great lens.

Now for the bad news.  Perhaps I have a bad copy but I'm preparing to send my 24 tilt-shift lens for modification and repair (Nikon does not allow for tilting and shifting in the same axis unless you send it back for repair).  The repair part is that I have an area on the left side of the frame (about 10-15) that is not as sharp as the right side and it never gets focused.  I really miss my 17 and 24 Canon TSE lenses because of their ability to rotate tilt and shift into the same axis.  Just great lenses but with the 14-24 and the 36 MP of the Nikon D800E just trumps it.  And yes I have done the landscape test with both cameras on a bar shooting at the same time.  The extra detail on the Nikon is a kick!

I'm keeping my Canon gear for now but I'm not using it very often.  I'm waiting for Canon to pay attention once again to still landscape photography.  I'm taking delivery on my 24mp D7100 crop camera for birding rather than waiting for the firmware to hopefully help my poor 7D 18mp crop camera.  Where is Canon?  They promised firmware for this camera last fall.  It is now spring and they can't even get firmware to us.

For me the bottom line is this.  You have to shoot with whatever best tech is available at the time.  I have decided to go with both realizing that I will never be able to predict which camp will have the best products at the time that I need them.  I can only tell you that using Nikon for the first time has opened my eyes to some better ways (like CLS lighting) that I was not even aware of before.  What a treat!

Why am I also on this forum?  This is Canon Rumors.  I want to hear some Good Rumors of NEW Canon cameras.  Nikon Rumors is too full of actual new Nikon Cameras and lenses being announced and then delivered.  Even the manuals were available for the D7100 the day after the D7100 started shipping as well as the Camera Raw version for the new camera.  What a treat!

I hope that Canon Rumors will once again be talking about announcements for a large MP Canon camera, actual delivery dates (maybe a month or two later), and new lenses that are affordable (like under 10k for a supertele like the 500mm mk2). 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:26:38 PM by Bruce Photography »

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
I am having similar thoughts. Thinking about a d800 for landscapes and long exposures. I think I need a second body to expand the functionality and to offer duplication for backup.  I  find it cumbersome when i am spending hours at a great landscape site and I have to wait on average between 5-10 mins between exposures and I dont have a second walk around body. I think the 5D3 is superior to the d800 in practical terms although the d800 is superior on paper and could have been a better camera had it not been for some quirks, bugs and quality issues. To have both canon and nikon gear I would have to have some duplication like maybe a few gp zooms and higher quality lenses in areas where the nikon shines - like with the wide zoom etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »