October 21, 2014, 04:05:50 AM

Author Topic: Crazy... go Nikon?  (Read 38903 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy... go Nikon?
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2013, 11:58:41 AM »
You also asked, "Why shoot mid day?"

Well, should I call the athletic director at AU and tell him the sun won't be in the proper position to photograph the soccer match?

Just kidding.  Sometimes though, you have to shoot mid day, outside, and you don't have a choice.  I've had to and have never had any problems with RAW files from a 1D4, 5D3, or 1DX.  You just understand how to maximize the DR that your camera is capable of doing, and do it.  14 stops vs. 11 stops will never matter if you can do that.

Sports is one thing, wildlife is another. Either of them mid-day won't be too pretty.

My worst work is from those games, so you got that right.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2013, 11:58:41 AM »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
Neat, my question is why shoot mid-day? I dont know what situation you were in but afternoon light is less harsh. A d800 shot at noon will look blown out and uglier than a P&S shot done at the proper time.

I was shooting from noon till dawn, and by now I know where it gets tricky - in high contrast I need a fill flash (fill light in LR just isn't the same), and action shots (i.e. high shutter = high iso = less dr) are out of the question or it looks like a p&s.

But good :-> to hear the d800 also doesn't do it, I cannot say how big the real world advantage is at low iso - I just have one guy in mind that posted beach volleyball shots here and said the d800 really made the difference.

And to think I didn't have as many stops of DR as the D800.  Man what my photos could have been...

Please do take not I'm not saying you cannot do good high contrast shots with Canon - it just takes more thought, equipment, knowledge & postprocessing and some limited scenes simply are dr-limited.

One notorious example are shots with the sun in the frame - the corona is more or less pronounced according to dr range (unless you do hdr bracketing) and/or the front shadows have more definition. Since I really like backlit nature scenes maybe I stumble across it more often than others.

:|
blown and clipped on both ends is lovely if you're going for that sort of look
I prefer mine
www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9299.msg172776#msg172776
append - those are pretty much straight out of camera, BTW

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
I don't understand how somebody can claim to not post their best work on their retail website? I fully understand not posting your work in forums, I only post test shots and snaps that illustrate a particular point, but to claim you are better than your retail website sounds a bit of a stretch.
cuz, I have a job, a family, and a life.
I don't have time to push my web site or market myself harder right now
nor spend hours/day here

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
I don't understand how somebody can claim to not post their best work on their retail website? I fully understand not posting your work in forums, I only post test shots and snaps that illustrate a particular point, but to claim you are better than your retail website sounds a bit of a stretch.
nor spend hours/day here

Really?  But you do have time to argue stupid and meaningless, and unfounded points on a rumors website?  Oh the irony.

Fortunately I don't need 14 stops of DR because for the most part, I know what I'm doing.  Not always, but for the most part.  And to stupidly assign blown/clipped highlights to Canon cameras.  You have time for that too.  If you have trouble with highlights and shadows, they offer photography courses.  I suppose though, those with Nikon cameras don't need photography courses because the sensor allows them to do everything exactly correctly, whereas with Canon you don't have this luxury.  With your busy life though,  you probably wouldn't have time for any of that either.

Good job. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »
looks like someone hasn't met a GND filter yet

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Neat, my question is why shoot mid-day? I dont know what situation you were in but afternoon light is less harsh. A d800 shot at noon will look blown out and uglier than a P&S shot done at the proper time.

I was shooting from noon till dawn, and by now I know where it gets tricky - in high contrast I need a fill flash (fill light in LR just isn't the same), and action shots (i.e. high shutter = high iso = less dr) are out of the question or it looks like a p&s.

But good :-> to hear the d800 also doesn't do it, I cannot say how big the real world advantage is at low iso - I just have one guy in mind that posted beach volleyball shots here and said the d800 really made the difference.

And to think I didn't have as many stops of DR as the D800.  Man what my photos could have been...

Please do take not I'm not saying you cannot do good high contrast shots with Canon - it just takes more thought, equipment, knowledge & postprocessing and some limited scenes simply are dr-limited.

One notorious example are shots with the sun in the frame - the corona is more or less pronounced according to dr range (unless you do hdr bracketing) and/or the front shadows have more definition. Since I really like backlit nature scenes maybe I stumble across it more often than others.

:|
blown and clipped on both ends is lovely if you're going for that sort of look
I prefer mine
www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9299.msg172776#msg172776
append - those are pretty much straight out of camera, BTW

Ahem, my samples have subject matter which you obviously discount. Which none of your sample's have.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2013, 02:40:52 AM »
nor spend hours/day here

Really?  But you do have time to argue stupid and meaningless, and unfounded points on a rumors website?  Oh the irony.

Fortunately I don't need 14 stops of DR because for the most part, I know what I'm doing.  Not always, but for the most part.  And to stupidly assign blown/clipped highlights to Canon cameras.  You have time for that too.  If you have trouble with highlights and shadows, they offer photography courses.  I suppose though, those with Nikon cameras don't need photography courses because the sensor allows them to do everything exactly correctly, whereas with Canon you don't have this luxury.  With your busy life though,  you probably wouldn't have time for any of that either.

Good job.

What can I tell you , I feel compelled to teach and recalcitrant students are so challenging. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2013, 02:40:52 AM »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2013, 02:54:03 AM »
Ahem, my samples have subject matter which you obviously discount. Which none of your sample's have.
I'm not seein' any such merit over mine in these examples, and not that it matters.
The interesting point is they were shot with Canon bodies.  I exposed mine to render the incredible sunset color gradient that evening and yours...
Well, they just sit there.  Artistically boring, but they might make good stock images where that doesn't matter.
Do you think you could have exposed and processed any of them differently to make a more compelling image?
I do, despite the Canon limitations on the sunset shot.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2013, 03:59:29 AM »
I'm not seein' any such merit over mine in these examples, and not that it matters.
The interesting point is they were shot with Canon bodies.  I exposed mine to render the incredible sunset color gradient that evening and yours...
Well, they just sit there.  Artistically boring, but they might make good stock images where that doesn't matter.
Do you think you could have exposed and processed any of them differently to make a more compelling image?

::)

Sporgon

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2013, 04:03:23 AM »

Just out of curiosity; why not ? As long as the files are very small.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2013, 08:36:26 AM »

This is not the place where I put my best work and yes, these shots are just stock photos. My best work is reserved for my website and my portfolio albums.

Any 8 year old can underexpose a sunset but what I meant by subject matter is I have to expose for a foreground element and the bright sky background element at the same time. Which is relevant to you saying how terrible the DR is on canon cameras, which I'm replying with photos that say your over blowing the topic. IE: a backlit situation, where your photos only have to expose for the sunset, I have to expose for both.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:55:01 AM by RLPhoto »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:20 PM »
At the very outset I offer my apologies for wading into this rather heated discussion. This is a shot I took with the 6D. Please let me know how a Nikon camera would have helped with this.

I'm just a hobbyist and humble student of photography ... HELP!
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

Lodimup

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »
At the very outset I offer my apologies for wading into this rather heated discussion. This is a shot I took with the 6D. Please let me know how a Nikon camera would have helped with this.

You would have details on the trees.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »

You haven't played fair: you're supposed to underexposed by at least four stops, then pull your shadows up to equal the highlights, then post a 200% view and complain about the noise.  ;D

P.S, you may know how to expose but you're horizon's off, a Nikon would have corrected this.
Exposing correctly b*****ks the whole thing up and takes the fun out of it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:47:56 PM by Sporgon »

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »

Help?
Help is when you have compared 2 systems as here, and you can se the pattern noise in Canons sensors compared to Sonys sensors in Nikon with out any pattern noise= 14 stops DR compared to 11 with pattern noise
In others words, it depends how you are developing the pictures and what you want to show from the shadows up to high lights
or you could pop a flash for fill, which with the 600EX RT would have fired, but the Nikon SB910 with CLS wouldn't due to the sunlight.
Sensors : Nikon 1
Canon 0

Flash:
Canon 1
Nikon 0.

It's more than a sensor

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »