September 30, 2014, 11:59:53 AM

Author Topic: Crazy... go Nikon?  (Read 37915 times)

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy... go Nikon?
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2013, 08:07:39 PM »
In manual flash and manual camera both systems could produce superb casual looking publishable images. But you need a shitload of skill and experience to pull that stuff off well.
no argument from me. IMHO people need to stop whining and get learning.
No camera is perfect.
Deal with it, improve your skills to get around any limitations and let nothing hold you back.
I doubt all the greats spent all their time dissing on their cameras, I bet they spent their time improving themselves

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2013, 08:07:39 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies -

@ankorwatt - Thanks ... I see your point with the FPN and it is just plain bad. BTW, how many stops were you trying to raise the shadows?

@ Ewinter - Thanks and I wholeheartedly agree ... but it is good to know the limits of what your camera can or cannot do so that one can think of a workaround to the limitations

@ pbd - Thanks. I usually try exposing optimally for the shadow areas and bring down the highlights in post - which is what I did here. and you are right - I really didn't want a low contrast image. I wonder though why Canon's highlight recovery isn't considered in these DR discussions.

BTW, I feel nothing beats the good old GND filters for landscapes.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2013, 02:34:08 AM »
At the very outset I offer my apologies for wading into this rather heated discussion. This is a shot I took with the 6D. Please let me know how a Nikon camera would have helped with this.

I'm just a hobbyist and humble student of photography ... HELP!
I like your shot and glad you got a 6D instead of going the cheap route with a 5d2.
the 6d has improved significantly in areas where some of us cursed the 5d2 as PoS.
the shot, even if it was level in reality (likely not?) would likely appear a little better with some rotation applied to provide a more natural symmetry and sense of vertical balance.
tho many of us are horizonally-challenged despite the best efforts of built in artificial horizons.  I need Pentax's built in auto-level sensor rotation. :)

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2013, 06:39:29 AM »
At the very outset I offer my apologies for wading into this rather heated discussion. This is a shot I took with the 6D. Please let me know how a Nikon camera would have helped with this.

Help?
Help is when you have compared 2 systems as here, and you can se the pattern noise in Canons sensors compared to Sonys sensors in Nikon with out any pattern noise= 14 stops DR compared to 11 with pattern noise
In others words, it depends how you are developing the pictures and what you want to show from the shadows up to high lights
Or you could have exposed them differently to start with. If you take a picture into the setting sun, are you sure you are after the details in the ladies' backs? Personally, I would see that more as a silhouette shot.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2013, 06:43:44 AM »

Help?
Help is when you have compared 2 systems as here, and you can se the pattern noise in Canons sensors compared to Sonys sensors in Nikon with out any pattern noise= 14 stops DR compared to 11 with pattern noise
In others words, it depends how you are developing the pictures and what you want to show from the shadows up to high lights
Or you could have exposed them differently to start with. If you take a picture into the setting sun, are you sure you are after the details in the ladies' backs? Personally, I would see that more as a silhouette shot.

+1 ... however, IMHO a GND filter would have gone a long way in improving the shot
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »

A nikon devotee will tell you otherwise and a photographer will say it looks fine.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »

A nikon devotee will tell you otherwise and a photographer will say it looks fine.

or one with out knowleadge and not have  done any real comparisons by them self

How about some real photos to prove me otherwise?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
there are many, look and you will find, if you still denial the difference between 14 stops of DR and 11 with pattern noise, it is time for you to use a d800, d7000 and do you own comparison.

Viewing your attachment's all you've ever posted is just test charts. Quite disappointing, how can I ever take your "Photography" advise seriously?

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
there are many, look and you will find, if you still denial the difference between 14 stops of DR and 11 with pattern noise, it is time for you to use a d800, d7000 and do you own comparison.

Viewing your attachment's all you've ever posted is just test charts. Quite disappointing, how can I ever take your "Photography" advise seriously?

still problems , or denialing them, se earlier answer

It seems your in denial. You seem to believe your a photographer, and I cannot ascertain that from information I've been given.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »

still problems , or denialing them, se earlier answer

It seems your in denial. You seem to believe your a photographer, and I cannot ascertain that from information I've been given.

You are a funny man

My humor can only go so far.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
It only has 11 stops of DR.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »

+1   If you use a D800, your humor will be able to capture the full emotional range of the conversation, from the deepest greenish blacks of jealousy to the brightest, most ebullient highlights of joy.  Sadly, your pathetic 11 stops doesn't allow you to push the blocked up shadows of trollish frustration without the repeated pattern of noisy 'Canon sucks' whining.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »
14 stop in a raw histogram?
the motive was enough, from  the sun and down to  the shadows , deep enogue to show pattern noise from the canon.

Dude, you're the only one on this forum that's ever used the word "motive" so everyone one's pretty sure they now know who it is.
image, scene, shot, picture, composition are words that would have helped keep you under cover. ;)
Welcome back, BTW.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »

+1   If you use a D800, your humor will be able to capture the full emotional range of the conversation, from the deepest greenish blacks of jealousy to the brightest, most ebullient highlights of joy.  Sadly, your pathetic 11 stops doesn't allow you to push the blocked up shadows of trollish frustration without the repeated pattern of noisy 'Canon sucks' whining.

If I didn't nail my punchline with 11 stops, I doubt that 14 stops would make it less of an awkward pause.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:21:05 PM by RLPhoto »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »

If I didn't nail my punchline with 11 stops, I doubt that 14 stops would make it less of an awkward pause.

Yeah right ... Gear doesn't matter! ;)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »