December 20, 2014, 06:25:40 PM

Author Topic: Is there anything I can improve on this gear list?  (Read 4427 times)

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Re: Is there anything I can improve on this gear list?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
You have good gear, get out and shoot, when you gravitate towards a particular niche, then invest at that point.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
Is there any other lens that I should be looking at? I mainly shoot at family parties and friendly gatherings. Occasionally I do some landscape photography and interior/exterior photography of buildings
I'm thinking about getting a Canon 24-105 but I have lens that already cover that focal length. I do want some primes like the Canon 35mm f/2 or the Canon 100mm f/2 (not the 2.8 macro).

One of the key things in accruing gear is to whittle your style down to its essense...what is it you do the most and beef up lenses in that area first then wander into "one of each" teritory. This is not to say you don't play around and do other things, everyone does, but cover your important base first.

As you note "mainly shoot at family parties and friendly gatherings"... 35mm through 135mm are great choices and canon offers awesome primes and nice zooms in this territory. Given your recent move up and choosing the original 5DC (awesome smart choice btw)...I will not suggest the $2000 lenses... the old 35 f/2 is cheap and does a great job, or invest a few bucks more and perhaps get the newer IS 35mm model....or 85 f/1.8 is also a good lens for parties and if you want to remain at a distance. Speaking of remaining at a distance and yet have IS, build quality, IQ and flexibility...the 24-105L is a great zoom. Even the 135L is really affordable nowadays... plenty of options is always better than no options...enjoy! :)

“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
You have good gear, get out and shoot, when you gravitate towards a particular niche, then invest at that point.
+1

As several others have said, you have a good set of lenses.  Shoot for a while and see if there is something missing,then pull the trigger on new glass.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:26 AM »
40mm shorty forty and
an 85mm prime

canon 85f1.8 for cheap option
sigma 85 f1.4 for reasonable price
canon 85 f1.2L for boatloads of cash to throw around and bath in
APS-H Fanboy

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »
40mm shorty forty and
an 85mm prime

canon 85f1.8 for cheap option
sigma 85 f1.4 for reasonable price
canon 85 f1.2L for boatloads of cash to throw around and bath in

I don't think I want a 40mm. It collides with my 50mm which I can't sell (Since It was a gift from my girlfriend ahaha).

+1

As several others have said, you have a good set of lenses.  Shoot for a while and see if there is something missing,then pull the trigger on new glass.

Haha thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Seriously the 24-105 would be a great addition.   Who wants to change lens all the time?   Light weight and respectfully sharp. 

I don't mind changing lenses. Well, actually I do now that I have a 5Dc. People are right about not having sensor cleaning haha. It doesn't bother me too much because I clean the sensor myself at least every 2 months. Copperhill has great stuff haha.

If I'm you, I would sell all your current lenses and settle for two SHARPEST zooms:

1. 24-70 f2.8 II
2. 70-200 f2.8 IS II

My 2cents, you have too many f4 lenses.

Personally, I feel that I don't "need" f/2.8. It'd be extremely nice, but I don't have that kind of funds haha... unless I win the lottery. If I do, I will give everyone on this forum a lens!
Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
I'd sell the 17-40mm (and the flashes) and put the money in the bank towards a future camera ... or nice road trip!
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

faccray

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 04:38:44 AM »
...if the budget allows it I would go for a TS-E 24mm F3.5 L II..I find that I use it all the time on my 5DMK3 and 7D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 04:38:44 AM »

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

... I mainly shoot at family parties and friendly gatherings. Occasionally I do some landscape photography and interior/exterior photography of buildings

Try shooting with the 50mm f/1.8 ONLY for awhile. Zoom with your feet. Photos of family and friends look better when shot at a shorter focal length ... 200mm is way too impersonal.

"Robert Capa once said, “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” Capa wasn’t advocating the use of longer lenses; he was telling us to physically get closer — to become more involved and intimate with our subjects. In fact, a wide-angle lens is often a better choice than a telephoto lens when you want to “zoom in” on your subject." http://rising.blackstar.com/if-your-pictures-arent-good-enough-youre-not-close-enough.html

Photography is all about taking meaningful pictures ... not about collecting gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »