October 21, 2014, 04:57:15 AM

Author Topic: Frustrated with Canon  (Read 7903 times)

Rogerone

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Frustrated with Canon
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:01:56 AM »
Am I alone in feeling that Canon has, perhaps, lost its way at the top end of the market, albeit temporarily ?  The new top end models simply don't provide what I want. The EOS1DX is clearly a sports camera body, not a studio camera, and I resent Canon for trying to pretend that it is.

I've been with Canon now for years, having used their EOS film bodies before digital . Time spent with Nikon !DXs confirmed my view that Canon had far superior ergonomics, and five years ago, the Canon EOS1DS Mk III was a game changer. However, since then Canon seems to have lost touch with its professional customers. As a result, last year, I bought a Nikon ( D800E) which I currently run along side my Canon equipment. It is a fine camera. Nikon seems to have priced this camera very competitively indeed, and I gather that it is making large inroads into what should have been the preserve of the 5D3 market.

Now we're told that Canon have no intention of producing a higher MP camera until next year, and given Canon's habit of announcing cameras long before they actually become available, the reality could be some time after that.  By which time the Nikon D4X will be out.   

How frustrating. I want to stay with Canon, but they sure are making it difficult.

canon rumors FORUM

Frustrated with Canon
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:01:56 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated with Canon
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:12:55 AM »
Am I alone in feeling that Canon has, perhaps, lost its way at the top end of the market, albeit temporarily ?  The new top end models simply don't provide what I want. The EOS1DX is clearly a sports camera body, not a studio camera, and I resent Canon for trying to pretend that it is.

I've been with Canon now for years, having used their EOS film bodies before digital . Time spent with Nikon !DXs confirmed my view that Canon had far superior ergonomics, and five years ago, the Canon EOS1DS Mk III was a game changer. However, since then Canon seems to have lost touch with its professional customers. As a result, last year, I bought a Nikon ( D800E) which I currently run along side my Canon equipment. It is a fine camera. Nikon seems to have priced this camera very competitively indeed, and I gather that it is making large inroads into what should have been the preserve of the 5D3 market.

Now we're told that Canon have no intention of producing a higher MP camera until next year, and given Canon's habit of announcing cameras long before they actually become available, the reality could be some time after that.  By which time the Nikon D4X will be out.   

How frustrating. I want to stay with Canon, but they sure are making it difficult.

So what is wrong with your 1Ds3?  Is it now suddenly not a good camera?  Are your photos now suddenly bad?  If you want super high MP, go medium format.  So what's the problem?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:25:30 AM »
Yesterday, he posted that he had already sold his equipment and is going to Nikon.

This sounds like a troll.

Rogerone

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:39:13 AM »
Yesterday, he posted that he had already sold his equipment and is going to Nikon.

Yesterday, I said that I was running a dual system - both Canon and Nikon - which is what I have said again today. Isn't it possible to have an honest debate on this forum without being accused of being a troll ?   

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »

Yesterday, I said that I was running a dual system - both Canon and Nikon - which is what I have said again today. Isn't it possible to have an honest debate on this forum without being accused of being a troll ?

If it looks like a troll and sounds like one... There is no difference.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:12:21 AM »
Go for Nikon if you want to.  Life is just like that.  You have to accept the good with the bad.  Soon it'll be Canon's turn.  :)

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:44:36 AM »
Ya, this can be a tough crowd, especially if you're new here and the first posts you make can be construed to criticize Canon.

If you can justify using other equipment that works better for you, no need to look for supporting opinions, just use it.

If you have a 1ds3 to work with, unless you wore it out, what exactly was the benefit of the D800e for you?

FWIW, I added Nikon's D800/e and Pentax to my kit, dropped the disappointing Canon bodies.
If Canon doesn't bring out seriously better midrange bodies this year, I'll probably start dumping some of their glass too.  At least it's held it's value or even appreciated above what I paid for it from the pressure of their rather high pricing lately.
Seriously hoping a 7D2 or even 70D (and everything else they make) will have a sensor with greatly reduced pattern noise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:44:36 AM »

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 04:13:38 AM »
There is no way u can tell if a picture was taken with a Canon or Nikon, sorry. The difference is not that huge like Nikon fanboys r telling themselves. Both cameras are good just choose the one that matches ur needs more than the other. Its quite simply actually....

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 04:26:13 AM »
Ya, this can be a tough crowd, especially if you're new here and the first posts you make can be construed to criticize Canon.

If you can justify using other equipment that works better for you, no need to look for supporting opinions, just use it.

If you have a 1ds3 to work with, unless you wore it out, what exactly was the benefit of the D800e for you?

FWIW, I added Nikon's D800/e and Pentax to my kit, dropped the disappointing Canon bodies.
If Canon doesn't bring out seriously better midrange bodies this year, I'll probably start dumping some of their glass too.  At least it's held it's value or even appreciated above what I paid for it from the pressure of their rather high pricing lately.
Seriously hoping a 7D2 or even 70D (and everything else they make) will have a sensor with greatly reduced pattern noise.
Maybe he just felt that yesterday's post didn't bite enough so he gave it another shot today. When it comes to yourself, we are all very aware that you are using Nikon already and that Canon somehow have disappointed you.

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 04:47:06 AM »
I don't get why people get so bitter. Look out there there are great shots taken with all sorts of cameras.

Is your old kit no longer capable of taking good pictures?  Like it used to do? Have you got so good that you are just too good for your kit?

Is your aspiration to take better pictures than anyone can take with the kit you are moaning about?

I have a suggestion. Relax and chill then go take some good pictures. Don't fret about the kit its a tool
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Alrik89

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 05:46:28 AM »
More marketing-victims  :D

@ topic:
typical behaviour: critizising canon, but not able to articulate, what is the real problem with their cameras.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:28:40 AM by Alrik89 »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »
There is no way u can tell if a picture was taken with a Canon or Nikon, sorry. The difference is not that huge like Nikon fanboys r telling themselves. Both cameras are good just choose the one that matches ur needs more than the other. Its quite simply actually....
Says the Canon fanboy with his 1100D! ::) ..What are you even doing in this thread?

But seriously. I'm a happy owner of 5D3, 1DX and 8 L lenses, but even though I am heavily invested into Canon, I admit that Nikon has MUCH better sensor tech these days. I have used my Canon bodies side by side with the D800E, and the difference is like night and day, especially when shooting landscapes and other scenes with high contrast.

The resolution and dynamic range is nothing but amazing.

That said, I do preffer the ergonomics and handeling of Canon. And besides, Nikon has nothing on the Canon's TS-E lenses.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:19:19 AM by Ricku »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »
Says the Canon fanboy with his 1100D! ::) ..What are you even doing in this thread?

But seriously. I'm a happy owner of 5D3, 1DX and 8 L lenses, but even though I am heavily invested into Canon, I admit that Nikon has MUCH better sensor tech these days. I have used my Canon bodies side by side with the D800E, and the difference is like night and day, especially when shooting landscapes and other scenes with high contrast.

The resolution and dynamic range is nothing but amazing.

That said, I do preffer the ergonomics and handeling of Canon. And besides, Nikon has nothing on the Canon's TS-E lenses.

That's a rather unnecessary swipe at someone for shooting with a 1100D.

I bought my daughter one last year and it is a perfectly competent camera. I have seen some stunning images shot on 1000/1100Ds and some pretty mediocre ones from 5Dmk3s.

Perhaps you'd like to tell us which camera these pictures were taken with ? The 100% crop is 100% of the jpeg file, not the RAW.

(Hint: it's a camera you appear to despise )

(and no, the pretty girl in the pictures is not my daughter - she's the one taking the pictures)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:13:14 AM by Sporgon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
I merely suggested that it was strange of a 1100D-user to pretend to have knowledge / experience on the differences between Canon's and Nikon's latest full frame sensors

Why? 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »

The only reason I'm still shooting canon is the prime lens selection is better and AF. That's about it.

Oh and Flash is better on canon now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:52:58 AM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »