September 17, 2014, 04:04:20 PM

Author Topic: Reprimanded for a photograph  (Read 13422 times)

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
Re: Reprimanded for a photograph
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 05:50:50 AM »
There is nothing interesting, new or, if I am very honest, very good about this picture at all.

Anyone that spends a reasonable time in the Middle East, especially some of the more "cosmopolitan" places like Dubai - and I use that term liberally - see such things every day in shopping malls.

Taking a picture of someone's shoes like that is really rather culturally insensitive. It makes me think of those guys that try to get pictures up women's skirts as they go up escalators, or as they are seated. Sure, it is not the same subject matter but, that does not make it right either.
... I was in Dubai recently for 2 days on the way through to Tanzania 2 months ago, my Cameras stayed in the Bag in the Hotel Room...

What a shame... next time be sure to visit old Dubai and Dubai Creek while you're there AND BRING YOUR CAMERA! No problem taking photo's of the surroundings at all ;)

More: http://www.mrsfotografie.nl/reizen/oman-uae-2010/oman-uae-29-dec
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 05:50:50 AM »

Larry

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Your friend's advice was excellent
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
I think you should be very careful of labeling anyone's belief system as "make believe", Christian, Buddist, Catholic, Zao, Islam....with that kind of attitude, one could easily point a finger at you as a bigot.

Could someone point a finger at you as a bigot for describing anyone whose belief system is that some other belief systems are make-believe, as a bigot?

Maybe we need a definition of bigotry.

(Are we having fun yet?) ;)

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »
I'm not muslim, but I have muslim friends and I vaguely remember one of them saying that they don't take pictures. In general, go to their homes, you won't see any family pictures, nothing. It has something to do with what the Qu'ran says... I think one of them told me that it reduces their lifespan by so many years.

Heh, he's joking about the lifespan thing but it's true that Muslims are not permitted pictures (especially drawings) of people or animals. It's actually considered quite a serious transgression. Many Muslims do take photographs but these must not contain people or animals. Plants and inanimate objects are fine, so Muslim photographers are essentially all landscapers.

Some claim that the camera is recording light and the photographer hasn't created anything. Most religious scholars disagree with that interpretation.

Most (all?) of my Muslim acquaintances have lots of pictures of themselves. I can only assume that they're mere 'cultural' Muslims, even if they attend mosque, and deep down know it's all make-believe.

I think you should be very careful of labeling anyone's belief system as "make believe", Christian, Buddist, Catholic, Zao, Islam....with that kind of attitude, one could easily point a finger at you as a bigot.

"...believe it's all make believe" would have been more polite to any Muslims reading but I think it's safe to say they will have all handled my lack of agnosticism about their religion pretty well - they think it about all the others after all (as do Christians, including Catholics, Buddhists and a host of others).

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »

Could someone point a finger at you as a bigot for describing anyone whose belief system is that some other belief systems are make-believe, as a bigot?

Maybe we need a definition of bigotry.

(Are we having fun yet?) ;)

We all have our own beliefs... some are non-existent... but this is definitely not the forum to go into that. 

That's all I'll say...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

DARSON

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
I decided to put few pennies to this discussion as a resident of UAE since few years. Although i do not live in DUBAI but some 130km south in Al Ain at the border with Oman.
This culture is very interesting, different and full of contradictions in compare to western culture.
My post could be very long on explaining even part of it.
First of all I do not know if your host told about rules regarding taking photographs of local women and not only local ( as other nationalities including European and Asian wears Abaya)
I understand that when someone is traveling somewhere he/she wants to have some fantastic memories ( read pics) from vacation and here you are free to take many of them. There is few things to see in UAE. As for photographing people especially women you should be cautious , even when you take photos of the shoes :) (as they might shout on you, spit on you curse you, call police etc.) if you take pics against their will. From my experience this actions can come from older women as young ones they run around very often with 2-3 smartphones taking pics of each other.
Next time when you visit Middle East just ask some expat about the rules when it comes to taking pics
As for Oman people there are very open to tourist and even whole families posing to photographs. It happened to me 
So if you cannot stand UAE's mentality, Oman is the best choice for future photographic travel :)

On other hand you have bunch of photographic contest around the country with great prizes that aim to preserve their culture and no one is banning anyone  just because he took photo of a local woman unless she did not agree to be on a photograph.
Below  is link to big photography contest in UAE
http://www.ephotoc.net/

5D Mark III, 5D mark II, 30D
17-40L, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS IS II L, 70-200mm f4 L, 100L, Tele 1.4III

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »
Taking photos of women in Oman and UAE is a sensitive issue (so I didn't), but the men are a proud people and although protective of their women, will gladly pose for you! Despite being generally apprehensive about people photography myself I took some really great shots. Truly a fantastic destination:

Nice pics! See what happens when you ask nicely :)

You get some very nice posed pictures -- and they are -- and very well done, but posed.  I am certain that is what they want you to see.  Reminds me of the cold war.  For myself I am more interested in candid shots where I can see people going about their normal activities of being human beings -- both good and bad.  For myself I can't see taking the risk of shooting in a culture that puts the photographer personally at risk.  I'll limit myself to countries where I can photograph pretty much anything that is in the public view without the fear of being arrested or worse.  I do not need to support or spend money in such countries until they become safe to do so.  Other photographers may be willing to risk their live to "get the shot" but at my point in life I am no longer willing to do so.  I applaud other photographers that take and publish such photos so that all societies can talk openly about our differences but many societies are not yet ready to do so and I accept that as a fact of current life.  Perhaps some day but probably not in my lifetime.

petach

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
I am very careful about photographing Muslim women....even in the UK.  Not on religious grounds or sensitivity necessarily, but because I don't really want to get into a row in the street.  I like to shoot and move on.  Whitechapel and its close environs have a large Bangladeshi and other Asian population...predominantly Muslim.  The men folk are VERY funny about their ladies being photographed or otherwise interfered with by anyone.  Is it worth it?  I ain't Bruce Gilden!
Live fast....die when it fits your schedule.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »