July 28, 2014, 08:58:50 PM

Author Topic: How to not get beat up when photographing public places?  (Read 28818 times)

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: How to not get beat up when photographing public places?
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:46 PM »
This came out wrong. I would say almost all Americans I've met on my travels are very nice people. Nothing else.

I didn't take it wrong :) I think there are nice people (and not so nice people) in every culture, country,ethnic background, etc. There are a lot of not so nice Americans too (just look at the crime statistics). I've been to Canada...imo, a great country with a great people. 8)

Agreed, and even inside USA there's lot of different areas. I live in Seattle and this region seems really nice. Some travels to certain areas I've met more inconsiderate people than compared to this area. But it's often about the other person's attitude also. If you start the sentence with "You stupid Americans ....", you might get the response you were expecting, and you keep on thinking that way. If you treat people nice, they often act nice back to you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:46 PM »

Bolt

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:14 AM »
This is an interesting thread and I am glad you started it.

In Australia [Where I am from] I am lucky. It is not illegal to take and/or use a persons photograph in a public place regardless of what they ask of you. In relation to lawsuits we are lucky and secure in that regard.

When referring to confrontation from individuals it is always a fun experience. I do a lot of documentary style filming with street sports such as Freerunning. This 'requires' me to enter into places and premises that are not open to the public [Trespassing, my favourite sport]. This has lead to a lot of close calls with everyone from psychotic drugged out women attacking us to security guards and the average Joe who for whatever reason does not enjoy a camera.

Most people are good people, often it is relative to circumstance and environment. If you take a picture of a national icon or landscape from a lookout, people are usually just tourists or travellers and are more than happy with your graphing of photons. Others, not so much. These people are usually by themselves or paranoid [E.G. A mother at a park thinking you are a pedophile. My advice is not to carry around a 800mm f/5.6 near a playground].

The honest and best way to deal with them [other than avoiding them] is to simply apologise, attempt to explain yourself and agree with them. I find this very hard to do [I am far to pretentious] but nonetheless it is the way to go.
Current: Canon 1D X, EF 24-70L F4 IS + Accessories

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2013, 02:25:24 AM »
This is an interesting thread and I am glad you started it.

In Australia [Where I am from] I am lucky....psychotic drugged out women attacking us...

You Australians have all the fun ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

petach

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
Not sure about guys/gals demeanour when they keep on being harassed.  Are their fly's open or something? or knuckle dragging?  Since I started street shooting in 2011....I have been stopped once. A guy came up to me and said "You just take a shot of me"?  I said "Why would I when then is much more interesting material around"?   It deflated him.  But seriously....I cannot understand how people get harassed constantly.  I think maybe look inwards to see what it may be about.... rather than outwards?  I don't mean to be unkind.....but get my drift?

Look at Bruce Gilden and his very aggressive approach.....how many times has he been battered? once...twice maybe.
Live fast....die when it fits your schedule.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »