June 19, 2018, 12:56:34 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 100D Detailed Specs Appear  (Read 81724 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Re: Canon EOS 100D Detailed Specs Appear
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
You can say all the great things you want about the 5DIII, but it's pretty rare anyone calls it innovative, and that doesn't make it a bad DSLR.

Insisting that the 5DIII isn't innovative is most certainly trolling.

At the time of its introduction, it had the best autofocus system of any camera by any manufacturer, period. It's only since been surpassed by the 1Dx.

At the time of its introduction, it had the best high ISO performance of any camera by any manufacturer, period. That, too, has only since been surpassed by the 1Dx.

I don't think there's any other 135-format SLR with a shutter actuation as quiet as the 5DIII when in silent mode.

And it remains, to this day, the unquestioned leader for an all-around can-do-anything camera. Sure, it's not the best action camera, but it's better than the previous round of action cameras. It's the best photojournalism / wedding / event camera, no doubt. It's not the best landscape or studio camera, but it's still better than the previous round of landscape and studio cameras in that format -- and, besides, landscape and studio are much better served by medium format than 135 format. And so on.

Claiming that the camera that broke new ground in autofocus and ISO performance and which represents the best-balanced camera ever made isn't innovative?

Yeah, that's a troll.

Cheers,

b&

Perhaps you two have a different idea of what innovative means?

Myself, I would not say that the 5D3 is innovative, but I would say that it has several good solid improvements over the 5D2. The 5D2 was considered by many to be the best all-round camera, then the 5D3 came out and now it holds that distinction. There is nothing about it that is new, or innovative, or revolutionary.... just a lot of growth from the models that have gone before..... no new technology, no new features, just incremental growth.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »

CanoSony

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »

Could you demonstrate where the DR of a canon camera has limited you in real world shooting?

Any shooting situations where blown highlights and clipped shadows appear, Nikon and Sony handle better at brining that back in line.

Definition of DEMONSTRATE

transitive verb
: to show clearly <demonstrate a willingness to cooperate>
a : to prove or make clear by reasoning or evidence
b : to illustrate and explain especially with many examples <demonstrate a procedure> Let's use this one.

Please show us some photos where the DR of a canon camera limited your creativity in real world shooting.

Photos indoors beside windows or under shade with a single shot. Nothing will limit creativity but using the better tool for the job will always be the choice. Canon falls behind in dynamic range.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »

Could you demonstrate where the DR of a canon camera has limited you in real world shooting?

Any shooting situations where blown highlights and clipped shadows appear, Nikon and Sony handle better at brining that back in line.

transitive verb
b : to illustrate and explain especially with many examples <demonstrate a procedure> Let's use this one.

Please show us some photos where the DR of a canon camera limited your creativity in real world shooting.

Photos indoors beside windows or under shade with a single shot. Nothing will limit creativity but using the better tool for the job will always be the choice. Canon falls behind in dynamic range.

Big talk and no photos = Worthless opinion.

CanoSony

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

transitive verb

Its fun to see you so worked up when theres plenty of evidence of DR superiority and IQ of Nikon Sony. Sorry I dont spend all day on my computer. Im on my phone.

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »

transitive verb

Its fun to see you so worked up when theres plenty of evidence of DR superiority and IQ of Nikon Sony. Sorry I dont spend all day on my computer. Im on my phone.

Nah, Just trolling the troll. DR is irrelevant if you don't take pictures.  ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
Let me explain.  No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

There is a horse named Dynamic Range.  It is dead.  Please stop beating the dead horse.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »
OK, at the time of it's introduction the D800 had already been announced. The D800 was announced Feb 7th, 2012, the 5DIII March 2nd. The 1DX was announced on Oct 18, 2011 and released in March. So, it was never actually surpassed by the 1DX, it never was as good. I'm not slamming the 5DIII AF, as it is awesome, i'm just showing that your facts aren't facts at all.

Physician, kettle, mote, etc.

I and thousands others had thousands of exposures on our 5DIIIs long before you could even officially pre-order a 1Dx. And the D800 is many wonderful things, but it only surpasses the 5DIII in megapickle count and dynamic range -- its autofocus is far shy of the 5DIII's -- as are almost all of its other features. That you should suggest it's got better autofocus than the 5DIII...and then start whipping the dead dynamic range horse and claiming the D800 has better high ISO performance....

...yeah. Troll.

Even if you're not intentionally trolling, which I rather doubt by now, you're still trolling.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »

EchoLocation

• EOS 80D
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2013, 09:30:34 PM »
OK, at the time of it's introduction the D800 had already been announced. The D800 was announced Feb 7th, 2012, the 5DIII March 2nd. The 1DX was announced on Oct 18, 2011 and released in March. So, it was never actually surpassed by the 1DX, it never was as good. I'm not slamming the 5DIII AF, as it is awesome, i'm just showing that your facts aren't facts at all.

I and thousands others had thousands of exposures on our 5DIIIs long before you could even officially pre-order a 1Dx. And the D800 is many wonderful things, but it only surpasses the 5DIII in megapickle count and dynamic range -- its autofocus is far shy of the 5DIII's -- as are almost all of its other features. That you should suggest it's got better autofocus than the 5DIII...and then start whipping the dead dynamic range horse and claiming the D800 has better high ISO performance....

...yeah. Troll.

Even if you're not intentionally trolling, which I rather doubt by now, you're still trolling.

Cheers,

b&
Neuro, are you ready to stop standing on the sidelines while people argue against my FACTS with their OPINIONS. I have been killed on this board for using my opinion to make arguments many times. I presented factual numbers from DXOMARK. I explained that I don't think they are the best numbers, but they are at least numbers by a lab. What have you used for your argument, 100% opinion.
The D800 was measured as having better high ISO performance than the 5DIII.
I'm not saying it's a better camera, i'm simply saying that YOU ARE USING OPINION.
DO YOU HAVE ANY FACTS TO SHOW THAT THE 5DIII has better HIGH ISO performance?
Are you even reading my posts? I never said the D800 has better AF. I said the 1DX has better AF and that it was announced before the 5DIII. Whether it was available or not at the time, there was never any doubt in my mind that the AF of the 1DX would be superior.
You guys just spent a page killing our newcomer for not agreeing with you, all the while you have ignored that I presented numbers showing the D800 has better high ISO performance. I never mentioned DR in any earlier posts as I agree it is has been overblown(pardon the pun), however I don't discount it's importance. It's obviously better to have good DR than not to.
How did you rebuke the high ISO dxomark scores? by yeling, "Troll" "Troll" "troll"
TrumpetPower, please show me numbers, not opinions, but factual evidence from anywhere showing that the 5DIII is better at high ISO? I'm curious to see why you are so positive that the 5DIII is better.

As I said in earlier posts, I don't really care all that much for DXOMark, but I don't know where else to turn for lab measured numbers on cameras.
Also, people on this board can bash DXOmark scores all they want, but when Admin posted this thread with false 1DX scores, people were thrilled to gloat about the superior scores of the 1DX.... until they found out the numbers were false, when they went back to hating DXO. lol!  http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10075.0
You can disagree with me all you want, it's fine. But please don't call me a troll when i'm at least trying to give evidence. All you have given us is your opinion.
Once again, please show me where any 3rd party has definitively said the 5DIII has better high ISO.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »

...yeah. Troll.

Cheers,

b&
Neuro, are you ready to stop standing on the sidelines while people argue against my FACTS with their OPINIONS. I have been killed on this board for using my opinion to make arguments many times. I presented factual numbers from DXOMARK. I explained that I don't think they are the best numbers, but they are at least numbers by a lab. What have you used for your argument, 100% opinion.
I'm not saying it's a better camera, i'm simply saying that YOU ARE USING OPINION.
Are you even reading my posts? I never said the D800 has better AF. I said the 1DX has better AF and that it was announced before the 5DIII. Whether it was available or not at the time, there was never any doubt in my mind that the AF of the 1DX would be superior.
You guys just spent a page killing our newcomer for not agreeing with you, all the while you have ignored that I presented numbers showing the D800 has better high ISO performance. I never mentioned DR in any earlier posts as I agree it is has been overblown(pardon the pun), however I don't discount it's importance. It's obviously better to have good DR than not to.
How did you rebuke the high ISO dxomark scores? by yeling, "Troll" "Troll" "troll"
TrumpetPower, please show me numbers, not opinions, but factual evidence from anywhere showing that the 5DIII is better at high ISO? I'm curious to see why you are so positive that the 5DIII is better.

As I said in earlier posts, I don't really care all that much for DXOMark, but I don't know where else to turn for lab measured numbers on cameras.
Also, people on this board can bash DXOmark scores all they want, but when Admin posted this thread with false 1DX scores, people were thrilled to gloat about the superior scores of the 1DX.... until they found out the numbers were false, when they went back to hating DXO. lol!  http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10075.0
You can disagree with me all you want, it's fine. But please don't call me a troll when i'm at least trying to give evidence. All you have given us is your opinion.
Once again, please show me where any 3rd party has definitively said the 5DIII has better high ISO.
What are you trying to achieve?

EchoLocation

• EOS 80D
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2013, 09:57:58 PM »

...yeah. Troll.

Cheers,

b&

To show that my opinions based on facts are being lambasted by simple opinions with no facts?
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
Neuro, are you ready to stop standing on the sidelines

Like I said, the horse is dead. Dead, and beaten so extensively no one can tell where the horse ends and the dirt begins.  You won't convince anyone, nor will I, and we won't be convinced. Where does that leave us?  Well...I don't know where it leaves you, but I've got better things to do than drag that poor, pathetic equine carcass from thread to thread for another useless beating. I ran my bat through the wood chipper.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »

<sigh />

Here's the very top Google hit:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III/Canon_5D3_vs_Nikon_D800_noise.shtml

To my eye, the Nikon ISO 3200 shot has about as much noise as the Canon ISO 25,600 shot. I wouldn't use ISO 6400 for serious stuff on the Nikon, but I don't think much about going to 12,800 on the Canon.

Yes, yes. The Nikon has more megapickles and thus more resolution and thus can resolve finer details. We know that. And we also know that the Nikon has more dynamic range, so you can better recover a badly underexposed image with a Nikon than with a Canon. We don't care. Those who do care, if they have any brains at all, have already bought a D800.

All that's at most only tangentially related to high ISO performance, which is the subject you're mysteriously pig-headedly tilting at windmills about...and, frankly, there the Canon blows the Nikon out of the water.

And, yes. The D800 is a wonderful camera, a great camera to consider if you're looking for something to bridge the gap between 135 and medium format, especially for studio and landscape and other low ISO work.

But we really don't need yet more Nikonistas telling us how, like, totally awesomes it is, thankyouverymuch. We know, we're happy for you, and we really don't care much beyond that.

It would be rude of us to keep boasting about the 5DIII's autofocus performance and high ISO performance and silent shutter and what-not over on a Nikon forum. I don't know if others do that; I don't visit Nikon forums. I hope they don't. But it's just as equally rude for Nikonistas to brag about the D800's megapickles and DR, and, frankly, we're generally sick of it over here in Canon land.

Cheers,

b&

CanoSony

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »

...yeah. Troll.

Cheers,

b&

To show that my opinions based on facts are being lambasted by simple opinions with no facts?

DR comparison ;)

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »
DR comparison ;)

Sorry, Neuro, but you're worng on this one. Dead worng.

The horse is dead, yes, but not beaten into the dust. Far from it. It's very much intact, and it wants braaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnssssss.

Incidentally, it's fascinating how many times I see people link to Fred's page without also noting his conclusion:

As you can see from my samples, I mostly stuck with the Canon Mark III on this trip. Mainly because of the difficulty I faced with Nikon D800's poor LCD Live View performance in low light. For my photography needs, this was the Achilles' heel of an otherwise superb camera. But, if you don't rely on live view, then this will never be an issue for you. Aside from that, my only other desire would be for Nikon to release an ultra wide-angle tilt and shift lens and upgrade the current PC-E lenses so that the shift and tilt could be rotated independently.

And that, incidentally, perfectly matches up with why most people who prefer Canon to Nikon do so. Sure, the Nikon camera has a marginally better sensor that can be used as a not-miserable digital fill flash or to recover badly underexposed pictures. But the Canon is a better camera and the lenses are far superior.

If all you care about is the sensor, then the Nikon's for you. But if the sensor is just one small piece of the puzzle, you'll find that the Canon sensor is just fine, thankyouverymuch, and much better in low light, askshually, and everything not related to the sensor is better with the Canon.

Cheers,

b&

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »

...yeah. Troll.

Cheers,

b&

DR comparison ;)

How's those photos coming along?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »