December 20, 2014, 04:01:53 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 100D Detailed Specs Appear  (Read 34657 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 100D Detailed Specs Appear
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
If I wanted a body this small I'd invest in a m4/3 mirrorless system instead.  When I think of wanting something more compact, I think of both the body AND the lenses.  A super small body will be really unbalanced when you add larger lenses to it, even EF-S.  Pricing is kind of out there too.  Meh.
Yes one could invest in m4/3 mirrorless system but that'd mean buying new lenses too ... but with a smaller sized APS-C camera I can use my existing 40mm, 50mm & 85mm lenses ... add the new 24 or 28mm IS lenses to that and its a awesome combo in a small package, giving much better results than any m4/3 camera could. As a bonus one can add all of the existing EF-S & EF lenses without having to invest new system and lenses (not to mention getting used to the new system, whereas I am already familiar with the Canon cameras ... personally I see great potential for this product and if it can deliver what a 650D can, I'm buying it).
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »
If its Film rebel 2000 size and still an SLR, I see no reason to buy mirror-less.

tapanit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »
"Lens Features: EF-S 18 – 55mm f/3.5 – 5.6 IS zoom lens"

"Lens Focal Length(s) 35mm equivalent 18 – 55mm (with included lens)"

If those are correct, it's a full-frame body.
Somehow I don't really think so, but if it were...

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

EF-S not compatible with full frame. Definitely not full frame. That would be crazy.

yakapo

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

Newbie here...    I've got a T4i and I wouldn't mind having a smaller body.  I like the Sony nex6 but it would be too much to replace my 30mm 1.4 and my speedlite. 

I guess the real question is, what am I losing by giving up my t4i for this?     

ECRoyce

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
To everyone pooh-poohing the reuse of the same/tweaked form sensor, what are you really complaining about?  I only became aware of a new 'small Rebel' a couple weeks ago, and wasn't anticipating anything earth shattering.

Were you honestly THAT excited over a small form camera, that you expected a new sensor, and more importantly... were you going to buy it until you saw it was only 18MP?  At what point would you have been satisfied (brand new 14MP/16/20/24MP), and if once satisfied with the specs, would you be buying it?  If the last answer is ultimately no, which I suspect to be the case for most, then why do you care?

In my opinion, this is a great use of using 'hand-me-down' technology in a business sense, extending the earning power of already existing technology, and is something I expected.  Remember this effectively replaces the 12MP sensor of the T3/1100D.  If you already have proven successful technology, you are foolish to not exploit every last drop out of it.

The timing of this 'surprise' new body is also good.  Ahead of them introducing long anticipated advanced-entry and other niche level bodies (700D/70D/7D2), why is this a bad thing?  It means in all likelihood, we are going to see at least 1, maybe 2 if we're lucky, new sensor(s) being introduced to replace what would appear to be a now vacant position in the technology battle. 

Also, since everyone knows simply throwing megapixels alone doesn't accomplish much, please ask yourself what would have really made you happy.  Maybe we should all wait a couple more days for more news and announcements, and if not then maybe in a month or two.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »

EF-S not compatible with full frame. Definitely not full frame. That would be crazy.

The mount is the same for EF and EF-S..... the problem is mirror clearance on the existing EF bodies. The larger mirror required for FF takes more space to swing up than the APS-C sized mirror. If you think outside the box and change the geometry somehow... or even a split mirror!!!... you could overcome that obstacle and fit a FF sensor in. Yes, when using an EF-S lens you would have to crop it to the central 60 percent or so of the image, but it could be done.

SOME EF-S lenses can be used on FF bodies, such as the Sigma 10-20 on a 5D2. It's not an impossible thing, but I doubt Canon is ready for FF compact cameras yet.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »

Sjekster

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »
SOME EF-S lenses can be used on FF bodies, such as the Sigma 10-20 on a 5D2. It's not an impossible thing, but I doubt Canon is ready for FF compact cameras yet.
As far as I know, Sigma doesn't make EF-S lenses, only canon does. Sure, you'd have problem with heavy vignetting etc on 3rd party lenses made specifically for crop lenses, but they can all be physically used on full frame cameras.

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
The mount is the same for EF and EF-S..... the problem is mirror clearance on the existing EF bodies. The larger mirror required for FF takes more space to swing up than the APS-C sized mirror. If you think outside the box and change the geometry somehow... or even a split mirror!!!... you could overcome that obstacle and fit a FF sensor in. Yes, when using an EF-S lens you would have to crop it to the central 60 percent or so of the image, but it could be done.

Canon EF-S lenses have an extra rubber part that pokes out of the rear of the lens, preventing them from mounting on EF mount bodies. Only cameras with an EF-S mount (crop sensor cameras from the 300D onwards) have the cut out to allow such lenses to physically mount.

Some people have removed it from the 10-22 to use it at longer focal lengths on APS-H bodies: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157604422834954/

I'm not aware of anyone other than Canon that makes EF-S mount lenses, and such third party crop lenses might have clearance for a full frame mirror, even if the image circle is too small.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

Portos

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
Bestby still has this EOS-B camera in the system:

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »
As far as I know, Sigma doesn't make EF-S lenses, only canon does. Sure, you'd have problem with heavy vignetting etc on 3rd party lenses made specifically for crop lenses, but they can all be physically used on full frame cameras.

That's nitpicking....

Only Canon makes EF and EF-S lenses.
Only Sigma makes DG and DC lenses
Only Tamron makes D and DI lenses

Perhaps I should have said "EF-S compatable"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:19:34 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
I'm an ultra runner (marathons, 50k's, and am working on my first 50 miler) and often bring along a camera during my training runs. I've used the Powershot S95 and G12 because of their smaller sizes, but have recently brought along a T4i for better image quality. As you can imagine, size matters when trail running for hours at a time, so if Canon releases a smaller DSLR with comparable image quality, I'd get it in an instant. Every little bit helps.

It's funny that people pooh-pooh cameras based on specs alone. The thinking is that if a camera appears compromised, then it is "pointless", as one person commented. One size does not fit all, both literally and figuratively...
Well said ... I totally agree.

yeah sort of IF it was reasonably priced....
but I've not seen and pics of it has anyone got any so we can see the physical size?
based on the weight its not a big saving vs a rebel
however the T3i is a bargain now where as this has a big premium over the top

at this end of the market cost is a much bigger factor than say the 5Dmk3 and look at the carry on and snivelling THAT caused and for that matter still causes to some extent.

This new mini-EOS is some 25 to 30% more than a T3i with an even bigger gap if you consider what a refurb T3i can be had for yet offers zero performance over the older rebel other than it's smaller size which based on weight is not much of a saving.

personally i quite like my EOS-M if i want something small its 22mm lens is great hell even the 18-55 kit lens leaves the EF-S 18-55 in its dust (i know thats not much of an achievement) and i've just started playing around with it and the samyang 8mm fish eye which is quite a cool little combo, oh and the magic lantern alpha have been running great on it. focus peaking, intervalometer improved bracketing soooo many great features. Magic lantern saves the EOS-M for sure. Its AF  is still crappy slow with the shutter button but in all honestly the touch to shoot function is fast enough for most stuff and its automatic face tracking works suprisingly well and improves this speed too.
APS-H Fanboy

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »
An 18 MP APS-C sensor.  I'm shocked, really shocked. I didn't even know Canon had an 18 MP APS-C sensor, and yet here it is. Wow. Just...wow.

::)

expected no new line sensor is ready now (we can only hope we don't also say that late 2013 or 2014 though too ;) ) and they want to milk this line and this the model to do it

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2013, 11:45:36 PM »
if this was ff with the 5DIII AF i'd preorder for 2500 bucks. As it is, i have zero interest at all unless it is around 300 dollars.
Why does small have to mean lame specs?
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:24 AM »
To everyone pooh-poohing the reuse of the same/tweaked form sensor, what are you really complaining about?  I only became aware of a new 'small Rebel' a couple weeks ago, and wasn't anticipating anything earth shattering.

Were you honestly THAT excited over a small form camera, that you expected a new sensor, and more importantly... were you going to buy it until you saw it was only 18MP?  At what point would you have been satisfied (brand new 14MP/16/20/24MP), and if once satisfied with the specs, would you be buying it?  If the last answer is ultimately no, which I suspect to be the case for most, then why do you care?

In my opinion, this is a great use of using 'hand-me-down' technology in a business sense, extending the earning power of already existing technology, and is something I expected.  Remember this effectively replaces the 12MP sensor of the T3/1100D.  If you already have proven successful technology, you are foolish to not exploit every last drop out of it.

The timing of this 'surprise' new body is also good.  Ahead of them introducing long anticipated advanced-entry and other niche level bodies (700D/70D/7D2), why is this a bad thing?  It means in all likelihood, we are going to see at least 1, maybe 2 if we're lucky, new sensor(s) being introduced to replace what would appear to be a now vacant position in the technology battle. 

Also, since everyone knows simply throwing megapixels alone doesn't accomplish much, please ask yourself what would have really made you happy.  Maybe we should all wait a couple more days for more news and announcements, and if not then maybe in a month or two.
while i dont disagree with any of that you must have missed the price...
 ???
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:24 AM »