September 21, 2014, 04:15:53 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 100D Detailed Specs Appear  (Read 31467 times)

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 100D Detailed Specs Appear
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »

Newbie here...    I've got a T4i and I wouldn't mind having a smaller body.  I like the Sony nex6 but it would be too much to replace my 30mm 1.4 and my speedlite. 

I guess the real question is, what am I losing by giving up my t4i for this?   

The NEX system has a fantastic Sigma 30mm f2.8 for about $150 that is really highly rated. Also the system has several electronic adapters for about $210 so you wont have to get rid of your canon lenses. I have a NEX 5R and it is my main take along camera. You wont be losing anything, you gain 10fps, contrast and phase detect AF, lighter smaller body and electronic viewfinder. Look also into the NEX 7 if you want excellent controls and magnesium body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »

Malte_P

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »

Newbie here...    I've got a T4i and I wouldn't mind having a smaller body.  I like the Sony nex6 but it would be too much to replace my 30mm 1.4 and my speedlite. 

The NEX system has a fantastic Sigma 30mm f2.8 for about $150 that is really highly rated. Also the system has several electronic adapters for about $210 so you wont have to get rid of your canon lenses. I have a NEX 5R and it is my main take along camera. You wont be losing anything, you gain 10fps, contrast and phase detect AF, lighter smaller body and electronic viewfinder. Look also into the NEX 7 if you want excellent controls and magnesium body.

great first post fanboy.  ;)

NEX... urgs.
i sure give up the great canon lenses for the sony system.  lol

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »

great first post fanboy.  ;)

NEX... urgs.
i sure give up the great canon lenses for the sony system.  lol

Hardly.

I have 4 canon dslr bodies and a set of L lenses to go with them. The NEX system has Zeiss lenses just for their system which are excellent in IQ. The 16MP sensor in the nex 6 is excellent, AND you get AF all the time.

Canon is way behind Nikon and Sony as far as IQ and innovative products.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:58:55 AM by CanoSony »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »

I have 4 canon dslr bodies and a set of L lenses to go with them. The NEX system has Zeiss lenses just for their system which are excellent in IQ. The 16MP sensor in the nex 6 is excellent, AND you get AF all the time.

Are you sure you got that right ... You mean you have 4 DSLR canon bodies and L lenses and they have poor IQ as compared to Nikons and Sony?

Troll post if ever I saw one!
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »

Are you sure you got that right ... You mean you have 4 DSLR canon bodies and L lenses and they have poor IQ as compared to Nikons and Sony?

In terms of IQ, I don't think there is much difference among the top tier DSLR gear, but in terms of the entry level cameras, I think Canon is definitely getting a little long in the tooth, especially when comparing the 18mp APS-C Canon sensor with other entry level DSLR's. This should hopefully change this year when Canon refreshes the 60D and 7D.
In terms of innovative, outside of lenses, i'd be curious which Canon bodies you'd describe as innovative...?
the EOS-M is just another APS-C mirrorless, nothing too crazy compared to anything else on the market, although a nice option for people with tons of Canon glass. I haven't heard anyone say it has brought anything new or exciting to the mirrorless market.
The 5DIII is just more or less a refreshed D700 with double the MP's.... which is awesome, but not exactly innovative....
In terms of innovative in DSLR world i'd say the only ones I can think of are the A99(which I would never buy) and the D800E(also not interested.)
In terms of small form factor, I think the most innovative cameras are the NEX series and the RX1/RX100, along with the Fujis.
I'm sure i'm missing a few from other brands, but at least over the last 4 years, Canon has been anything but innovative in terms of bodies.
CanoSony, it's a tough crowd here sometimes if you're not an ultra Canon fanboy 24/7,
Welcome to the forum, it' always good to see new opinions around here.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:16 AM »
The 5DIII is just more or less a refreshed D700 with double the MP's.... which is awesome, but not exactly innovative....

Yawn. Trolling troll is trollish.

And completely overlooks the 1Dx, the Great Whites, the TS-Es, the 24-70 II and 70-200 II, the MP-E 65....

Look. Nikon makes some awesome camera gear. Yea verily, indubitably so. Why can't all y'all accept that without having to tear down the competition, who also makes some awesome camera gear?

Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. And where the one trumps the other this year, their places will as likely as not reverse next year. The wise photographer either picks the one whose gestalt is a better fit for her needs, or picks the one that has something today that tips the scales -- and then doesn't waste any more brain cycles on the matter, unless and until the photographer's needs change.

Even then, should the photographer's needs change in a way that merits consideration of changing brands (in either direction), chances are excellent that a different format (typically medium format, though sometimes M43) altogether will be an even better fit than the competition.

Cheers,

b&

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

Yawn. Trolling troll is trollish.

And completely overlooks the 1Dx, the Great Whites, the TS-Es, the 24-70 II and 70-200 II, the MP-E 65....
How is this trolling?
first of all, I did mention that Canon has innovative lenses.
second of all, I did mention that "among top tier DSLR gear there isn't much difference", this was meant to say that the 1DX and D4 are fairly equal, and anyone would be hard pressed to say one is significantly better than the other.
Third, 24-70II is great, but its 600 dollars more than I paid for my Nikon 24-70, and i've never heard anyone say they want to trade the Nikon for the Canon(nor have I heard vice versa.) I think they're both great.
fourth, saying the 5DIII is an updated D700 with double the MP's isn't a bad thing. The 5DIII is the camera most Nikon fans were hoping to replace the D700. It's a great camera, and I seriously considered buying it, but ultimately it was just a little too expensive for my needs, especially along with the Canon 24-70 II.
You can say all the great things you want about the 5DIII, but it's pretty rare anyone calls it innovative, and that doesn't make it a bad DSLR.
Is it bad that the RX1 with interchangeable lenses is my dream camera? Whichever company makes this for a reasonable price(ie comparable to 5DIIIish) will instantly attract me as a huge fanboy. I'm not a Nikon Troll, Sony Troll, anything, i'm just a camera fan who happens to own both Canon and Nikon DSLR's and is very tempted to buy an RX1.
I'm not tempted to buy this camera at all. But I would have been if it was FF with similar to 5DIII specs for 3000 bucks, which would definitely have been innovative. This camera just sounds like an upgraded XTi. It's good if you don't have a DSLR or just like new toys... but I wouldn't buy this when I already own a 550D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »

Yeah Im sure I have it right. I have 5d, 7d, 5d2 and 1dsm
Nikon d800 blows away canon in terms of iq and Sony has been much better at new products and innovations.

Ive been with canon for a decade now and a cps member also. Just very disappointed in their cameras lately. I will not buy Nikon because d800 is too big for my hands.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »

How is this trolling?

Whenever you mention some negative fact about Canon that is so obvious and objective that it can't be disputed, then expect to be called a troll. If you even articulate your opinion in a clear and rational way, then it's all the worse.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
You can say all the great things you want about the 5DIII, but it's pretty rare anyone calls it innovative, and that doesn't make it a bad DSLR.

Insisting that the 5DIII isn't innovative is most certainly trolling.

At the time of its introduction, it had the best autofocus system of any camera by any manufacturer, period. It's only since been surpassed by the 1Dx.

At the time of its introduction, it had the best high ISO performance of any camera by any manufacturer, period. That, too, has only since been surpassed by the 1Dx.

I don't think there's any other 135-format SLR with a shutter actuation as quiet as the 5DIII when in silent mode.

And it remains, to this day, the unquestioned leader for an all-around can-do-anything camera. Sure, it's not the best action camera, but it's better than the previous round of action cameras. It's the best photojournalism / wedding / event camera, no doubt. It's not the best landscape or studio camera, but it's still better than the previous round of landscape and studio cameras in that format -- and, besides, landscape and studio are much better served by medium format than 135 format. And so on.

Claiming that the camera that broke new ground in autofocus and ISO performance and which represents the best-balanced camera ever made isn't innovative?

Yeah, that's a troll.

Cheers,

b&

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »

Nikon d800 blows away canon in terms of iq and Sony has been much better at new products and innovations.

Ive been with canon for a decade now and a cps member also. Just very disappointed in their cameras lately. I will not buy Nikon because d800 is too big for my hands.

May I ask, has the canon system ever held back your creativity? If so, in what area's? I'd be hard pressed to find something I can solidly say that canon equipment has held me back.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »

Insisting that the 5DIII isn't innovative is most certainly trolling.

At the time of its introduction, it had the best autofocus system of any camera by any manufacturer, period. It's only since been surpassed by the 1Dx.

At the time of its introduction, it had the best high ISO performance of any camera by any manufacturer, period. That, too, has only since been surpassed by the 1Dx.
OK, at the time of it's introduction the D800 had already been announced. The D800 was announced Feb 7th, 2012, the 5DIII March 2nd. The 1DX was announced on Oct 18, 2011 and released in March. So, it was never actually surpassed by the 1DX, it never was as good. I'm not slamming the 5DIII AF, as it is awesome, i'm just showing that your facts aren't facts at all. Additionally, I have never heard anyone say that the 5DIII has the best AF of any camera on the market. The 1DX and D4 should be better(i haven't used them outside of a showroom.)
Additionally, The 5DIII has worse high ISO performance than the D800 according to DXOmark. It's ISO rating is 2293 while the D800 is 2853. I'm not a DXO mark fan, but I don't know where else to turn for objective high ISO numbers.
Nothing you stated is a fact.

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »

May I ask, has the canon system ever held back your creativity? If so, in what area's? I'd be hard pressed to find something I can solidly say that canon equipment has held me back.

Color depth and dynamic range are much greater on the Nikon and Sony cameras. I cannot push my RAW files as much as i want.

Anyone can shoot any camera and get similar results. Just some cameras do it better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »

Color depth and dynamic range are much greater on the Nikon and Sony cameras. I cannot push my RAW files as much as i want.

Anyone can shoot any camera and get similar results. Just some cameras do it better.

Could you demonstrate where the DR of a canon camera has limited you in real world shooting?

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:55 PM »

Could you demonstrate where the DR of a canon camera has limited you in real world shooting?

Any shooting situations where blown highlights and clipped shadows appear, Nikon and Sony handle better at brining that back in line.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:55 PM »