September 20, 2014, 02:10:39 AM

Author Topic: Anyone using UDMA7 cards in 1DsMk3? ...and they work?  (Read 1350 times)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Anyone using UDMA7 cards in 1DsMk3? ...and they work?
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »
I have recently started using a 1DsMk3. I don't know the manufacture date. I had problems with a Lexar64Gig UDMA7 card. Amazon is sending a new one. But I suddenly wondered if the brand-new standard was not compatible with the older firmware, motherboard, etc.

So to be sure I am asking if 1DsMk3 users have good experience with UDMA 7 cards.

jonathan7007

canon rumors FORUM

Anyone using UDMA7 cards in 1DsMk3? ...and they work?
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »

WillThompson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using UDMA7 cards in 1DsMk3? ...and they work?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:38:50 AM »
I just shot my 1DIII with a 32GB 1000X UDMA7 Lexar so most likely not a problem.  I may have already shot with the 1DsIII but can not be sure.

Will T. 
Will T.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
OK-- I figured that I'd have noticed 1DsMk3 owners at Canon's gates with pitchforks and torches if these cards were not working with the bus or other incompatibility.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »
They are backward compatible, but do not run at UDMA 7 Speeds, so you do not get the speed you paid for. 

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
Mt. Spokane,
Thanks. I assume you mean that the older (2007) camera's bus is limited. I wonder if I get *any* camera benefit from the speed other than the faster download in my Lexar card reader, for which they provided a firmware update (from UDMA6).

But other messages among the participants have me wondering if this card (I have my replacement unit from Amazon) is actually a counterfeit. I plan to call Lexar and ask how to tell. The packaging, in retrospect, seemed dodgy. I have kept the packaging to work with Amazon and Lexar to resolve this.

My worries about the original CF unit (same model of "Lexar" 400x 64Gig came from Error 30 messages during a long real estate shoot with lots of LiveView requirements. First freaked out and blamed the camera, worked with a Canon tech and we began to suspect the card, and there have been NO error issues since, with some LiveView use during AFMA testing.

So, the investigation continues.

jonathan7007

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
Mt. Spokane,
Thanks. I assume you mean that the older (2007) camera's bus is limited. I wonder if I get *any* camera benefit from the speed other than the faster download in my Lexar card reader, for which they provided a firmware update (from UDMA6).

But other messages among the participants have me wondering if this card (I have my replacement unit from Amazon) is actually a counterfeit. I plan to call Lexar and ask how to tell. The packaging, in retrospect, seemed dodgy. I have kept the packaging to work with Amazon and Lexar to resolve this.

My worries about the original CF unit (same model of "Lexar" 400x 64Gig came from Error 30 messages during a long real estate shoot with lots of LiveView requirements. First freaked out and blamed the camera, worked with a Canon tech and we began to suspect the card, and there have been NO error issues since, with some LiveView use during AFMA testing.

So, the investigation continues.

jonathan7007
Amazon sells authentic cards, but it is also a selling platform for third party suppliers.  If you bought it "sold by Amazon", don't worry, but if its from a no name third party seller with a lower price, their might be a issue.
If its not too late, return it and buy directly from Amazon, or from a Camera store like B&H, Adorama, Norman Camera, Onecall, and a host of other good sellers.  Keep away from bargain sellers, only a few are good (Buydig is good) .
Many of the third party sellers on Amazon likely do not know if their merchandise is authentic, they buy it from a wholesaler in China for a very low price and the dealer tells them its authentic  ;)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »
I checked my order and my memory was right: ordered and fulfilled from Amazon. I had an interesting discussion with Lexar, too. The long number etched lightly on the end was not traceable by Lexar. They said that oral descriptions over the phone can't prove much but that they are willing to test cards in their labs. The Lexar tech said, though, that the gold color was usually off on counterfeits.

So something was wrong with the first example I had and Amazon didn't miss a beat when I asked to return it; they sent another before I got my bad copy back to them. So far my new one seems OK... have to shoot more with it before It goes to a shoot for $$.

That bad card seems to have made my 1Ds body throw camera shutter errors so I have to watch all the components carefully for a while.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »