April 16, 2014, 03:16:49 AM

Author Topic: Colour help...please!  (Read 1550 times)

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Colour help...please!
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »
So, this might be me being stupid, and may be in the wrong part of the site (didn't know where to put it)
I've recently gone up to the 5dMkIII but had the same issues with the 7D and the 450D.
I can't get the colour the way that is pleasing to me. I love shooting black and white, and the more contrast, the better. I also like punchy colours, but can never get skin tones to look just right to me. I know the trick about lifting red, orange and yellow luminance to stop it crunching the skin tones while bumping contrast.

Attached are two versions of the same image, this is the most to my liking I can get the colour. I almost like the black and white, apart from some composition things.

Can anyone help me here please? I can see other people's work where the skin tones appear perfect. Do I need a better diffuser? Or is the image fine?
Many thanks for any replies
Elliot

canon rumors FORUM

Colour help...please!
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: Colour help...please!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:56:53 PM »
Skin tones seem alright to me on the 2nd pic.

What tool(s) are you using? LR4? Have you calibrated your monitor, and when you export are you exporting to sRGB?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
I'm using LR4, sRGB all through my workflow and a calibrated P-iPS monitor in a 5500k environment. I think there's too much red in the skin tone... maybe a tiny bit of selective desaturation would help...and a crop

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
It looks pretty heavily saturated.  rather than increasing saturation, back it off and use the vibrance control.  vibrance increases saturation but not for skin tones.

You could selectively work on the reds as well.

Also try some of the camera calibration profiles.  Camera Neutral will desaturate the skin tones.

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
I do work on the reds and use the vibrancy instead of saturation-i'll try the neutral, thanks

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:20:11 PM »
For those concerned about accurate colours, I would recommend taking a look at the the Colorchecker Passport from X-Rite. Not cheap but the difference in all the colours is surprising.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:16:41 AM »
Nothing comes for free. Just keep trying and you'll get the color you want with experience  :)
Why did you do her so neutral? If she's under sunlight, shouldn't there be sunlight cast? (Think about it)  ;)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:16:41 AM »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:43:23 AM »
Using the Color Checker is a bit of a scientific approach. Can be surprising.
At the end you have to feel comcortable with the result.
The first coloured version look ok for me, because it is sunny.

Trevor

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Smeaton | Photographer | Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 06:05:15 AM »
So, this might be me being stupid, and may be in the wrong part of the site (didn't know where to put it)
I've recently gone up to the 5dMkIII but had the same issues with the 7D and the 450D.
I can't get the colour the way that is pleasing to me. I love shooting black and white, and the more contrast, the better. I also like punchy colours, but can never get skin tones to look just right to me. I know the trick about lifting red, orange and yellow luminance to stop it crunching the skin tones while bumping contrast.

Attached are two versions of the same image, this is the most to my liking I can get the colour. I almost like the black and white, apart from some composition things.

Can anyone help me here please? I can see other people's work where the skin tones appear perfect. Do I need a better diffuser? Or is the image fine?
Many thanks for any replies
Elliot

There is no ISO standard for skin tones ... it is a matter of taste...
I just looked at your website - lots of right looking skin tones to me.

In the image you've shown here, there are very large areas of light tone (her clothing and the building) ... I think these have an effect on how her skin looks...

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:29:15 AM »
it looks as though you at least popped a bit of flash into the scene (bit of a catchlight in the heel of her shoe). was there another strobe source lighting her?

the reason i ask is that you can gel flashes/strobes with a straw colored gel to get better/healthier looking skin tones. she does look rather pink in the first shot but there is a bit of coolness to her skin tone that could use some warming up. fair skinned people often shoot like this and benefit greatly from a straw colored gel.

the 2nd shot she starts to look washed out. any chance you can link to some photos that you find the color pleasing so we have a better frame of reference?

nice shot regardless though. and your b&w interpretation is nice.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:29:15 AM »