August 21, 2014, 06:08:59 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks  (Read 22245 times)

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
Some think that the number of pixels defines sensor technology.  That's why we had megapixel wars, because the uneducated masses think that more is always better.

Besides pixel count there is dynamic range and color sensitivity. Higher pixel count while keeping the noise levels down is a net plus. You can always reduce pixel count in software but you cannot increase it.

True. 

However, MP count does not define technology, and it creates issues for many users who do not own or want to own the fastest and  latest computers.  My D800 low light images took way to long to render in LR 4 on my fairly new computer, and NR or brush actions took a almost unbearable amount of time.  I used it for a couple low light events, and processing 500 images took far too much time, so I sold it.  The 5D MK III images process very quickly. I also found that even with high end Nikon glass, I usually could not take advantage of all those pixels.  The best images were definitely better, but in the end, it wasn't worth the time to process them.
I could see a landscape photographer who took a few images and had time to process them being very happy with a high mp camera, but not the average Rebel user.
Of course, there will always be those who brag about how many MP their camera has, but only a few who can take advantage and actually get more detail.  In any event, a user will not get worse images, that's not a concern.

Well that's what I call an educated opinion - rarely found around here in the heat of the discussion.

What i'd like to see is an sensor with a pixel resolution much beyond the diffraction limit (i.e. about 16 times the megapixels we have now) which makes antialiasing filters and demosaicing virtually redundant. From this sensor we can downsample by a factor of 2 to 10 in order to get processable and sharp images without the problems at pixel-level we have today. I'm sure this will happen within 5-15 years but i'm not sure if canon or nikon are the first to introduce this technology. Maybe canon has development started on something like this because while it won't perform very well in the high-iso-regime it will surely blow minds in the low-iso-regime (ISO25).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:40 PM »
Wow, the new 18-55mm kit lens doesn't have that ludicrous trapezoid shape the old on did. It actually looks more pro.  ::)

I bet they updated it with the optics from the EF-M version, when i tested my EOS-M and kit lens agains the 600D and its kit lens I noticed the EOS-M was a fair bit sharper accross the frame and this was at f8 or f9 in a studio with stobes. so the update is probably a good thing

as for the T5i? meh, I still say anyone in the market for a rebel that the T3i is the best value out there at the moment and if you look at what you can snag a refurb unit for... the AF on the 650D and 700D is probably all they really have going for them over the T3i but the T3i is better for video and the T3i can already have a stable magic lantern installed on it
APS-H Fanboy

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
if one boils the cam in water blended with some chemicals it improves sensor performance I hear...  ;D

I kid I kid!

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/03/17/nikon-repair-center-saves-a-lens-damaged-by-salt-water-by-boiling-it.aspx/

Let's wait until we see some images? Now that DR wars seem to be over, I will be happy to do some bashing  ;D

Cheers!

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
if one boils the cam in water blended with some chemicals it improves sensor performance I hear...  ;D

now tell us how your brain makes the connection from boiling a LENS to SENSOR performance.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »

now tell us how your brain makes the connection from boiling a LENS to SENSOR performance.

the same way comments on the link make the connection to D600? Lacking sense of humor, are we? :)

lholmes549

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »
While this was completely predictable it is still quite disappointing. I guess we always knew that the 70D and the 7D2 were always going to be the cameras to get a real upgrade this time round and hopefully we won't be disappointed, but I get the impression canon are getting a bit lazy...

The difference between the last 3 rebel bodies have been so minimal in terms of actual improvements and not just gimmicks, it is quite astounding. I know it's their enthusiast line but at least make a bit of effort or don't release a camera every year with just an improved LCD and an extra 1fps.

They seem to be second to Nikon at the minute in terms of effort to innovate and not just squeeze money out of us. Maybe this will all change with the two big releases.

Personally I would like to see the return of eye controlled focussing in some shape or form. Would be an interesting challenge for some 61 focus points. Your move, Canon.
6D, FTb, EOS 500  | 14mm f/2.8,  24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.8

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »
So, T5i goes head to head against Nikon D5200 while EOS-b competes against the D3200. Not bad.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
So, T5i goes head to head against Nikon D5200 while EOS-b competes against the D3200. Not bad.

and they both get punched in the face... Hard... and fall over bleeding
APS-H Fanboy

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »

bahahahahaha
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

wrlphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
Personally I would like to see the return of eye controlled focussing in some shape or form. Would be an interesting challenge for some 61 focus points. Your move, Canon.

I would love that. would be so damn useful for sports

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 10:10:32 PM »
Canon has become so unimpressive with their camera specs lately. Has anyone seen what even a small family owned company like Sigma is doing? They've managed to stuff a 46MP Foveon Sensor into a point-and-shoot, and their lenses have recently been setting benchmarks that put even the best L glass to shame at a fraction of the cost. Canon needs to get off of their lazy asses and start innovating. They clearly have the means, just apparently not much inspiration.

Sigma link:
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/camera/dp1_merrill/#/specification
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

EvillEmperor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 10:20:25 PM »
(Stereotypical Canon forums user)
Blah! Canon! You don't have the right features for me! This is an entry level camera but you don't have the proper features for me! I don't want to spend moar money for a better camera!! I want slideshow with music! I'm not even gunna buy this camera!
Rant over.
Canon 5D MK III, Canon T2i, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, Canon 24-105, Canon 100 macro, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 28-135mm (sold)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 10:20:25 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »
Canon has become so unimpressive with their camera specs lately. Has anyone seen what even a small family owned company like Sigma is doing? They've managed to stuff a 46MP Foveon Sensor into a point-and-shoot, and their lenses have recently been setting benchmarks that put even the best L glass to shame at a fraction of the cost. Canon needs to get off of their lazy asses and start innovating. They clearly have the means, just apparently not much inspiration.

Sigma link:
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/camera/dp1_merrill/#/specification

The max image dimension is shown as 4704 x 3136 pixels...

The way to get to 46MP is by multiplying by 3. It is on the specs page...

Canon still need to get off their you-know-whats but Sigma's 46MP looks like marketing to me.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
My only question is why didn't they just make the EOS-B the new rebel?
The EOS-B has very similar specs to this and is a smaller size. At least if the EOS-B was the new rebel they could say that they changed something and made it smaller, lighter, but with even better performance.
This camera seems to be stuck in no mans land.... not so small, not so cheap, and with totally blah specs. At least I could consider trading my T2i for the EOS-B(which I would never do), this camera offers no good reasons to do so.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »