August 21, 2014, 01:00:32 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks  (Read 22238 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »
Some think that the number of pixels defines sensor technology.  That's why we had megapixel wars, because the uneducated masses think that more is always better.

Besides pixel count there is dynamic range and color sensitivity. Higher pixel count while keeping the noise levels down is a net plus. You can always reduce pixel count in software but you cannot increase it.

True. 

However, MP count does not define technology, and it creates issues for many users who do not own or want to own the fastest and  latest computers.  My D800 low light images took way to long to render in LR 4 on my fairly new computer, and NR or brush actions took a almost unbearable amount of time.  I used it for a couple low light events, and processing 500 images took far too much time, so I sold it.  The 5D MK III images process very quickly. I also found that even with high end Nikon glass, I usually could not take advantage of all those pixels.  The best images were definitely better, but in the end, it wasn't worth the time to process them.
I could see a landscape photographer who took a few images and had time to process them being very happy with a high mp camera, but not the average Rebel user.
Of course, there will always be those who brag about how many MP their camera has, but only a few who can take advantage and actually get more detail.  In any event, a user will not get worse images, that's not a concern.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
and that´s your two DSLR announcements... no 70D i guess.

6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
The reason the T4i is not that good is beacuase of the video AF fail.  Can anyone tell from the leaked specs whether the video AF will be fixed?  If just this one very important feature is fixed, that is enough to justify a new model.  Otherwise, I sat on the fence with the t4I, will stay on the fence with the t5I, too. 

Still using a Rebel xsi.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
Not much different outside of the new 18-55 STM kit lens.

And the price: Probably 20% higher than t4i?
Nope, I bet body debuts at $849, camera with kit for $999. Those have been the retail price points for the T2i/T3i/T4i. And by next holiday season, you'll see deals for it in the $600 range. The xxxD line is very reliable price wise.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
Canon will squeeze out the last drop of commercial value from this line of sensors before they move to the next generation. They is after all a commercial company trying to eek out a profit.
Since the new hybrid sensor has been around almost a year now, I'd expect to see it for a while.  Its not the same sensor as in the older cameras.

I did use the term "line of sensors"...most of us "uneducated masses" realize Canon continues to tweak its sensors and that product lines will stretch for more than a year.

In fact, the point I was making was precisely that...expecting a commercial company like Canon to continually release newer and newer tech with every single cycle is not realistic and they will need to make a profit.

Some think that the number of pixels defines sensor technology.  That's why we had megapixel wars, because the uneducated masses think that more is always better.

Quoting my original statement about unfair expectations from a commercial company and making a statment about "uneducated masses" and high megapixels is odd. What relevance does this have to anything I said?

As for "uneducated masses", I thought only my colleagues in the Longwood Medical Area used those terms...glad to see it thrive elsewhere. ;)

So far, no one has moved away from the basic silicon technology, no black silicon or other revolutionary technology.  There are slightly different versions of it, but no new tech has come out, and none is on the horizon.
Even the three layer foveon sensors use old tech silicon.

This is like saying the 1950's combustion engine still essentially lies at the base of automobile engines today and why talk about innovation. I don't view the lack of flying saucers based on magnetic force modulation to define advancement in technology.

With all due respect, it is perfectly ok for the "uneducated masses" you deride to expect something with every few product cycles their little common brains can cope with.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:49:20 PM by RS2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

J

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »
They could have at least added Wi-fi...  :-\

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »

It's a constant struggle from two opposing sides.
I shoot with a T3 right now, a lowly 12MP sensor, when I compared my first shots with that camera VS an old SD780IS (same resolution), I was astonished at how good it looked. Obviously the bigger sensor and more modern technology made a big difference (one point for low resolution sensors).
At the same time, when you look at some comparisons of high density crop sensor cameras VS full frame of the same resolution, if the lens is sharp enough there isn't a whole lot of difference. There's obviously room for higher resolution (one point for high resolution sensors).
On the other hand, I usually downscale my images by about 75%-90% before showing them to anyone, so asking "what's the point" seems quite valid, and has stopped me from ditching my now ancient, inferior sensor (two points for low resolution sensors).
If I'm going to have an SLR that produces such nice images though, it would make sense to have nice prints made of a few of my best shots at some point in the future. I would want a big expensive high quality print to have as much detail crammed into it as you can manage (two points for high resolution sensors).

Continue ad nauseam.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
The reason the T4i is not that good is beacuase of the video AF fail.  Can anyone tell from the leaked specs whether the video AF will be fixed?  If just this one very important feature is fixed, that is enough to justify a new model.  Otherwise, I sat on the fence with the t4I, will stay on the fence with the t5I, too.
I assume you are angry that it doesn't smoothly track moving objects? If so, expect to be unimpressed with future offerings for the next decade. The shallowness of the DOF makes creating a useable video AF nearly impossible. The camera has to decide which high contrast area to focus on when there are numerous options and then smoothly transition to the correct one. Except then people will complain its slow, so it makes those transitions fast, thus looking jerky.

Basically, the AF tracking system of Canon's most expensive DLSR (at $6k) can lock focus on an object at 12fps for several seconds. Yet, a good video AF would have to do the same at 30fps or 60fps for minutes at a time. Ain't gonna happen on a <$1000 DSLR. If you want video AF, you want a camcorder with a small sensor.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »
They could have at least added Wi-fi...  :-\

Lol. That seriously made my evening.

Drum

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
If I was going into a shop to buy my first DSLR not really knowing too much about cameras I don't think I would buy Canon, I would be looking at the Nikons far more seriously. For the entry level users Headline specs  (megapixels in particular) is what counts plus the Nikon D3200 has already settled into its  lower price point. Also hasn't it gone very quiet about a 70D announcement????

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
T4i        ISO Sensitivity    100 -  6400  Expandable to  12800

T5i        ISO Sensitivity    100-25,600  Expandable to 256000

Same Digic 5 processor. Are these specs correct? Are they just marketing-generated numbers that only apply in utopia, or is something going on here?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but wasn't there something recently about a sensor with focusing integrated into it? If this is that sensor than it could have a substantial impact on live-view and movie mode focusing.

If Canon is using this new sensor on new models, then it stands to reason that they will phase out the old sensor. A t4i change to a t5i that just requires some minor software changes and changing a 4 to a 5 in the manuals seems worth it to move towards a new allignment of standardized parts.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
...no CR rating?
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
How come there is no CR rating at this one?
When I first saw the rumor I was pretty sure that it's fake. The images of the 700D where from the 650D and the spec list is a 1:1 copy of the 650D. Starting from the 300D, there was never a successor of a xxxD with a spec list so close to its predecessor than this 700D.

I don't believe it.  8)

However, if it turns out to be true, I'll keep my 400D for another two years.
(or sell all the stuff and run over to nikon ;-))

Update: the rubber grips are different from those on a 650D. It really seems to be the 700D. Damn.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:03:48 AM by Jan »

canon rumors FORUM

...no CR rating?
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »
timing is to be expected.  I just purchased a T4i for my wife

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but wasn't there something recently about a sensor with focusing integrated into it? If this is that sensor than it could have a substantial impact on live-view and movie mode focusing.

good morning.

the 650D has such an hybrid sensor already.

To quote Homer.... "DOH"

I knew it was somewhere.... but this one seems to have a higher ISO range...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »