August 31, 2014, 02:23:44 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks  (Read 22523 times)

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2013, 08:00:08 AM »
I think the sensor will be the same as in the 650D, with some minor improvements. ISO 25'600 could be doable in JPEG with the DIGIC5 processor. And I think this sensor is good enough for the target group. People who buy a rebel (xxxD), are either new to photography, or not really serious about it (the same goes for Nikon 3xxx and 5xxx). These people do not care much about AF-Systems, DR and RAW; so there is no reason to shine with such features. These people like a camera that takes pictures, and one that they think they can handle; not too many buttons, good UI, compact size and a good price. Give them a 7D, and they will be overwhelmed by the amount of buttons, and they will get feeling that the salesperson is speaking in chinese when he explains them the camera.

For these people the old 18MP sensor is good enough, so are 11 AF points.

It also makes sense for Canon to use the old sensor in these cameras. They need to ramp up the production of their new 180nm sensor first, and they won't do that in a high volume model like the rebel. So they can still use their old equipment, which is cheaper then the new ones, and produce very decent sensor there vor the high volume market.
They will most likely introduce the new sensor generation in the 70D and the 7DII. And I will be looking forward to their test on DXOMark. I hope that Canon will catch up with Sony and Nikon, but there is also a chance they will fall a bit short, but also that they will overtake them and stay ahead for some time. We will see.

I hope I will have my 70D before the summer ends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2013, 08:00:08 AM »

yakapo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »
I guess I'm in the category of the "ignorant masses" that bought a t4i.  I paid $550 for the body with the kit zoom brand new.  For that price I get a nice big touchscreen that swivels out - great for photos of my new baby when she's sitting on the floor.  Af sucks in video but who cares?  I just use manual focus when shooting video. 

I bought the 50mm 1.8 for $50 from a friend and later sold it to get the sigma 30mm 1.4 for $230 used.  I bought a 420ex for about $60. 

I've only been into photography for the past 8 months but to me canon has the best bang for your buck.  $850 for my whole setup is less than a new nikon d5200. 

carlosmeldano

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
I hope I will have my 70D before the summer ends.

according to CW latest info, 70D will only be announced later, but before summer. it may only be available in stores this autumn.

disappointing...  :-\

KarstenReis

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2013, 08:12:57 AM »
This was posted on Canon Rumors Twitter last night.  Possibility of the 70D before Easter.
https://twitter.com/canonrumorsguy/status/314133618815553536

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
I really do not understand the negativity.
It is a new camera which will be useful to who need it.
End of story!!!

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »
YET ANOTHER 18MP APS-C from CANON!

They should earn an award for the most milked sensor in the history of photography! ah, what's an old sensor among friends right?

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Strange, my D600's files are not greenish at all.

I'm sure they are fine. They just appear greenish on Nikon DSLR LCDs.

But the D600 sensor debris problem is VERY real. :)

Also the lcd thing is overrated - it's mostly a matter of relative perception. I agree, it has a different hue than Canon's LCD and in comparison it looks greenish. The first couple of days it did look green to me too. However, once my eyes got used to it, it just felt normal. Probably by now Canon's LCDs would look insanely reddish to me.

I have taken around 500 pictures so far and I couldn't notice anything strange on them. I'll do a test when I'll reach the famous 3000 shots landmark. It might be that newer batches are not afflicted by the issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
Yes, I am fully aware of the sensor differences: pixel count, low ISO dynamic range etc. But feature wise? I really don't see any feature advantage the D5200 has over the T5i, nor the D3200 over the EOS-b.

the sensor is a feature  ;) it is after all, an imaging device wouldn't you say?  8)

On Nikon D5000 & D3000 series of cameras you cannot have AF using many of thier lenses, if one wants to use some of the Nikkor good glass on the lower end models they have to be content with manual focus only

you need to do your research better. pretty much every great Nikon lens is AF-S electronic focus already. The only stragglers are lenses which are nothing to write home about. At this point in fact, the AF-S based glass so outnumbers the legacy glass and it is so much better, that you'd be nuts not to buy the modern lens!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:01:10 AM by psolberg »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
The 5D3 and 6D sensors have lower pixel count and poorer low ISO dynamic range compared to that on D800 and D600 respectively. So, there is no technical advantage whatsoever in Canon cameras

How is that people continually fail to understand that a "camera" is not a metal/plastic box with a sensor inside, any more than a car is a metal/plastic box with an engine inside?  I was car shopping recently, pretty much every vehicle I was looking at, different body styles from 5 different manufacturers, all had a 3.5L 6-cyl engine.  Does that mean there's no real difference between them?

Yes, the sensor is important.  No, Canon doesn't make the best sensors from an IQ standpoint.  But until consumers start buying bare silicon sensors to take pictures, what matters is camera performance, not only sensor performance. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
The 5D3 and 6D sensors have lower pixel count and poorer low ISO dynamic range compared to that on D800 and D600 respectively. So, there is no technical advantage whatsoever in Canon cameras

How is that people continually fail to understand that a "camera" is not a metal/plastic box with a sensor inside, any more than a car is a metal/plastic box with an engine inside?  I was car shopping recently, pretty much every vehicle I was looking at, different body styles from 5 different manufacturers, all had a 3.5L 6-cyl engine.  Does that mean there's no real difference between them?

Yes, the sensor is important.  No, Canon doesn't make the best sensors from an IQ standpoint.  But until consumers start buying bare silicon sensors to take pictures, what matters is camera performance, not only sensor performance.

So are we beating the dead horse again? ;)
Light is language!

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »

+1 ... well said
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »

I agree actually. Which is why I do not understand all that negativity when people hears about the 18 MP APS-C sensor... again.  ;)

fman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »
if you want to buy a competitive camera from canon today you have to pay 2800$ for the 5D MK3.

evertyhing below that you better buy a nikon product.. sad but true.

and i really wonder about the fanboys who still, after 4 generations of nearly identical APS-C bodys, defend canon.

how dum* must someone be to defend big corporations that want nothing more then screw you for your hard earned money.
and to the knee jerk who thinks about writing "then don´t buy canon".... that´s exactly what im doing!!

as most 550D users wrote.. there is no reason to update to a new xxxD model.

Sad, but so true.
I take most of the time only mFT stuff with me as that's smaller/lighter (and IQ wise I don't feel loosing anything). So that's with me in the 99% of the time.
In the rare occasions when I carry my bigger photo bag which has also 550D/T2i + an L zoom in it I use almost exclusively my mFT stuff (Canon stuff is hidden deeper in the bag and it's more trouble to take it out and I'm not up to that trouble  ;), no actually I'm not kidding).
The very rare cases when I used my Canon stuff during the last 1/2 year was because:
- The 580EXII is more powerful and recharges a bit faster than the flash I have for mFT (I could change that)
- Magic Lantern and because nothing comparable exist for mFT
- The Canon 100L, because I don't have macro lens for mFT (I could change that)

Sure the 5DmkIII would provide somewhat better IQ/better handling/more background blur etc. but I'm dead sure that not 2800$ worth for me personally.
Pro work is of course different. There you cannot afford not using the best stuff. But pros buys only 1 digit Canons, right?

So I'd be ready to pay for a reasonable spec'd and reasonable priced xxD but I'm not open to pay anything for a Canon APS-C body that not up to recent mFT bodies and smells like designed by the marketing department and engineers were not allowed to work on it.

Anything lesser than xxD from Canon is a joke and only Canon fan-boys (and folks working for Canon's marketing department) who never tried out anything else (take mFT for example) can truly believe that they are still competitive and worth their price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »

jthomson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »

How is that people continually fail to understand that a "camera" is not a metal/plastic box with a sensor inside,

Neuro, you just failed Photography 101.  :)
We just had our last lecture before the final exam and the instructor took pains to point out that
   "A camera is a light tight box with a sensor inside and a mechanism for letting light in."
I'm pretty sure thats going to be one of the answers required on the final exam.

Just  an observation, of the fifteen students in the class,  2 have crop Nikons, 1 has a Sony Nex and the other  12 have crop Canons ranging from the XTi to the 7D.   
Canon must be doing something right with their "crappy" sensors.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »

How is that people continually fail to understand that a "camera" is not a metal/plastic box with a sensor inside,

Neuro, you just failed Photography 101.  :)
We just had our last lecture before the final exam and the instructor took pains to point out that
   "A camera is a light tight box with a sensor inside and a mechanism for letting light in."
I'm pretty sure thats going to be one of the answers required on the final exam.

Just  an observation, of the fifteen students in the class,  2 have crop Nikons, 1 has a Sony Nex and the other  12 have crop Canons ranging from the XTi to the 7D.   
Canon must be doing something right with their "crappy" sensors.

No. You didn't discern what he was saying. I could simply give the answer, but just reread your answer and neuro statement and you'll discern the simple comment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »