December 18, 2014, 05:52:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks  (Read 25815 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T5i Leaks
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
There isn't much of a difference in the T5i specs than the T4i (and even the "EOS-b"). I'm assuming Canon will have to change the name of the "Rebel" series for the new generation of consumer DSLRs.

I think we have to ask why? Why would Canon introduce a model where the specs seem to be almost the same as the preceeding model.... with the possibility of PERHAPS one stop of ISO ( all depends if they meant normal or expanded range). And why NOT a digic6 when its coming out in a powershot?

One possible explanation is that the old APS-C sensor fabrication line is being shut down, replaced with a new technology line.... and that means no more of the old sensors, replaced with a new one of the same size... a new sensor with the same footprint on the circuit board as the old one so design changes and re-tooling is minimal.... and once the changeover is complete, watch the same thing happen to the ff fabrication process.

This is a far more likely explanation than to just make another identical model for the sake of making a new model.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
This Canon vs Nikon argument is just silly really. We have reached a point where all of the recent sensors are good enough for commercial print. I was shooting with a 40D for newspapers until about this time last year.

Blown highlights due to less dynamic range show on any print size, and you don't need life-sized prints to spot banding or noise after raising shadows. Good for Canon that his difference only matters on low iso, so only landscape or sports on very good light are affected by the difference.

Canon-F1

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »

This Canon vs Nikon argument is just silly really. We have reached a point where all of the recent sensors are good enough for commercial print. I was shooting with a 40D for newspapers until about this time last year.

Blown highlights due to less dynamic range show on any print size, and you don't need life-sized prints to spot banding or noise after raising shadows. Good for Canon that his difference only matters on low iso, so only landscape or sports on very good light are affected by the difference.

cameras are special you know.  ::)

nobody would buy a ford pinto because it can transport you from point A to point B... when you can get a better car for the same money.

but when it comes to cameras all the old stuff is good enough for fanboys, as long as it carrys the canon logo.  ::)

it´s good enough.. yeah... so why not just stop all the research and and just selling the 40D and 50D... meanwhile sony improves their sensors.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:47:12 PM by Canon-F1 »

roguewave

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2013, 01:43:33 PM »
You need a good working SYSTEM to take a decent picture.... the sensor is only one part of that system so why is everyone so fixated on it?

My point exactly.  Camera performance matters.  Sensor performance is part of that, but short of people hyperbolizing to the point of NONSENsical absurdity, it's not the only part. 

I suspect everyone is fixated on it for two reasons.  First, in general, it's easy to measure sensor performance and plot the data or reduce the data to a single 'score'.  Second, in particular on CR forums, it's an area where Canon is not leading, and some people like to create a stir by beating on that horse (we sometimes call them trolls...).

Perhaps because at this point, Canon's APS-C sensors are the weak link that makes their CAMERA performance fall behind the competition, at least in areas like noise, DR, etc.?

Sensors are an important part of the system. After Canon has failed to deliver improvements in that particular area for several years, I don't find it strange that users complain about it.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
I suspect everyone is fixated on it for two reasons.  First, in general, it's easy to measure sensor performance and plot the data or reduce the data to a single 'score'.  Second, in particular on CR forums, it's an area where Canon is not leading, and some people like to create a stir by beating on that horse (we sometimes call them trolls...).

You are correct as usual – EXCEPT – is it really "an area where Canon is not leading?" Or is this troll-fueled internet forum conventional wisdom?

How is Canon behind in its full frame sensors? Canon has taken a different path in that Canon has decided to go for high ISO performance instead of higher megapixels (which, by the way is what the conventional internet forum wisdom was clamoring for prior to the release of the 5DIII). But, a different path isn't falling behind, it's a different path and one, frankly, that I prefer. Truth is, I don't really need either a lot more megapixels or a lot higher ISO, but if I'm going to get one, I'll take higher ISO.

As for APS-C, Canon's flagship camera still uses a sensor that is better and newer than Nikon's flagship APS-C, so how is that falling behind? Nikon has put some interesting higher resolution sensors in their consumer models and maybe Canon is dragging their feet a bit in releasing their own versions, but it's hardly the end of the world. The higher megapixels do nothing for me and frankly the high ISO performance of the sensors Nikon is using is unimpressive, especially when you consider they are competing against Canon's nearly four-year-old sensor.

But, even if one believes the competitors have moved ahead slightly, how is that bad? Products only improve when competitors offer something better or different. Canon wants my money and when they release the next product I want, they will get it. In the meantime, I'm not going to take it personally and act like the sky is falling.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

MacPaul

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: ...now CR rating?
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »
Update: the rubber grips are different from those on a 650D. It really seems to be the 700D. Damn.
Sure it is! That's Canon, steps so small would mankind have made such we still would be in the dark ages...

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
YET ANOTHER 18MP APS-C from CANON!

They should earn an award for the most milked sensor in the history of photography! ah, what's an old sensor among friends right?

Nah I think the most milked sensor in the history of photography is FP4  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »

As for APS-C, Canon's flagship camera still uses a sensor that is better and newer than Nikon's flagship APS-C, so how is that falling behind? Nikon has put some interesting higher resolution sensors in their consumer models and maybe Canon is dragging their feet a bit in releasing their own versions, but it's hardly the end of the world. The higher megapixels do nothing for me and frankly the high ISO performance of the sensors Nikon is using is unimpressive, especially when you consider they are competing against Canon's nearly four-year-old sensor.
It is interesting...
After 4 years the Canon APS-C sensor is arguably ahead of Nikon, and the panasonic/olympus sensor is marginably better.... It's been 4 years at the top of the hill.... 4 years with better lenses and user interface and now they are starting to catch up on just the sensor component.... and this is coming at the time Canon is talking about 5D2-like performance out of the next release of camera... Oh my it hurts to shoot Canon... Oh the shame of it!

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »

They should earn an award for the most milked sensor in the history of photography! ah, what's an old sensor among friends right?

I would have said Kodachrome 64.....

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
so if canon tomorrow released the 5Dmk4, which was 2MP, had 1 stop of dynamic range shot in black and white and maxed out at ISO 100, but was twice as good in every other way as the current camera, you'd buy it?
Hypothetical exaggerations should have some threshold ... this is plain absurd ::)
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
The Olympus OMD-EM5 has a better sensor than my 60D. I even have a bin of Oly lenses. The Canon 60D has a better user interface, it feels better in the hand, and it has a better selection of glass. Guess which one I use? Hint: system beats sensor...
+1 ... well said
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

I would have said Kodachrome 64.....

;D ;D True and it had better DR  :P

Rocguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
I'd love the 70d, but I'd gladly upgrade to the t5i from my t4i if the noise with autofocus on during video recording was fixed...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
I'd love the 70d, but I'd gladly upgrade to the t5i from my t4i if the noise with autofocus on during video recording was fixed...

If anyone is learning about or teaching about planned obsolescence, Canon is your prime research object - fix bugs by updating the hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if they already have the specs for the t6i and t7i in the drawer :-p ... but all are good cameras, however the old 550d still seems to have the best "bang for the buck" with the same 18mp sensor and working Magic Lantern.

beautifulharnster

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:39:29 PM by beautifulharnster »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »