Hello CR friends.
Have you ever got the fever to buy a new car? Well I have the fever to buy a full frame camera. I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist. I currently own a T3i, with a kit lens, a Canon 50mm F1.4, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II. I also have a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 that I'm selling. For the last 2 months I've read so many reviews, watched every video on YouTube, as well as many on vimeo.
If you had 2,800.00 to spend, what you do?
Canon 6d with kit lens or 5d MK III body only
I feel the 5d MK III would hold it value longer that the 6d.
That is a dilema....
It depends on your situation.. lets break it down:
Do you want to be an advanced amateur or a pro that needs perfomance where missing pictures = missing $$$?
As a photographer, the 6D will give you the same quality of image as the 5D mark iii. thats a great value there. Price delineating features like IQ are now as non issue between a 6D vs a 5D. Thats a big deal. A game changer. So then it comes to what kind of performance you need now and anticipate needing in the future:
1) compact solution for a Wifi & GPS enabled FF camera... no expensive and clunky add ons, failed attempts of making up to three components from different manufacturers handshake properly (wifi device, camera, computer/tablet). You get a functioning, existing wifi (and GPS) solution TODAY at no added cost). This is great if you want to remotely trigger your camera or upload to a web site as you shoot. Great feature for Blogging, event photography where you can sell photographs online at the event at the same time.
2) lighter body, but less weather sealed, less shutter lifetime, plastic body. Not really an issue unless you are shooting a lot at a high frame rate and tossing your camera in car trunks and cam bags.. I literally mean tossing....
3) Effective AF but not an action/sports AF system. The center AF point has become legendary in its low light sensitivity. So like I said, you can take photos as good as a 5D, but...
1) AF system is the best yet from canon, second only to the 1DX (which used its 100K pixel exp system to help in tracking with the AF). Designed for tracking, action, sports, etc.. its not for the casual... not that its hard, you just have to take the time to learn it. The 6D you can pick up, point and focus. You can do the same with the 5D but you are missing out on A LOT of functionality thats a game changer in the canon line.. Again, you will have this camera for years so you may not hop on all the features immediately and can grow into them.
2) Durability, weather sealed... not as much as a 1DX, which is a misconception.. a 1DX (with a weather-sealed L lens with filter attached to the front) can hang in the rain all day. One canon rep put it best... if you out in a light shower with a 5D, and you are getting soaked, so is your 5D!!!
3)Forthcoming firmware update that will allow clean HDMI out from the 5D. Coupled with an Atomos ninja 2 field recorder, you will be getting an amazing movie platform: on the fly 4:2:2 pro rez recording, ready for edit.
4) additional pro features that you can grow into: HDR outputs RAW instead of JPG only, headphone jack, dual card slots (Note here, using an Eyefi SD card gives you some of the Wifi functionality fo the 6D, but not all, and not as reliable), more programable buttons on the body.
5) performance: Again, the AF, 6fps, weight better balanced with the heavier lenses (because the body is heavier!), and a pro aftermarket specifically suited to the 5D. Yeah most will fit a 6D, but things like plates with locking pins, etc that are designed for the idiosycracies of the 5D will be more available. Plus you will speak "5D" as far as knowing how to operate the camera it opens opportunities for jobs.
Get to know the ceilings that the 6D has compared to the 5D... if you feel that the 6D is "enough" camera for you, go for it! Otherwise, if you see yourself growing into more advanced shooting, and perhaps even monetizing your photography, the 5D will pay off more. Remember, should you decide to become a second shooter for events, having your own 5D will make you more desirable and afford you more opportunities as well as $$$ for your services.