November 23, 2014, 07:08:25 PM

Author Topic: 1Dx vs 5D M3  (Read 7066 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 1Dx vs 5D M3
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »
I just shot these for a client this past weekend. The scenario was my back to a 9 foot jump, them launching over my head, and the 5d III picking them up within nano seconds of hitting the jump. Most series had 4 out of 5 tack sharp images. Mind you, my back was to the jump, so I literally had to rely on the sound of them getting closer and judge the launch timing. I've owned 3 1 series cameras, and you will have to pry my 5d III from my cold dead hands at a huge price difference for 98% of the same performance.

It was bitter cold and the battery level never budged after 3 hours.

Shot/strobed with 4 600EX-RTs off camera. :)

Those pictures are really awesome!  Don't lose that thought when I say this.  Of course the 5D3 can do that.  Now, go into a low-lit gym and try to shoot fast action with both a 5D3 and 1DX, to compare, and the 1DX wins by a rather huge margin.

The 5D3 is great though, as I use it for tennis and golf where I must be quiet.  But soccer, football, volleyball, etc., etc. I use the 1DX because I get a lot more keepers.

If you don't shoot a ton of sports and need "magical moments" all the time, and are not a pro sports photog, the 5D3 is sufficient and I argue better than the 7D.

It's a really fun time to be in this hobby/profession because there are so many great cameras to choose from at a wide range of budgets.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
I just shot these for a client this past weekend. The scenario was my back to a 9 foot jump, them launching over my head, and the 5d III picking them up within nano seconds of hitting the jump. Most series had 4 out of 5 tack sharp images. Mind you, my back was to the jump, so I literally had to rely on the sound of them getting closer and judge the launch timing. I've owned 3 1 series cameras, and you will have to pry my 5d III from my cold dead hands at a huge price difference for 98% of the same performance.

It was bitter cold and the battery level never budged after 3 hours.

Shot/strobed with 4 600EX-RTs off camera. :)

Awesome shots. Congrats!

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
I think it safe to suggest that, in most performance-related matters, the 1Dx will marginally to significantly (though never greatly) outperform the 5DIII.

There are, however, actually a few areas in which the 5DIII outperforms the 1Dx, and they're worth keeping in mind.

First and foremost is price, of course. You can buy two 5DIIIs and have money left over for the price of a single 1Dx. And there are a lot of situations where a second body is far more important than the marginal differences between the two models.

Next, the 5DIII has a silent mode that's not quite believable. For settings where you need to be unobtrusive, such as weddings or contemplative sports, the 5DIII's silent shutter alone will win the day over the 1Dx, all the other superiorities of the 1Dx be damned.

In a similar vein, the 5DIII is a lot smaller. You can slap a Shorty McForty on it and it doesn't look a whole lot different to the non-photographer from a high-end P&S -- especially in comparison to a 1Dx with a 35L. And, yet, the smaller combo will give you comparable results in all but a few extreme and not-especially-common situations. (And, yes, yes, I know...there're people here who think f/2 is slow...you're extreme and not especially common. Congratulations!)

At the same time, the 5DIII works great with the grip (though, obviously, not quite as well as the 1Dx with its integrated grip). Point is, it's very versatile, in that it's equally at home at the party and hung off of a Great White; the 1Dx just can't slim down, while the 5DIII bulks up pretty damned well.

Not to be overlooked, the 5DIII has a few more megapickles than the 1Dx. At lower ISOs, that can (marginally) give the image quality edge to the 5DIII, especially if you're cropping.

In general, if you're considering both and there's a serious question in your mind about which to get, then the 5DIII is for you. It's definitely for you if any of the cases where it does better than the 1Dx are particularly important to you.

The 1Dx is the action photography monster powerhouse. If you're shooting for SI, you'd be an idiot to not be shooting with one. And it's better than any other 1-series camera Canon has ever made, so it's the best choice for all those other photographers for whom that sort of thing is built. If you're shooting in a war zone and you need to be able to club a renegade rebel to death with your camera and still be able to use the camera to take pictures of the steaming corpse, the 1Dx is for you. If you're shooting wildlife in the deep jungle and you never know when you'll have to use your camera to chip off some flint to use to start a fire because your matches got washed down the river, the 1Dx is for you.

But, really...if you're not sure that the 1Dx is for you, then the 5DIII almost certainly is.

Cheers,

b&

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Yes I still owe you files!  Do not worry, I have already shot some, I just need to finish them up, as basketball season just wouldn't end.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 05:33:33 AM »
I think it safe to suggest that, in most performance-related matters, the 1Dx will marginally to significantly (though never greatly) outperform the 5DIII.

There are, however, actually a few areas in which the 5DIII outperforms the 1Dx, and they're worth keeping in mind.

First and foremost is price, of course. You can buy two 5DIIIs and have money left over for the price of a single 1Dx. And there are a lot of situations where a second body is far more important than the marginal differences between the two models.

Next, the 5DIII has a silent mode that's not quite believable. For settings where you need to be unobtrusive, such as weddings or contemplative sports, the 5DIII's silent shutter alone will win the day over the 1Dx, all the other superiorities of the 1Dx be damned.

In a similar vein, the 5DIII is a lot smaller. You can slap a Shorty McForty on it and it doesn't look a whole lot different to the non-photographer from a high-end P&S -- especially in comparison to a 1Dx with a 35L. And, yet, the smaller combo will give you comparable results in all but a few extreme and not-especially-common situations. (And, yes, yes, I know...there're people here who think f/2 is slow...you're extreme and not especially common. Congratulations!)

At the same time, the 5DIII works great with the grip (though, obviously, not quite as well as the 1Dx with its integrated grip). Point is, it's very versatile, in that it's equally at home at the party and hung off of a Great White; the 1Dx just can't slim down, while the 5DIII bulks up pretty damned well.

Not to be overlooked, the 5DIII has a few more megapickles than the 1Dx. At lower ISOs, that can (marginally) give the image quality edge to the 5DIII, especially if you're cropping.

In general, if you're considering both and there's a serious question in your mind about which to get, then the 5DIII is for you. It's definitely for you if any of the cases where it does better than the 1Dx are particularly important to you.

The 1Dx is the action photography monster powerhouse. If you're shooting for SI, you'd be an idiot to not be shooting with one. And it's better than any other 1-series camera Canon has ever made, so it's the best choice for all those other photographers for whom that sort of thing is built. If you're shooting in a war zone and you need to be able to club a renegade rebel to death with your camera and still be able to use the camera to take pictures of the steaming corpse, the 1Dx is for you. If you're shooting wildlife in the deep jungle and you never know when you'll have to use your camera to chip off some flint to use to start a fire because your matches got washed down the river, the 1Dx is for you.

But, really...if you're not sure that the 1Dx is for you, then the 5DIII almost certainly is.

Cheers,

b&

Love your examples (lol) and your explanation seems spot on from my experiences with both cameras. Because I mainly shoot fashion and portrait, my 5DMkIII is the camera that is in my hand 90% of the time. I only reach for my 1DX when I get hired to shoot events e.g. fashion shows, wedding parties, sports etc.... where I know I will encounter low light and/or fast moving subjects and gotta bring home the shots.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »
as basketball season just wouldn't end.
You shoot fantastic pics. I hope the season never ends.

Basketball is played indoors. So it is possible to play it 365.25 days a year...
 :)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »

Cheers,

b&

that is a fine field review of the 5D3
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »
If you're shooting in a war zone and you need to be able to club a renegade rebel to death with your camera and still be able to use the camera to take pictures of the steaming corpse, the 1Dx is for you.

Hahaha, thanks! That made my day. Canon should add this to their sales pitch!!  :D
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »