December 20, 2014, 02:40:11 AM

Author Topic: Announcements Coming Tonight  (Read 15434 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Announcements Coming Tonight
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 04:39:43 AM »
Just saw this pop up on the NZ/Aus Canon FB pages
Canon EOS 100D and EOS 700D - First Look
I was searching for this vid ... thanks for sharing. I'm definately getting this puppy as my backup camera, but I'll wait till the price drops a bit or will buy a refurbished one.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 04:39:43 AM »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 04:41:03 AM »
Just saw this pop up on the NZ/Aus Canon FB pages
Canon EOS 100D and EOS 700D - First Look

You know that thing (100D) is small when it makes the 40mm pancake lens look large.

But other than that there is nothing of interest for me.
Guess Canon are forcing me to either wait for the 7D2 and see what that holds in store or upgrade to the 5D3/1DX if i want a camera that doesn't feel like a toy in my hand and is properly weather sealed.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 04:42:07 AM »

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:24 AM »
sarcasm mode OFF

what are the actual differences between 650D and 700D? it doesnt seem like there anything new there
I asked myself the same. it seems they wanted update the nee kit lens and then renamed the body to go with it. Why not 650D MkIi and then go for a name change qhen new tech comes?.

DPReview just posted their "Hands-on Previews" for the SL1 and T5i; the big difference they found so far with the T5i vs the T4i is ...(wait for it)

You get a new mode dial! You'll be the envy of all DSLR users as you switch modes in luxury with its full 360 degree spin (in both directions!), wider spaced smoother clicks to switch modes with greater ease and the newly designed RAISED labels providing a more noticeable selection in low light situations.

...seriously that's what they said, it seems to have the same sensor and everything else (even the same Phase-Detect Hybrid CMOS) as the previous T4i (oh and a slightly better kit lens) but good luck to any retailers trying to sell this for $1000 when t4i kits are going for less then $800 (that goes for $800 SL1 retailers too). 

Rebel updates have never been major but they at least had enough to peak an interest, I am really really really finding it hard to see any reason at all for the 700D/T5i.  Unless they find better image or video quality during their official proper tests (which I seriously doubt) then I'm sorry but if you have a 700D/T5i ...you're an idiot... (like I said sorry).

The SL1/100D on the other hand at least seems interesting but it doesn't seem to have a better sensor, here are the differences found so far:

1. Canon says they just updated the "Phase-Detect Hybrid CMOS" to widen its range to cover a greater portion of the frame (up to 80% now).  It seems to have the same basic sensor as the EOS M (which supposed also has native ISO up to 12,800) and 650D except for the wider "hybrid" range. 

2. They also removed the dedicated WB, Drive, Picture Styles and AF mode buttons from its 4-way directional pad on the back (I don't see the point of this other then to screw users) and combined the Quick Menu and OK Selection button (that actually sounds like a good idea). 

3. They also reduced the AF points to non cross-type except for the center one at f/2.8 or faster (like the T3i).

The SL1/100D is a step-back in features from the Rebel T1i but its low weight and size almost balance it out, although it seems to be an EOS M with a mirror, a grip, added weight and size...

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 06:32:07 AM »
Here are a few pictures of someone holding it, you can get a idea of it's size: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-rebel-sl1/4505-6501_7-35642119.html

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:31 AM »

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 07:14:19 AM »

skfla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
I don't have a problem with the T5i coming out given that it will drive down the price of the T4i on the Canon refurb list as well as making the T4i more available on the CLP.  & when Canon does one of their refurb sales, the T4i should go on sale in the 20%-30% off range instead of the ridiculous 15% off its been at lately.  I bought a T2i refurb for $195 (after I sold off the kit lens) a few months ago and use that as my p&s.  I hate to say it, but having a touch screen for immediate direct access on a low end model would be nice to have.

This may not be popular to say but the new SL1 will definitely get my attention once:

1.) the price drops significantly AND
2.) if Canon releases a couple more pancakes (a 20'ish mm & a 30'ish mm) at a reasonable price. 

I have to admit that a smaller dslr (I can't seem to get use to the mirrorless cameras), that also shoots in quiet mode & has a live histogram, is attractive. As long as I don't have to use full sized crop sensor lens. If the 40mm is going to be Canon's only pancake, I don't really see the point of the SL1 for anything other than novelity. I imagine it will be interesting to the P&S/iphone crowd that are upgrading but once you put a 18-55 or maybe even a 18-135 (?) on it, what's the point??
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:31:21 AM by skfla »
still a 5D2 fan

Diko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »
For people that don't like heavy gear it may seem as a good BackUP.... But come on! These days 25k NATIVE ISO is a standard for all DSLR devices.... going back to 12 800 is non-logical especially for beginners and/or lamers that would count in the beginning on automatic ISO calculations.

Additionally if 7D mark II does NOT come with DIG!C 6.... I don't know.... :-( I am saying that because I expected 700D (Rebel T5i) to be the little version of the APS-C top camera...

And if CANON come out with the same sensor & same processor even higher frame rate and better native ISO will not bring what it takes to sell good enough. :-(

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
This may not be popular to say but the new SL1 will definitely get my attention once:

2.) if Canon releases a couple more pancakes (20'ish mm & a 30'ish mm) at a reasonable price. 

Totally with you on that. Aside from professional gigs I love taking my 5DIII and 40mm out to social occasions because it feels like a compact to me.  However, the SL1 with a series of pancakes as you mentioned above would be bliss for such occasions.

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »

2.) if Canon releases a couple more pancakes (20'ish mm & a 30'ish mm) at a reasonable price. 

Totally with you on that. Aside from professional gigs I love taking my 5DIII and 40mm out to social occasions because it feels like a compact to me.  However, the SL1 with a series of pancakes as you mentioned above would be bliss for such occasions.

Agree, a wide pancake on this could make for a nice street setup. Would be nice to see a EF-S pancake unless they are going to make a really wide EF one.

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »

Agree, a wide pancake on this could make for a nice street setup. Would be nice to see a EF-S pancake unless they are going to make a really wide EF one.

I asked about a 20mm pancake a while back and aparently it's not viable :(

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
sarcasm mode OFF

what are the actual differences between 650D and 700D? it doesnt seem like there anything new there
I asked myself the same. it seems they wanted update the nee kit lens and then renamed the body to go with it. Why not 650D MkIi and then go for a name change qhen new tech comes?.

DPReview just posted their "Hands-on Previews" for the SL1 and T5i; the big difference they found so far with the T5i vs the T4i is ...(wait for it)

You get a new mode dial! You'll be the envy of all DSLR users as you switch modes in luxury with its full 360 degree spin (in both directions!), wider spaced smoother clicks to switch modes with greater ease and the newly designed RAISED labels providing a more noticeable selection in low light situations.

...seriously that's what they said, it seems to have the same sensor and everything else (even the same Phase-Detect Hybrid CMOS) as the previous T4i (oh and a slightly better kit lens) but good luck to any retailers trying to sell this for $1000 when t4i kits are going for less then $800 (that goes for $800 SL1 retailers too). 

Rebel updates have never been major but they at least had enough to peak an interest, I am really really really finding it hard to see any reason at all for the 700D/T5i.  Unless they find better image or video quality during their official proper tests (which I seriously doubt) then I'm sorry but if you have a 700D/T5i ...you're an idiot... (like I said sorry).

The SL1/100D on the other hand at least seems interesting but it doesn't seem to have a better sensor, here are the differences found so far:

1. Canon says they just updated the "Phase-Detect Hybrid CMOS" to widen its range to cover a greater portion of the frame (up to 80% now).  It seems to have the same basic sensor as the EOS M (which supposed also has native ISO up to 12,800) and 650D except for the wider "hybrid" range. 

2. They also removed the dedicated WB, Drive, Picture Styles and AF mode buttons from its 4-way directional pad on the back (I don't see the point of this other then to screw users) and combined the Quick Menu and OK Selection button (that actually sounds like a good idea). 

3. They also reduced the AF points to non cross-type except for the center one at f/2.8 or faster (like the T3i).

The SL1/100D is a step-back in features from the Rebel T1i but its low weight and size almost balance it out, although it seems to be an EOS M with a mirror, a grip, added weight and size...
I don't have nor will I buy it so I guess I'm not an idiot  :P

It's the small one I'm interested in for previously stated reasons. The features will be good enough and I can use my current lenses with it. But I do think it's a bit expensive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
This body looks like a great deal for the price. The problem is that it doesn't have a solid go-to lens in the standard 35-50mm equivalent range for an APS-C sensor. A solid 24mm or 35mm f/2 for under $500 would make this a lot more competitive with the M4/3 offerings coming out. But Canon doesn't have one. This is where dedicated lenses make sense. This is why Fuji's X100s has a dedicated prime. I'd rather have one great non-removable 35mm equivalent lens... than a choice of 2nd rate lenses or over-priced and/or oversized lenses. And rocking a huge lens on an SL1 defeats the purpose of getting a small camera in the first place.

Quite so.  If you want a small camera and can put up with an electronic viewfinder (or none at all), micro 4/3 makes more sense with their range of superb small fast primes and very good zooms (e.g. to my surprise/dismay/delight, the Olympus 45 f1.8 - which weighs all of 4 oz - on my Olympus OMD makes sharper images than the Canon equivalent (85mm f/1.8) on my 6D; the Olympus 75 f/1.8 is better still).   

sheedoe

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
Slightly off topic; the T4i with 18-55mm lens kit is on eBay daily deal special for $579 with 4% eBay bucks. Since the T5i is not much of an upgrade, I'd jump on this deal if I was on the market for a rebel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T4i-18MP-CMOS-Digital-SLR-with-18-55mm-EF-S-IS-II-Lens-/321093662606?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item4ac2ac778e
Canon- 5D II x2 | 70D | 8-15mm f4L Fisheye | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II |100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x3 | 580EX II | ST-E3 RT | EOS M w/22mm Lens | Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | GH4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »