November 22, 2014, 10:45:44 PM

Author Topic: Best lens from my set for nightclubs?  (Read 5298 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Best lens from my set for nightclubs?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »
the 35

ideally 2 bodies with a 35 on one and an 85 on the other but if there can be only 1 take the 35
dont get too close to distort head shots if you want tighter crop it
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »

NorthDallas40

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »
On the question of zooms and primes, don't forget it is position that creates perspective NOT focal length, stand in the same place with a 24 as a 135 and crop the 24mm image and you get the same portrait, all be it with greater dof.

Not entirely true.  A longer lens will also provide a compression effect in portraits that is flattering.  That's why 135mm and 85mm are preferred lenses for portrait photographers.  24mm is fine for atmosphere or group shots, but too wide for individual or small group portraits.

Take the 24-105 and bump up the ISO a little.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »
On the question of zooms and primes, don't forget it is position that creates perspective NOT focal length, stand in the same place with a 24 as a 135 and crop the 24mm image and you get the same portrait, all be it with greater dof.

Not entirely true.  A longer lens will also provide a compression effect in portraits that is flattering.  That's why 135mm and 85mm are preferred lenses for portrait photographers.  24mm is fine for atmosphere or group shots, but too wide for individual or small group portraits.

Take the 24-105 and bump up the ISO a little.

Eh, the 24 f/1.4 makes for a superlative portrait lens, one of the best there is -- just not for head-and-shoulders portraits. See the review just posted to the front page for some examples.

Cheers,

b&

NorthDallas40

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
You, my friend, are 100% wrong. Stand in one place with all the focal lengths you have, take a series of shots from a tripod just changing lenses and then crop the resultant images to give you the same framing as your longest lens, the perspective will be the same in all of them, the dof will be different if you used the same aperture value, but the perspective will be the same. Longer lenses do not give any "compression effect". The reason medium focal lengths are often preferred for portraits is because of where those focal lengths make you stand to get the best framing.

Thanks, I learned something.  Your pictures are very instructive.

I've seen many horrible close-up portraits taken with wide angle lenses (mostly point and shoots come to think of it) where the subjects nose looked huge and distorted.  Is this just due to the camera being too close to the subject?

Eh, the 24 f/1.4 makes for a superlative portrait lens, one of the best there is -- just not for head-and-shoulders portraits. See the review just posted to the front page for some examples.
Cheers,
b&

Again, I stand corrected.  I meant close-up portraits, should have stated it that way.

NorthDallas40

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
Though in low light this could be another benefit, shoot at f1.4 for the shutter speed but get the dof of f4, win win. Unless you wanted very shallow dof!

Great idea.  1.4 or anything under 2.8 has razor-thin dof's.  Sometimes that's good, but often it would be preferable to get a little more dof while still enjoying the shutter speed possible with a wide aperture.  I'll experiment with this at a party we plan to attend tonight.

Thanks again.

npherno

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
Though in low light this could be another benefit, shoot at f1.4 for the shutter speed but get the dof of f4, win win. Unless you wanted very shallow dof!

Great idea.  1.4 or anything under 2.8 has razor-thin dof's.  Sometimes that's good, but often it would be preferable to get a little more dof while still enjoying the shutter speed possible with a wide aperture.  I'll experiment with this at a party we plan to attend tonight.

Thanks again.
Thank you to all the advice, particularly from those who actually read my post ;)

I don't have the 16-35L, and this would be a great lens for it. I don't have the cash for it at the moment.

RLPhoto - no idea why dance receptions are relevant to this...

LOALTD - I understand the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is pretty good, but I have the 35L and so have no compelling reason to buy it. I keep reading about autofocus issues, even with the Sigma, and so went for the 35L instead and have been pretty happy with it.  I was hoping for the 35L II but this seems like a fantasy.

TrumpetPower!  - I do have the 40mm pancake but hadn't considered it - 2.8 is only one stop faster than f/4, and with the high ISO capabilities of the 5D3 I would choose the 24-105 f/4 over the 40 f/2.8.  The reason to go for the primes in this environment would be to get substantially more aperture. I love the colour rendition of the 24L. I do take your point about it being more easily passed off as amateur though. My 40mm stays on my camera a lot of the time when I'm doing street photography as it is less conspicuous.

Sorry, I responded before my morning coffee!

Out of your collection, the 24-105 will be fine, especially if you are shooting with flash. I dont own a 5d3, but my 50D hunts like crazy in some scenarios without the faster lens or flash assist. Barring that, I think the flexibility for the unexpected will be pretty well suited with the zoom.

Lets see some of your work when you are done, and please check out the link I posted earlier. There is WAAY more info on that link that can help you out with tackling how to shoot in clubs.

Thank you actually, you gave me a push to go out and shoot tonight...

Regards..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »