Canon Rumors General > Germany

Importing Cameras from US

(1/3) > >>

unexposure:
Hey there,

I was wondering how many Euros one can save when importing a camera(Body) from US to Germany. I don't really get it how the math on tollfees etc. works.
Only real thing I found out, is that 19% tax gets ontop of the buying price. But I don't really understand the TARIC-thing.

Has anyone here experience in this and may help?

Sebastian:
No need to bother with custom fees, the import tax will already make the whole thing unattractive. ;)

Just a little example:

* The 5D Mk2 is currently sold at 2,499.95 USD at B&H.
* The cheapest way of shipping to Germany at B&H will add 59.25 USD on that, making it 2,559.20 USD in total.
* 2,559.20 USD currently equal 2,012.90 EUR
* Add 19% import tax on that and you get 2,395.35 EUR. (Yes, you also have to pay the import tax for shipping costs.)
* Now compare this to local prices in Germany: Surprise, surprise, you'll get the 5D Mk2 for around 1,900 EUR from reliable internet dealers.

Regards,

Sebastian

unexposure:

--- Quote from: Sebastian on September 01, 2010, 04:57:19 AM ---No need to bother with custom fees, the import tax will already make the whole thing unattractive. ;)

Just a little exampe:

Regards,

Sebastian

--- End quote ---
Thanks a lot Sebastian.

I had my calculation based on the pricing for 60D. (1099$ + ~60$ shipping)*0,19 tax still sums up at around 100€ below european price. So I was wondering if there would be such a custom fee.

Sebastian:

--- Quote from: unexposure on September 01, 2010, 05:03:20 AM ---I had my calculation based on the pricing for 60D. (1099$ + ~60$ shipping)*0,19 tax still sums up at around 100€ below european price. So I was wondering if there would be such a custom fee.

--- End quote ---

I guess(!) "9006 59" should be the proper TARIC code for digital SLRs which results in a customs duty of 4.20%.

For your 60D, this would mean ((1099$ + 4.20%) + 60$) + 19% ~= 1434$ ~= 1123€ (or maybe even ((1099$ + 60$) + 4.20% + 19% ~= 1437$ ~= 1126€ - I'm not totally sure on this) which is above the current German 1150€ street price.
On top of that, when buying in Germany, you won't have to bother with your customs office and won't run into hassle in case of a warranty issue.

HTH,

Sebastian

PS: You would buy cheaper if you buy the camera in a local store in the US on a holiday or business trip and bring it back without declaring at the airport customs. On the other hand, this would be illegal (evasion of taxes)...

unexposure:
Thanks for that! The 4.2% was the number I was missing. So it's not really a deal for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version